Tourist visa after expired ED visa.

Hi guys,i made an ED visa in June but since i missed too many classes i will not be able to make an extension in Septeber.Will i have any problem making tourist visa after having ED visa expired in such a way?Do i need to cancel ED visa before flying out of Thailand?Im planning to go to Hanoi apply for tourist visa there.

It should not be a problem to get a tourist visa after having a single entry non-ed visa.

No need to or even possible to cancel your visa. Same for the 90 day entry from it. Immigration only cancels extensions of stay.

My understanding:

The permitted-stay from a "Visa" obtained at a consulate abroad remains valid even if the reason for its issuance no longer exists.  It would not need to be cancelled.  Therefore, if you are within the 90-days given from the visa you obtained abroad, you do not need to cancel anything.

The permitted-stay from an "extension of stay" received from immigration ends the day that the reason for its issuance no longer exists.   What you may have read about cancelling refers to this situation.

What about Hanoi embassy,is it not problematic now?Also how many tourist visas can i have now?I have already one tourist visa in the passport.If i will make another one in Hanoi,can i make 2 more in Laos then,or is it too much and i will have problems?

Thanks for the answers! I just worry that there could be questions as im staying in Thailand since June 2017.  Tourist visa first,then ED visa for 9 months,now its new ED visa for 3 months since June till September.It looks too suspicious isn't it? Or i will be fine?

I would go to Laos first. Don't let too many visas accumulate in your passport and use land border as much as possible.

I got turned down in Ho Chi Minh before for a tourist visa because they saw an ed visa in my passport. Had to fly to Laos and apply there.

Good luck

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mobako said:

Thanks for the answers! I just worry that there could be questions as im staying in Thailand since June 2017.  Tourist visa first,then ED visa for 9 months,now its new ED visa for 3 months since June till September.It looks too suspicious isn't it? Or i will be fine?

if I am wrong, then I apologise, but you have held a ED visa for twelve months “but missed to many classes”, with this statement it appears obvious that you are using and abusing the system. It’s obvious that you are trying to live in Thailand using irrelevant visas .

9 minutes ago, DipStick said:

if I am wrong, then I apologise, but you have held a ED visa for twelve months “but missed to many classes”, with this statement it appears obvious that you are using and abusing the system. It’s obvious that you are trying to live in Thailand using irrelevant visas .

He wrote that he obtained the non-ed visa in June and is on the 90 entry from it. He would only be applying for the first 90 day extension of his entry.

5 hours ago, mobako said:

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He wrote that he obtained the non-ed visa in June and is on the 90 entry from it. He would only be applying for the first 90 day extension of his entry.

Yes the actual Visa.. But he had an ED Visa before for 9 months. So in Total about 14 month as DipStick told.

With only 1 ED Visa I think there should be no problem. But with 1 ED (9 Months) + 1 ED (3 Months) how it looks? Because I think I ever heared the maximum for ED is anyway 14 months in Total.. so he could do only 1 more extension anyway. But not sure if this Info about 14 Months ED Visa is correct.

4 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Yes the actual Visa.. But he had an ED Visa before for 9 months. So in Total about 14 month as DipStick told.

With only 1 ED Visa I think there should be no problem. But with 1 ED (9 Months) + 1 ED (3 Months) how it looks? Because I think I ever heared the maximum for ED is anyway 14 months in Total.. so he could do only 1 more extension anyway. But not sure if this Info about 14 Months ED Visa is correct.

I was going by what he wrote in his first post.

It is 12 months of total stay that includes the 90 entry from non-ed visa and three 90 day extensions. Then to continue the studies a new non-ed visa is needed to start a new year if his course of study allows it.

6 hours ago, mobako said:

I had first ED visa from Sep 2017 till May 2018,and now im on second ED visa from June which i cant extend in September.So considering this my chances of getting tourist visa in Hanoi are not too high?

