End of an era: Iconic JJ Green Night market to shut next week

webfact

End of an era: Iconic JJ Green Night market to shut next week

5pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

The Bangkok governor has confirmed that the popular JJ Green Night Market in Chatuchak will shut at the end of this month.

The authority's contract with V Multimedia to run the market that has been called "the coolest place to shop in Bangkok" has been terminated.

The area will be returned to the foundation of the Queen Sirikit Park.

The plan is to connect the Queen Sirikit Park, Chatujak Park and the Rot Fai (Railway) Park into one huge public park encompassing 727 rai of the capital's northern area.

Pol Gen Asawin Kwanmuang told Manager yesterday of the resolution of the metropolitan authority to press forward with the changes.

Moves are also underway to seek court action for 50 million baht in unpaid rents.

The JJ Green Market has been a popular attraction and can be seen listed online as the coolest place in Bangkok to shop.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-21

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Let's just destroy the culture and why people like coming here. Maybe they will put up statues of Prayut and Prawit?  that will attract a lot right? 

Yes, a lot of vandals and graffiti artists. I can see it now:

Prayut: A bird punch in the hand face in worth two in the bush ribs

Prawit: You're not doing that on my watch

yes another tourist attraction and thousands of stall holders and families with no income, thankyou JUNTA , what a nice name for a dictatorship, as in lost rent, if the cops done their job this money would be recouped in a few days.wondered why the stall holders were not more vocal like the Kho San road lot were/are

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The JJ Green Market has been a popular attraction and can be seen listed online as the coolest place in Bangkok to shop.

Cool, fun all banned, no more.  

5 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Let's just destroy the culture and why people like coming here. Maybe they will put up statues of Prayut and Prawit?  that will attract a lot right? 

Too late, saw a poster of little p at the Poipet border with some sort of nonsense written below it like strength, integrity, courage or other.   It made me laugh.  Just reminds one how delusional some people in Thailand are. 

There seems to be a concerted effort to completely destroy small, market-based business here in Thailand.  Part of the Thailand 4.0 initiative no doubt.  Like the students who are no longer allowed to do much of anything, these now disenfranchise micro-business owners comprise of large block of votes that aren't going to be junta friendly come election time - if there is election time that is.  :unsure:

10 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Don't forget the 300baht entry fee for foreigners to view their statues.

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Cool, fun all banned, no more.  

Too late, saw a poster of little p at the Poipet border with some sort of nonsense written below it like strength, integrity, courage or other.   It made me laugh.  Just reminds one how delusional some people in Thailand are. 

I always thought places like KS road were on a sticky wicket but JJ ?

An off road market area well publicised as a tourist & local attraction, I thought was safe

OK unpaid rents are another issue which should have been dealt with in an appropriate manner!

Taking a quote from the media today

''She accused Sakoltee  (vice governer of Bangkok) of being influenced by a few wealthy businessmen in the area and ignoring the interests of the vendors who will bear the consequences.''

Think it's quite clear what's going on now. This is not some bullcrap about pavements, or order. Big business, Big huge malls, Shopping parades have got their hands on the Junta and are forcing the markets out to try and protect the big busineses. 

Shopping malls around the world are failing, be it London, New York, Paris - with the advent of online shopping the malls are suffering. London, Paris, New York are all copying Bangkok by doing these organic market, street food. It's just unbelievable the Junta are destroying every iconic piece of their culture. 

Is this some kind of sick of joke the Junta are playing ?

These past few weeks these have been the first time I'm actually looking to vacation elsewhere. Just ridiculous, what is the matter with these people? 

Disgusted with this. What's next to ruin ?

42 minutes ago, JordanKonal said:

Is this some kind of sick of joke the Junta are playing ?

These past few weeks these have been the first time I'm actually looking to vacation elsewhere. Just ridiculous, what is the matter with these people? 

Disgusted with this. What's next to ruin ?

How many times you been to JJ Market

19 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

How many times you been to JJ Market

Two or three times every holiday - which is about twice a year for the last 12 years. I love the night markets. I liked JJ Market, as i could chill, drink, and relax in an outdoor setting. It was a cool vibe at night.

It's not just this one market. Siam market gone. Soi 38 Street food gone. Nana market gone. Street food from Sukhumvit road gone. Siam street food at night gone. Pop up bars gone. Khao San Road banning nonsense. ChinaTown is also planned to have bannings next month.

What's going on? This is stupidity on a whole new level. JJ Market isn't even on a bloody pavement ! 

There is literally no one there at those gardens at night other than gay people having sex in the bushes. 

15 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Personally I could care less about tourism. It doesn't affect me other than to annoy me when I have to follow a caravan of tour buses. 

We used to have that it Alaska....horrific when it is a 75 mile 2 lane round through nothing

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

somehow I doubt that. I see this more as a not paying the rent and your lease was up anyway gig. Bet it reopens somewhere else

You really see this as a rent issue? First it was pavements. Then it was sanitary conditions. Then it was fire and safety. This is a bloody market in a field, at night that is used by nobody, in a city that barely has any tourist attractions - bar it's markets (and a few temples). 

The volume of tourists this market (and many others alike) should be enough rent for the Thai Junta , after all they aren't investing anything in tourism themselves, unless there is Universal Studios Bangkok that the Thai Government are investing in, like it's Shiny neighbour invests in. Not only that, but allows Thai citizens to have a job and earn some money. This market is prominently promoted in many a holiday guide books. 

At least those having sex in the park at night can enjoy some peace now. 

1 minute ago, JordanKonal said:

Are you aware how vital tourism is to the Thailand economy? 

Maybe you should ask Pinocchio that question, after all he's the one throwing all the money around!!!!!!! 

Archived