Best Visa?

Hello, I have a few visa related questions.

I’ve been in Thailand 17 years, and worked all of that time for a US based BOI registered company. The office always handled visa and work permits up until I retired 4 months ago.

I’ve been married to a Thai 16 years and we have a 15 year old boy.

What is the best visa for me to get, and what is the easiest way to get it? do not plan on working here, but I may relocate temporarily to the US in three years for my boy to go to university and for my wife to qualify for my social security benefit.

I am a US citizen, and I’m in the country now on a 30-day stamp that will expire at the end of the month, about 5 days before I plan to exit. What is the best way to extend this?

We are in the Lat Krabang area of Bangkok.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

You can get a 30 day extension of  the visa exempt entry or a 60 day extension to visit your wife at Chaeng Wattana immigration.

To apply for the 60 day extension your wife will need to be with you. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy and a copy of her house book registry. You will need proof of residence unless living where your wife's house book is for.

If you want a longer extension you could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration based upon qualifying  for a extension of stay based upon marriage or retirement (if 50 or over). You would need to the same supporting documents and financial proof required for the extension.

Then during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you would apply for a one year extension of stay.

• Like 1

To extend for 5 days until you exit, a 30 day extension from CW Immigration is the easiest option. 1,900 baht.

For return to Thailand, it depends on your future plans.

If your going back and forth, consider the Non Imm O multi entry Visa.

1 year validity, each entry 90 days.

Each 90 day entry can be extended by 60 days.

If you'll mainly be staying in Thailand, obtain the Non Imm O SE Visa.

Within the last 30 days of that Visa apply for a 1 year extension at CW. 1,900 baht.

Financial requirements for extension based on marriage (2.18) or retirement (2.22) here;

Immigration Bureau order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en.pdf

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mogandave said:

If I get a non imm O, is that a multi-entry?

You could get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry valid.

But it does not appear you will able to do it before leaving since it requires 15 days remaining on your entry and it takes about 2 weeks to get the visa/entry stamps.

You could easily get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai while in the states.

You could apply by mail to the embassy in DC or one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. Or in person at one of the honorary consulates listed here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

A copy of your marriage certifcate and your wife's house book registry would be needed. A honorary consulate might want them to be translated to English though.

• Like 1

You could get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry valid.
But it does not appear you will able to do it before leaving since it requires 15 days remaining on your entry and it takes about 2 weeks to get the visa/entry stamps.
You could easily get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai while in the states.
You could apply by mail to the embassy in DC or one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. Or in person at one of the honorary consulates listed here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/
A copy of your marriage certifcate and your wife's house book registry would be needed. A honorary consulate might want them to be translated to English though.

Thanks, I’ll be in Chattanooga, so Atlanta should work.

I’m in LA for a few days, but only on weekends...

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Is there decent parking at the Chaing Wattana office or should I take a taxi?

We're in Lat Krabang.

Thanks

Parking is available, but you might end up with a long walk. It is a long trip in a taxi, but taxis in Thailand are rather cheap, so you might consider it. Depending on time of day, you might have difficulty getting a taxi for your return, though you ought to be able to call up a Grab taxi.

• Like 1