A sad affair in the South: deportation for voluntarily teaching kids in Pattani

webfact

A sad affair in the South

By The Nation

images.jpg

Three Myanmar nationals face deportation for voluntarily teaching kids in Pattani. It can’t be allowed to happen

This past week Immigration police in Pattani arrested a tourist and two migrant workers from Myanmar for doing volunteer work at a Buddhist temple in the conflict-ravaged southernmost province.

They were teaching elementary subjects to children of migrant workers, who are largely neglected and denied the goods and services to which Thai children are entitled.

The three have legitimate visas and the two workers have the prerequisite permits. One of the latter is pregnant and her employer gave her time off, which she was putting to noble use at the Laem Nok Monastery in Pattani.

Then officials from the Immigration Department, Fourth Army Area, Tourist Police and Labour Ministry Employment Department raided the monastery in Tambon Banna, Muang Pattani. The three from Myanmar were arrested for the teaching work they were doing, despite the fact they were not paid for it.

The Migrant Working Group and Human Rights Development Foundation clarified that the three were doing a job reserved for Thais. The migrant workers were “instructed to sign a document, written in Thai, which they did not understand, before receiving a fine of Bt5,000 in lieu of imprisonment,” they said in a statement.

All three were taken on Monday to the Ranong Immigration Centre, from where they’ll be deported, banned for two years from re-entering Thailand to work. Lawyers from the two labour-rights groups have asked a court to review the case.

The Thai authorities should be ashamed of this action. These good-hearted people were working as unpaid volunteers and deserve praise, not deportation.

That our labour and security agencies cannot see beyond the narrowest interpretation of the law is disturbing. They have ignored justice, which is the spirit of the law, and overlooked the human element in this case.

This unnecessary and repressive action does not reflect Thais’ understanding of mercy and kindness. If the deportation proceeds, then our moral compass is worryingly askew.

Coupled with the supportive testimony of monks at the temple, legitimate passports, visas and work permits should be ample documentation to ensure that such minor transgression by such helpful foreigners is overlooked. But, no – the authorities prefer to throw the book at them.

Is prejudice against Myanmar people or migrant workers a factor in this matter? Would the same fate befall Caucasian foreigners voluntarily teaching underprivileged children at a temple?

Rather, Thai citizens would be praising them. Our compassion somehow does not extend to our immediate neighbours to the west, however, no matter how backbreaking the low-paying jobs they’re willing to do for us.

The Laem Nok Monastery has had a learning centre for the children of migrant workers for more than four years. It helps keep the kids, ranging in age from four to 14, from feeling neglected or exploited while their parents are at their labours. The youngsters learn Thai as well as lessons in their own languages. 

Local businesses cover the cost of lunches and materials and the teachers are all unpaid volunteers, including college students. The provincial government is fully aware of the project and the community lends its support. This is a valuable and worthwhile operation.

We must not let the three arrested people be deported in shame. To do so would be to honour the letter of the law and ignore its spirit, its true intent. To do so would be to disrespect our core values as a people and as a nation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30352677

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-22

"...That our labour and security agencies cannot see beyond the narrowest interpretation of the law is disturbing. They have ignored justice, which is the spirit of the law, and overlooked the human element in this case.

This unnecessary and repressive action does not reflect Thais’ understanding of mercy and kindness. If the deportation proceeds, then our moral compass is worryingly askew..."

This situation is a reflection of a military government which has turned over responsibility for policy and governing (outside of strict security matters) to the Bureaucracy. And in a Bureaucracy-led environment kindness, humanity and decency pale in comparison to following rules and regulations.

THIS is the true damage being done to Thailand on a daily basis; Thais have a wonderful spirit of joy and a society based on the idea that 'fun' is something to strive for everyday.

That beautiful spirit is being stomped on, over and over and over again...

PS Sometimes people here on the Forum ask what are the real benefits of Democracy, and this is a clear example. An elected, accountable person who talked to his or her constituents would know that this was a good thing that was supported by the people. The arrest would not have happened or if it did, it would have been already reversed.

This is why Thailand needs accountable people in positions of power.

There're many injustices in this country being brought to bare of good people with good intentions, unfortunately, laws will be changed to project more sanity and rationality that the 21st century deserves, good people will continue to pay the price... 

31 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

An elected, accountable person who talked to his or her constituents would know that this was a good thing that was supported by the people. The arrest would not have happened or if it did, it would have been already reversed.

