New driving fines, also for scooters?

banagan

For motorcyclists it is proposed from 500 to 5000 baht: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1053323-get-tough-measures-aim-to-reduce-road-death-toll-among-motorcyclists-by-50/

For car drivers it is proposed from 1000 baht to 50,000 baht: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1053714-huge-increase-in-fines-and-jail-terms-for-drivers-without-licenses/

But the new fines aren't in effect yet. They are only proposed and still need approval from Cabinet, which could come before October

52 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I guess it would go through some sort of hearing at a court

If thats the case this court is going to the busiest in town. In a country where cases have been known to take 15 years and where the rich and famous tend to find reasons never to attend this will be hilarious.

On 8/23/2018 at 12:59 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

For motorcyclists it is proposed from 500 to 5000 baht: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1053323-get-tough-measures-aim-to-reduce-road-death-toll-among-motorcyclists-by-50/

For car drivers it is proposed from 1000 baht to 50,000 baht: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1053714-huge-increase-in-fines-and-jail-terms-for-drivers-without-licenses/

But the new fines aren't in effect yet. They are only proposed and still need approval from Cabinet, which could come before October

So ten times more for a motorbike, and FIFTY times more for a motorist. Which of those causes/has the most accidents I wonder?

14 hours ago, banagan said:

Jesus, that'll be a real $hit show... who carries 5k on them! 

They won't need too, just carry their driving license, 

if the dont have one they should not be on the roads,

as they most likely have no insurance either,anything

that improves road safety .has to be a good thing.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I dont think it will be on the spot fines. I guess it would go through some sort of hearing at a court but who knows

Most tourists won't be able to wait for the court case, so that should be interesting.

Recently I did my 90 day report at Phetchaburi Immigration using a letter from my condotel showing that was my address, all OK'.  I have an international Car and HR Drivers (for trucks)licence issued in Australia.  I went to the licencing people in Cha-a to see if I could get a car and motor licence (4th time in 2 years), I have been driving in Aus trucks, school buses, taxis and cars for 59 years and have never had a crash (opps I did break a few windscreens).  I cannot believe the red tape...get the medical from doctors secretary Bt80, go to immigration 1st get 90 day entry on your passport showing your address.  90 day entry in passport not acceptable at licencing office in Cha-am.  Need to get letter from Condotel stating my address, go to Australian Embassy in Bangkok (400 km all day trip and make an appointment now) and pay Bt3000 (now) for a stat dec declaring that the information contained in the letter from my Condotel is correct and that the stat dec is in fact correct.  I will then be able to submit all the required documents  and take the driving test in Cha-am, soon?.   I have been riding a motor bikes in Thailand now for 6 years...what a lot of rubbish...I have just given up, however if they do increase the fine to $5000 the little old bloke down the corner who I rent a bike from by the month will just have to miss out.  I'll just have to buy a push bike and make sure my girlfriend gives me a double dink when we go out to diner or what else.  As I change my girlfriends from time to time I'm not sure she will have a licence either.  If she gets caught I suppose I'll have to pay her Bt5000 fine or be left in the dog house (no really true but could be?  5555)

I have been pulled over for not have motor bike licence in Hua Hin 4 times.  Never in Cha-am where I live.  2 times let off 2 times fined Bt500.  The police on one occasion just saw me get the international licence out didn't look just said you go.  One other policeman pulled me up just after the King died look at my international licence said "no motorbike entry" he saw I had a black ribbon in my shoulder and and said "thank you for respecting our grief for departed King...you may go)  and wayed, all the other policeman nearby wayed also and thanked me.

Archived