Forum upgrade in progress! ×

End of an era: Iconic JJ Green Night market to shut next week

webfact

Just now, a977 said:

Maybe you should ask Pinocchio that question, after all he's the one throwing all the money around!!!!!!! 

I'd hazard a guess if you rounded up every single tourist none would say they are coming to Bangkok to visit a few green parks and orderly pavement space. 

What money is being thrown about? Are we talking Singapore, Dubai levels of investment in tourism?

11 minutes ago, JordanKonal said:

You really see this as a rent issue? First it was pavements. Then it was sanitary conditions. Then it was fire and safety. This is a bloody market in a field, at night that is used by nobody, in a city that barely has any tourist attractions - bar it's markets (and a few temples). 

The volume of tourists this market (and many others alike) should be enough rent for the Thai Junta , after all they aren't investing anything in tourism themselves, unless there is Universal Studios Bangkok that the Thai Government are investing in, like it's Shiny neighbour invests in. Not only that, but allows Thai citizens to have a job and earn some money. This market is prominently promoted in many a holiday guide books. 

At least those having sex in the park at night can enjoy some peace now. 

Seems to me that over the years, these markets have moved around as space got taken over or used for other purposes?

I think JJ moved to its spot from somewhere else in 2002? Correct me anyone..

Seems to me there is plenty to do in Bangkok.. I manage to find interesting things to do and Im fat and old and speak Thai like a 2 year old.

14 minutes ago, JordanKonal said:

I'd hazard a guess if you rounded up every single tourist none would say they are coming to Bangkok to visit a few green parks and orderly pavement space. 

What money is being thrown about? Are we talking Singapore, Dubai levels of investment in tourism?

Read article 'PM insists poll will be in February' 200 million to Chumphon for infrastructure did the same in the north and in the east if that's not pork barrelling I don't know what is

8 hours ago, JennaBurrows said:

Taking a quote from the media today

''She accused Sakoltee  (vice governer of Bangkok) of being influenced by a few wealthy businessmen in the area and ignoring the interests of the vendors who will bear the consequences.''

Think it's quite clear what's going on now. This is not some bullcrap about pavements, or order. Big business, Big huge malls, Shopping parades have got their hands on the Junta and are forcing the markets out to try and protect the big busineses. 

Shopping malls around the world are failing, be it London, New York, Paris - with the advent of online shopping the malls are suffering. London, Paris, New York are all copying Bangkok by doing these organic market, street food. It's just unbelievable the Junta are destroying every iconic piece of their culture. 

Correctomondo.

Dot the t's and i's.

Who owns the malls?

Who loves the Junta?

Bingo.

Market owners throwing around the 50 million in baht rent arrears is just something to distract from the real reasons for closing the market. If it was serious, they should have collected the rents or thrown the vendors out. Simple. Nope, pressure was applied by some big developers. Expanding transit lines are opening up more of the city, making everything more valuable. In a couple of years, the city will announce a project approval, sugar-coating it with promised park space. So expect another giant condo/mall project. JJ Mall?

Meanwhile, year after year, Bangkok keeps throwing away its gems.

6 hours ago, JordanKonal said:

Are you aware how vital tourism is to the Thailand economy? 

Honestly why would I care how well the economy is doing?

The economy right now is so good that my Canadian loonie has lost 5 bht to the dollar for the last 4 years.

And... why do you care whether the economy does well or not? 

A strong thai bht is no good for foreigners.

7 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Personally I could care less about tourism. It doesn't affect me other than to annoy me when I have to follow a caravan of tour buses. 

tourists = baht for the economy, which means we get the benefit of any development. So tourists are welcome as far as Im concerned. I dislike the chinese tour groups when they swarm establishments and also the drunks but thats my problem to resolve. 

Taking a quote from the media today : 

''She accused Sakoltee  (vice governer of Bangkok) of being influenced by a few wealthy businessmen in the area and ignoring the interests of the vendors who will bear the consequences.''

Think it's quite clear what's going on now. This is not some bullcrap about pavements, or order. Big business, Big huge malls, Shopping parades have got their hands on the Junta and are forcing the markets out to try and protect the big busineses. 

Shopping malls around the world are failing, be it London, New York, Paris - with the advent of online shopping the malls are suffering. London, Paris, New York are all copying Bangkok by doing these organic market, street food. It's just unbelievable the Junta are destroying every iconic piece of their culture. 
And just at the same time the shopping mall between Chatuchak and JJ Green market is resuming it's construction and soon to be finished, if they can find tenants.

Just mind spinning, but easy solution is close the nearby market and offer the businesses to find a new space at this new mall.

And the whole thing is done by the owner of this mall through tea money for the corrupt Bangkok governor.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:13 PM, JennaBurrows said:

And operating 'MAKE BANGKOK BORING' continues. 

Just unbelievable how much this unelected Junta is destroying the city. 

Read Country

The hiso’s Are laughing in thier socks while the populace are wallowing in enforced family debt

I heard from a Thai friend that some vendors and businesses will resume open and stay at the area until they are forced to go / things get demolished.
Might see this as kind of resistance but in two weeks we'll know more.

Archived