I see not reason for you to be denied a tourist visa there. Most embassies and consulates don't deny getting a visa solely for having been on a non-ed visa or extensions.

• 3 months later...

I got the visa back then but spent 3 hours at Don Mueng and almost got rejected from entering even i had 20 000 with me.Now i will try to avoid DM and Suvarnabhumi.

Right now there are visas in my passport:

1 Hanoi     tourist
2 Hochiminh ed
3 Vientiane ed
4 Hanoi     tourist

Vientiane ??tourist??

Im planning to go to Vientiane for tourist visa next week.Are chances that i will get it good enough  considering all my previous visas?

Listen to the experts over me, but I think firstly you will get a TV at Vientiane no problem. If for some reason (you wouldn't I know) fly from Vientiane to don mueang, there might be a chance of being rejected. Enter via border nong kai no problem

12 minutes ago, mobako said:

Are chances that i will get it good enough  considering all my previous visas?

You will not have a problem in Vientiane getting a tourist visa. They only count tourist visas issued by them and you have none from there.

18 minutes ago, mobako said:

I got the visa back then but spent 3 hours at Don Mueng and almost got rejected from entering even i had 20 000 with me.Now i will try to avoid DM and Suvarnabhumi.

Right now there are visas in my passport:

1 Hanoi     tourist
2 Hochiminh ed
3 Vientiane ed
4 Hanoi     tourist

Vientiane ??tourist??

Im planning to go to Vientiane for tourist visa next week.Are chances that i will get it good enough  considering all my previous visas?

They have actively hated ED Visa holders at the Bangkok airports for years, which includes anyone with an expired-ED in their passport / history.   I am somewhat surprised you got in, given recent reports - even with the 20K Baht worth of cash.  Glad you did, though - for your sake, and the Thai businesses where you spend money.

Vientiane will issue you a TR visa up until you have a stamp on a TR Visa which reads, "This person travels to Thailand frequently using Tourist Visas..."  Vientiane will give you this "remark stamp" after 3 or 4 TR Visas from them (usually, but could be sooner), and will also look for this remark on a TR Visa from another consulate.  Once you get one of these "remark stamps," it is time to get a new passport from your embassy (as consulate-personnel will advise).

If you go to Vientiane for your next Tourist Visa, be sure and enter Thailand overland by Crossing Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai - then fly onward domestic-air from Udon Thanni.  That way - no problem on entry.  I would also carry the 20K Baht, though it is unlikely they will ask to see it at that crossing.

• 4 months later...

So now my situation looks like that.

Visas i have now:

1 Hanoi     tourist
2 Hochiminh ed
3 Vientiane ed
4 Hanoi     tourist

5 Vientiane tourist

6 Savannakhet tourist

I have my new passport waiting for me in the embassy in Vietnam,but  i want to try to get one more tourist visa in Laos and i wont mind getting red/blue stamp.

Questions:

-Will that stamp lead me to any negative consequences in future even with new passport?Do they have any databases of people who are getting those stamps?Will i have problem getting tourist visa again in the embassy who stamped it?(with new passport)

-Where is it better to go first-Savannakhet ot Vientiane?

Right now im planning to go to Savannakhet first and if rejected i will go to Vientiane.

18 hours ago, mobako said:

I have my new passport waiting for me in the embassy in Vietnam,but  i want to try to get one more tourist visa in Laos and i wont mind getting red/blue stamp.

Questions:

-Will that stamp lead me to any negative consequences in future even with new passport?Do they have any databases of people who are getting those stamps?Will i have problem getting tourist visa again in the embassy who stamped it?(with new passport)

They do not keep any records of the stamp or previous visas. No problem to get more visas with a new passport.

It does no matter where you apply first. Just remember Vientiane requires a appointment now to do the application.

19 hours ago, mobako said:

Right now im planning to go to Savannakhet first and if rejected i will go to Vientiane.

Make sure to book your appointment at the embassy in Vientiane as early as possible. Usually takes a few weeks until you get one.