Any tips on how to not get sick in Thailand

Bonobojt

2 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

God it’s frustrating eating out now in the western world, now that I’m gluten free dairy free, sugar free etc.. I’ve got to spend the night at Gatwick airport then then another night at Copenhagen airport then I’m off to Bangkok, dam I should of got a direct flight, can’t wait to have access to the Thai diet.

had a sirloin steak yesterday, haven’t eaten a steak in years, my body didn’t react well to it , bad idea that was. 

I’m such a mess at the moment it’s quite laughable 

Naw dude, based on what you are saying, a mess would be a lukewarm Big Mac, Fries, Strawberry Shake (large) followed by two belts of expresso and a can of chili.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2018 at 11:56 PM, Sheryl said:

Not what you are asking for, but:

From your posting history you seem to have somatization disorder which is a type of anxiety disorder. In which case no amount of health precautions are going to help. I strongly suggest you see a good psychologist to address the underlying anxiety and help you stop being so hypervigilant about physical sensations and minor ailments

I recommend that the OP reads "The conceited ill" or "Le malade imaginaire" in french, written by Molière a long time ago. It will be like looking in a mirror.

Cheers.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:01 AM, stud858 said:

Poor hygiene in most places.

I cook myself and buy meat early in the day at food land or big c.

Fresh veg.

Be careful what drinks your accepting.

Be wary of cutlery and glasses.

Use alcohol wipes.

If the place your eating at looks clean then risk it. Otherwise..walk away .

Stay away from seafood at restaurants.

Draft beer is a major cause of stomach upsets here in Thailand  as is the moisture that gathers in the base of bottle chiller condoms.  Do not imbibe this fluid when tipping your head back to drink the last of a bottle of beer.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Draft beer is a major cause of stomach upsets here in Thailand  as is the moisture that gathers in the base of bottle chiller condoms.  Do not imbibe this fluid when tipping your head back to drink the last of a bottle of beer.

That just made me gag

be carefull with cooled drinks in hot weather , the iceboxes/ icecubes in yr iced tea. coffe etc. are not very clean in most cases , too much icecold drinks will upset your digestive system, been eating from foodstalls , markets for 12 years now and never had a serious problem , maybe my tummy is a bit stronger than most foreigners ,

i do drink / smoke / party so other than a hangover after a good day not much going on .

take care , avoid ac rooms for long periods if possible 

drink loads of water at room temp.

don't worry about getting sick , your mind can make you feel sick !

1 hour ago, The manic said:

It's a 100 % medical fact. Most people know this. Ignorant and uneducated people being the exception.

What Sheryl mentioned above is in all likelyhood a good description of what is ailing the OP. Chances are slim, that OP will find cure, by returning to Thailand over and over again, seeking cure and ending up in the "wrong places", relieving his wallet but not  his mental pain.

But then, as long as OP goes by "Bonobo" (google it), it may disclose a fundamental outlook on (his) life that leaves just very little room for Emphaty, Compassion, normal human interaction. Possibly a rare form of Autism, not immediately recognizable in daily life, but constantly looking "inward", mentally and phsically.

No wonder, that any kind of "ailements" can be produced on a daily basis, symptoms ranging from Cholera to Thyphus over to Ebola.

We all know the "medical-history" of "Bonobo". He has survived every medical-challenge a human-being (born by a woman) can ever hope to survive.

What he needs is a firm Thai-Woman that is not afraid to hit him over the head with a blunt object, excaiming "YOU THINK TOO MUCH" and the dark spot on your left big toe is not a cancerous growth, you just should shower more often.

No doubt, if "Bonobo" should spend a sunless winter in Greenland, he would return to the Forum, opening a fierce discussion about skin-cancer.

And everybody will take the bait.

Cheers.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:58 PM, tagalong said:

I am 80 y o....I've lived here for 20 years n do not get sick..(touch wood)...?

I av been drinking pure lemon juice or lime juice from frozen pks half cup every 3 days...

If I get a slight touch of the sniffles / cold, I take eucalyptus oil equal to 2 eye drops of, with sugar in a teaspoon..

The sugar drowns out the eq taste..Old bush remedy from my farming days in OZ ..Been doing this from when I was 7 years old...

I got caught on street food 15 years ago n never touched it since..Always buy from big stores now where one can see it is clean in preparation...

From what I av seen on street food over the years would turn ones stomach...

Some street food is questionable at best because they keep reusing the left overs which means the total amount of time it is un refrigerated can be hours or days.  Do take the standard silver plus centrum type of vitamins, and I suggest a zinc supplement to help with throat issues.  I have found the biggest problem is an older hotel with filthy un cleaned air filters or hotels with central air.  The mold and bacteria in them can be horrible.

4 hours ago, The manic said:

you having a bad day mate, sounds like it. Slagging off other people with one liners is hardly helping the debate. 

12 hours ago, swissie said:

I recommend that the OP reads "The conceited ill" or "Le malade imaginaire" in french, written by Molière a long time ago. It will be like looking in a mirror.

Cheers.

I think you mean “The Hypocondriac” - I saw it on stage in London with that bloke who played Nick in ‘My Family’ as the maid’s boyfriend: brilliant play - I wish Moliere was performed more often, as he is as relevant today as he was then.

