work permit and hiv in Phitsanulok

Hi, there. Just gonna ask if hiv test will be required in order to get work permit in Phitsanulok? I heard some province do require the test but some dont. Im hiv positive and im looking to work in phitsanulok. With thanks.

29 minutes ago, chudless said:

Didnt have any medical exam of any kind for my work permit in BKK

What you didn't even see a doctor, cough, and give a blood sample to get a medical  certificate? Hard to believe Din Daeng issued a WP without a medical  certificate.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

What you didn't even see a doctor, cough, and give a blood sample to get a medical  certificate? Hard to believe Din Daeng issued a WP without a medical  certificate.

I work for a BOI company in BKK and never had to show any medical thing, never went to a doctor too.

No it is not required and they can not make you take one for employment purposes. However some companies have private health insurers that require an HIV test for coverage, technically this would not effect your employment however it's a tricky situation. There seems to be some grey area about this. There are confidentiality laws about disclosure which in theory should take care of your employer finding out your status. I think though you will be just fine. What kind of job is it? PM me for more tips and things to be wary of in regards to employment.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

I work for a BOI company in BKK and never had to show any medical thing, never went to a doctor too.

Definitely not having a go at you, and indeed it's good that you and others don't have to do a medical under BOI application, but it seems to contradict the necessity for the rest of us who apply at the usual labour office to have to do a medical and just proves  that it's another unnecessary hoop wer'e made to jump through.

• Like 2

Syphilis test is required for Work Permit. Perhaps BOI work permit applications are not required to do this.

Depending on the OP's employer, it is not uncommon for all staff to undergo a yearly 'medical' with their Thai employer. This is much more common in industrial settings. A local hospital will send out a mobile unit and take blood samples, measure blood pressure, etc. This hospital sub-contractor may provide the results of drug and HIV tests to the employer's HR dept. Something to bear in mind.

Just a wee note to keep in mind.

I don't have hiv, but after I had been here several years and had several liasons, I thought that I might be but chose not to know. Anyway, every year they had the free health check, but I refused the blood test. When the doctor asked why I said it was unhygienic to do that in the schools with so many people giving blood. 

The yearly health check is optional. 

As it turns out I did eventually have a test and I was fine. 

But I can empathise with your fears because of my experience. 

Standard medical form for work permit in Chula hospital includes:
        (1) Leprosy
        (2) Dangerous step of Tuberculosis (T.B.)
        (3) Filariasis
        (4) Drug addiction
        (5) Alcoholism
        (6) Third step of Syphilis

According Ministerial Regulation Number 14 (B.E. 2535)
As you can see, no HIV testing

A few people working for BOI companies that didn’t need to do a medical. I definitely had to and that was boi the last time around 3 years ago though. The medical as pointed out before doesn’t test for HIV and I am fairly sure even if testing positive for syphilis you could still get a permit after proving you are getting treatment.  Not sure that some employers ask for hiv status, I actually thought it was against the law to insist on someone divulging their HIV status 

I've had work permits through BOI and the normal route. Was never required a blood test. Only an interview with a doctor who filled out a proforma form.  My most recent WP was issued Jan 2018. But I do see on the form a blood test required for "Third-step Syphilis".

I quote AdamsLove.Org "HIV testing of employees is not permitted, according to the Ministry of Labour’s Code of Practice on Prevention and Management of HIV/AIDS in the Establishment. Section 5.1.1 states that there can be no requirement for testing for HIV/AIDS or any request for certification of whether a person is HIV-positive or negative as part of the screening of job applicants and employees or as part of the employment conditions. 
If a request is made for the submission of HIV test results as part of an application, the request is likely to come from the school itself. In such cases complaints can be registered with the Ministry of Labour for non-compliance with government labour guidelines. However, it can be difficult to prove that an applicant was not hired because he/she did not submit test results or that a contract was not continued due to HIV positive test results or non-submission of test results."   advanced stage syphilis (was new in 2007). 

Edited by RBOP

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, ThailandLOS said:

Syphilis test is indeed required for a WP,  at least the latest time I renewed this year.

HIV test is not included in WP medical certificate, however some employers require it prior to hiring.

It's not there business