Stroke + Rhabdomyolysis - Could this lead to cirrosis of the liver ?

Speedo1968

A hospital doctor recently suggested that following results of blood tests I may have cirrhosis of the liver.    Further follow-up may be required e.g. ultra sound or CT scan.

I understand there are multiple reasons why cirrhosis may occur.     I understand further damage may be halted or even possible improvement to the liver.

My Questions Are –

Could Rhabdomyolysis caused by a stroke, ( over 48 hours totally immobile on floor ), have caused damage and subsequent scarring to the liver to extent that cirrhosis has occurred ?

Recent blood test showed Albumin ( low ) 0.8 ( Ref range 3.4 – 4.8 ), Globulin ( high ) 5.9 ( Ref range 2.5 – 3.5 ); meaning lows and highs reversed as per normal considered levels.    

Has anyone had a similar experience and been able to improve liver condition, if so how ?

Details

Stroke in question led to almost total muscle loss within body, my CPK ( Ref range 30-200 ) level of 131,000 on admittance to local hospital where, rapid correct emergency treatment reduced this to 44,000 on arrival at main hospital.    Creatinine reached 10.5, BUN 94; many other related tests way over Reference levels.

Acute renal failure.

Hospital treatment was limited at my request over the 12 days in ICU.     

On leaving hospital only creatinine remained high at 4.6, and within normal 3 weeks later.

I am in my early 70’s, started work 1961 at 15 and semi-retired in 2011.

Multiple burn outs due to extensive overseas and in-country travel, also on call 24/7.

Nondrinker since my late teens ( never a heavy drinker ).  My work ( farming = for safety reasons ), some countries I worked in e.g. Saudi local laws.    In other countries as a farming consultant I would only accept the initial drink with a client and others, if toasting then I would only raise my glass.

I stopped smoking for my 21st birthday present.

My diet has been vegetarian since 1971 and vegan for about 40 years.

Multiple TIA’s and strokes since 2012 when I retired.    Coincidence to retiring ? – just curious !

The prior stroke and rhabdo are unlikely to have anything to do with your current issue.

Where your liver enzymes (AST, ALT) also elevated or is it only the AG levels that were off?

Low albumin can indeed be due to cirrhosi. There are also other possible causes including some types of kidney disease. Was the creatnine normal? Any albumin in the urine?

Elevated globulin can be due to autoimmune condition or to certain malignancies like lymphoma.

All I can really tell you is that you do indeed need further evaluation.

There are many possible causes of cirrhosis aside from alcohol. Including autoimmune disease.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The prior stroke and rhabdo are unlikely to have anything to do with your current issue.

Where your liver enzymes (AST, ALT) also elevated or is it only the AG levels that were off?

Low albumin can indeed be due to cirrhosi. There are also other possible causes including some types of kidney disease. Was the creatnine normal? Any albumin in the urine?

Elevated globulin can be due to autoimmune condition or to certain malignancies like lymphoma.

All I can really tell you is that you do indeed need further evaluation.

There are many possible causes of cirrhosis aside from alcohol. Including autoimmune disease.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks Sheryl for your prompt reply.

AST was 23 ( RR 5-34 ), ALT was 13 ( RR 0-55 ), Creatinine was 0.80 ( RR 0.6-1.2 ), other readings fine.

When leaving hospital last year following the stroke all readings were ok.

Already on a healthy ( ? ) diet I have tried to eat only fresh foods and, if possible, so called organic.   It is difficult where I live to get food out ( being vegan ), places I know will not put MSG or salt in my food; ( I use only black or pink mountain salt ).     The main difficulty is as always with a vegan diet, "How to get enough protein ?"

The only other change to my daily exercise routine of walking 3km morning and evening is 1 - 2 hours of floor exercise.

Guess it's another trip to a hospital for a scan.

Thanks again for your input.

I don't think your diet and general lifestyle have anything to do with this.

Since it sounds like you are asymptomatic and all other test results were normal, before investing in scans and the like I would suggest repeating the albumin and globulin levels. This is always wise when there is an odd lab result that does not seem to fit the clinical picture -- lab errors do sometimes happen.

If repeat test still shows low albumin and high globulin then yes, ultrasound and possibly other tests are indicated.  But rule out the simpler possibility first.

Archived