I’m very aware I have mental illness, but what I’m suffering with is actually happening and there’s no way I can prove it so what I can do or say to make you believe me

if you’ve seen the movie Taxi Driver with Robert DeNiro, that guy had mental problems, I’m not saying I’m like him but we got some things in common. 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:42 AM, soistalker said:

I like Stud858's idea to buy the chicken early in the morning at Big C or Tesco Lotus where I go. It is always out in the open for people to sneeze or cough on.  

The cheap chicken is out in the open in big bins, but a lot of the chicken has been packaged and dated, in the refrigerated meat section. I've never had a problem with it no matter what time of the day I buy it. 

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude I dont play a psychiatrist, but if you know you are mentally ill, you arent really...after all insight is one of the key elements ?

Not really; neurotics have an insight into their conditions (manic/depressive, obsessive/compulsive etc) but psychotics don’t. Maybe he’s unfortunately one of those.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

Not really; neurotics have an insight into their conditions (manic/depressive, obsessive/compulsive etc) but psychotics don’t. Maybe he’s unfortunately one of those.

Then my comment stands ?

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

you having a bad day mate, sounds like it. Slagging off other people with one liners is hardly helping the debate. 

I am not criticizing anyone by pointing out a common hazard. Draught beer in Thailand and the dirty water that collects in the bottom of rubber bottle chillers  are both a source of upset stomachs.  Avoiding draught beer in Thailand, where there is no 'cellar man' tradition and where slops are recycled is a good, practical health tip. Can't see how good advice is slagging anybody off. Take care mate.

49 minutes ago, The manic said:

Avoiding draught beer in Thailand, where there is no 'cellar man' tradition and where slops are recycled is a good, practical health tip. 

Whats a cellar man? And you guys-that-speak-a-form-of-english-other-than-yank recycle slops? Like that spit and shit in the bottom of a mug?

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Whats a cellar man? And you guys-that-speak-a-form-of-english-other-than-yank recycle slops? Like that spit and shit in the bottom of a mug?

Prior to electric cooling of beer on its way from the cask to the tap, beer was naturally cooled by being stored in a cellar and the cellar man rotated the stock etc. The slops in a barrel - known as ullage - were generally the product of the first and last pumpings from a barrel, caused normally by sediment, and was tossed away (the brewery allowed a certain percentage of loss per barrel). With modern hermetically sealed barrels this need/practice has pretty much fallen away although a standard 30 litre barrel only has a shelf life of around three weeks (I think) and maybe that’s where a ‘slop problem’ can still arise.

21 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

Prior to electric cooling of beer on its way from the cask to the tap, beer was naturally cooled by being stored in a cellar and the cellar man rotated the stock etc. The slops in a barrel - known as ullage - were generally the product of the first and last pumpings from a barrel, caused normally by sediment, and was tossed away (the brewery allowed a certain percentage of loss per barrel). With modern hermetically sealed barrels this need/practice has pretty much fallen away although a standard 30 litre barrel only has a shelf life of around three weeks (I think) and maybe that’s where a ‘slop problem’ can still arise.

Thanks...when your idea of beer is a warm Budweiser out of a dented can, you can understand why I asked.

Thats the only thing drives me nuts about Thailand...I have to drink beer...mainly cuz I havent found Absolut in a go go ?

And i refuse to pay for it anyway....

On 8/25/2018 at 5:50 AM, Nyezhov said:

I would think the “slops” are any overflow from filling glasses of beer from the draught beer tap.  Usually there is a tray beneath the tap to catch this and it could amount to several glasses and loss of profit if not recycled.

4 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

I would think the “slops” are any overflow from filling glasses of beer from the draught beer tap.  Usually there is a tray beneath the tap to catch this and it could amount to several glasses and loss of profit if not recycled.

The cellar man is the guy responsible for cleaning the taps and lines thus ensuring hygienic standards. His job includes flushing the lines with water and keeping the cellar where the barrels and kegs are stored in good order. The slops are left over beer in glasses and drip trays which can be mixed with fresh beer. This is unhygenic. BTW. This and my other comment on this subject are standard British English though it is possible that an illiterate with a small vocabulary might struggle as they would struggle with a broadsheet. 

On 8/25/2018 at 3:14 AM, Bogbrush said:

There is also a device, or used to be, to open a metal keg, top it up with slops, and then repressurise it. Obviously with wooden barrels this is much easier.

The only thing that's ever made me sick in Thailand, despite dozens of visits, is a fruit smoothie vendor on Soi Rambuttri near Khao San Road on my first trip. I had an apple smoothie, and didn't eat anything else, but a few hours later started vomiting which lasted over 24 hours. It was one of those vendors with a blender on the counter. It was a toilet-hugging experience that I don't want to happen again so avoid these vendors like the plague.

When I was vomiting into the toilet I could see things moving in the toilet bowl, and when I asked a Thai person about it they said don't worry it's only larvae! It was not pleasant.

9 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

The only thing that's ever made me sick in Thailand, despite dozens of visits, is a fruit smoothie vendor on Soi Rambuttri near Khao San Road on my first trip. I had an apple smoothie, and didn't eat anything else, but a few hours later started vomiting which lasted over 24 hours. It was one of those vendors with a blender on the counter. It was a toilet-hugging experience that I don't want to happen again so avoid these vendors like the plague.

When I was vomiting into the toilet I could see things moving in the toilet bowl, and when I asked a Thai person about it they said don't worry it's only larvae! It was not pleasant.

Next time dont order the smoothie with protein. ?

Archived