I agree with the sentiment of your main post, but this part is categorically untrue. There are pages and pages of articles about gross injustices practiced by Thai authorities under elected government: Tsunami volunteers, mushroom pickers, and refugee boats pushed out to sea but to name  few.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

visas and work permits should be ample documentation to ensure that such minor transgression by such helpful foreigners is overlooked.

Is it too early to call BS on that Phuket law firm's interpretation of the new labour laws? ?

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...That our labour and security agencies cannot see beyond the narrowest interpretation of the law is disturbing. They have ignored justice, which is the spirit of the law, and overlooked the human element in this case.

This unnecessary and repressive action does not reflect Thais’ understanding of mercy and kindness. If the deportation proceeds, then our moral compass is worryingly askew..."

This situation is a reflection of a military government which has turned over responsibility for policy and governing (outside of strict security matters) to the Bureaucracy. And in a Bureaucracy-led environment kindness, humanity and decency pale in comparison to following rules and regulations.

THIS is the true damage being done to Thailand on a daily basis; Thais have a wonderful spirit of joy and a society based on the idea that 'fun' is something to strive for everyday.

That beautiful spirit is being stomped on, over and over and over again...

PS Sometimes people here on the Forum ask what are the real benefits of Democracy, and this is a clear example. An elected, accountable person who talked to his or her constituents would know that this was a good thing that was supported by the people. The arrest would not have happened or if it did, it would have been already reversed.

This is why Thailand needs accountable people in positions of power.

Happened when there was a democracy too.  Wrong to tout a political bias here, although that argument may apply in other respects.

The law is right on this occasion, but the treatment harsh- token warning would have sufficed.

I understand laws will be relaxed in regard to work permits; I suppose the authorities are sticking the boot in while they can.

34 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

I thought the law regarding work and work permits had changed, facilitating people working in different places other than that cited on the work permit.

Many have been asking whether this had been tested so far--here is the answer

Different locations, yes, perhaps, but not in different fields with different employers.

The article does not state what they had work permits for.

"This unnecessary and repressive action does not reflect Thais’ understanding of mercy and kindness"

We all know that Thai don't have understanding of mercy and authorities are never kind to migrants, so how could it possible reflect ?

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

{snipped}

This is why Thailand needs accountable people in positions of power

Sadly, there is no accounting for people in positions of power. They know they're above the law (not that I'm condoning that).

Common sense will be used surely.

Nothing from any gov dept makes any imagery of common sense in Thailand...I av taught here for 7 years n retired 10 years ago...

I av volunteered to help at local school, but because I av to get a w/permit n pay for it to do voluntary work, I declined....

The people wanting to increase their knowledge miss out due to the no-common-sense-factor...

A lesson, were one needed, in what happens when you put venal people in a position of authority, give them a uniform ( which to their blinkered minds confers status) and allow their bigoted views to drive their official actions, untrammeled by a regime to whom the concept of any accountability to its people is abhorrent.

51 minutes ago, tagalong said:

Common sense will be used surely.

Nothing from any gov dept makes any imagery of common sense in Thailand...I av taught here for 7 years n retired 10 years ago...

I av volunteered to help at local school, but because I av to get a w/permit n pay for it to do voluntary work, I declined....

The people wanting to increase their knowledge miss out due to the no-common-sense-factor...

there is a wealth of knowledge available, much of it free of charge, from ex-pats who are more than willing to teach a few hours a week in the local schools (including myself) - but no, the government is too bloody stupid to see past the end of their desks.  

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This situation is a reflection of a military government which has turned over responsibility for policy and governing (outside of strict security matters) to the Bureaucracy

Nah... they wanted my work permit when I was helping The Thai Red Cross during 2011 floods 

I can see both sides and in my head it kind of comes down to what some call a “heartless versus headless” argument/issue in that each “side” tends to be of a mutually exclusive nature and implies the opposing viewpoint can’t or shouldn’t exist.

In THIS case I’d wonder if there is room for a compromise that address the fact (based on what I read here only) that there appears to be a legitimate claim of immigration law violation — but also allows for the group to continue what they’re doing - which again, only from what’s written here, sounds like it’s in the kingdoms best interest... a win-win so to speak.

This shows how selfish and ungreatful Thai people are, they choose to remain insular and ignorant comparing to the rest of the world, all they focus on is how to rip people off, clearly they don’t deserve any of the tourists money, the longer I live here the less I like these people. They jungle is were they belong hence shouldn’t even be allowed to travel overseas no matter how filthy rich they are, knowledge is gold !

Archived