Which of these basic tablets would you choose?

moontang

Looking at 16/2 GB 8 inch tablets...buying in the US because they are cheaper and I have a 50 Dollar credit promo with Newegg.  Huawei, Acer, Lenovo, or Asus...I think all would be 8 inch, but can get a 10 inch Acer for the cost of an 8 from the others.  Sturdiness and good battery (that won't heat or swell) are top priorities.  Give me your best pick.  BTW, these are about 130 USD in the US..and I got a 50 Dollar off...going to be there next month anyway, so no Lak Si fiascos...

Wife bought a Huawei MediaPad T2 last year, from Lazada for Bht4,490, has been very happy with it. That and my experiences with Huawei smartphones and portable wifi would make me favour Huawei.

Edited by Stocky
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Wife bought a Huawei MediaPad T2 last year, from Lazada for Bht4,490, has been very happy with it.

looking at the T3..,for a hair less than that..in 8 inch...reviews are excellent.  My gut says Huawei, but Acer is tempting the heck out of me....and they were showing Acer commercials on the MRT, yesterday.  I don't think any would carry a true international warranty....but will be able to thoroughly check it out at my parents house.  Asus seems to have lost a lot of fans...used to make highly regarded motherboards, etc..

Edited by moontang

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 hours ago, moontang said:
I am looking at 136 USD for 8 inch and 203 for 10 inch On T3.

On Lazada is 3500 baht for the 7 inch and 7300 baht for the 10 inch. I have a 10 inch Samsung at the mo and like the size, 7 inch is perhaps too small especially when my phone is 5.25 inches

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huawei-t310-96-1-i220714225-s336585738.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtvnbBRA5EiwAcRvnppz0AMNoiUn-z7U7TM27nMhPavMB07SfdphnsbN8dHsz_hXMUEqURxoCMqEQAvD_BwE&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!!&utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem_non_brand&utm_content=296303633664_336585738_122268633&utm_campaign=[SSC-000000000000-00000-00000-0]: Smart Shopping Campaign&utm_term=[SSC-000000000000-00000-00000-0]: Smart Shopping Campaign_xxto0000000at0000_t_pla-296303633664&adjust_tracker=t2v78t_5n20iw&adjust_campaign=1498579383&adjust_adgroup=58089999096_t_pla-296303633664&adjust_creative=296303633664_336585738_122268633&tracker_limit=1000000&ef_id=Wowy8wAAAH__CUN7:20180823110754:s

but notice, it appears this T3 has cellular capabilities...in Thai, but see how it lists the frequencies?  confusin g.  No mention of SIM, though.

Edited by moontang

I have just received my new Samsung Tab s 4 just fantastic, it replaces my Tab s 2 which is still great. Tab s 4 10.5 inch and has expandable memory to 400 gb. A tad expensive but you get a tablet that can replace your lap top.

The T3s in the US are 8 and 9.6 inches..136, and 210 USD..no tax, free ship.  I noticed it is made with a solid piece of aluminum....Acer has two mini usb ports.  Good point about it being able to sub for the laptop.  WHen the I-pads first came out, quite a few were ready to show them to me.  I said one question:  Is that the only computer you travel with.  Nope, still take the laptop.  But, I though the name of the game was traveling with less; not more.  I have been using an Amazon Kindle for two years..an 8/1...was free after a 50 dollar credit promo.  Amazing how much you can do, dont like the lack of apps, though.  So I would like to get something a step above that or two....leaning towards the T3, 8 inch...

5 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Well spotted, but not sure what your point is, everything's made in China!

Telling a Taiwanese they are Chinese is way worse than pointing your toes at them.  Taiwan is known for superior electronics, but the gap has narrowed.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
15 minutes ago, moontang said:
Telling a Taiwanese they are Chinese is way worse than pointing your toes at them.  Taiwan is known for superior electronics, but the gap has narrowed.

I remember back in the day "made in taiwan roc" was a bit of a joke and junk. It's come a long way

I would think that ROC would be rated ahead of Malaysia, which would be ahead of Thailand, which would be ahead of Indonesia...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 hours ago, moontang said:

I remember back in the day "made in taiwan roc" was a bit of a joke and junk. It's come a long way

I remember before that anything Japanese was rubbish "Jap crap" we used to call it, not any more though all top notch stuff whatever it is!

• 1 month later...

So many to choose from . Opinions on tablets available in Thailand From 150 to 250 USD  8 or 10 in model . Looking for opinions from owners. I not very tech savvy and seem to get bogged down in all the reviews. Currently have a 3 or 4 year old Samsung tab A 8 in. that the wifi unit is burning out so still ok for as e reader if I download quickly and only one book at a time otherwise the wifi heats up and it goes into startup page roll. So could really do with some help from you satisfied owners  thanks  Randell

On 8/26/2018 at 12:52 PM, Stocky said:

Well spotted, but not sure what your point is, everything's made in China!

there is a difference between a Communist Chinese made device say for Apple and a Communist Chinese owned company selling a device. Communist Chinese Intelligence Services control these companies and put malware in the firmware of computers, pads and servers. There is no opting out.  

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

there is a difference between a Communist Chinese made device say for Apple and a Communist Chinese owned company selling a device. Communist Chinese Intelligence Services control these companies and put malware in the firmware of computers, pads and servers. There is no opting out.  

Good luck the NSA would never do such thing. Or maybe ask Edward Snowden about that ...

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good luck the NSA would never do such thing. Or maybe ask Edward Snowden about that ...

well i get your point but i don't think apple in knowingly working with the NSA to put FIRMWARE in all their products that report to NSA servers. The communist Chinese are.

FBI is pissed off at Apple for encryption and strong passwords.