Thailand - Not for me

On 8/25/2018 at 11:26 AM, Dazinoz said:

Actually a Thai red bus driver at a dinner he drove us to said only loser farang come to Thailand because they are losers in their own country.

I suspect that's what many Thais (especially in metropolitan areas) think of foreigners when they see them strolling down the street, arm in arm, with their tattooed and brown-skinned Issan girlfriend. I think there are a lot of lost souls from the West living in Thailand but I wouldn't describe them generally as losers ... I've met a number of people from interesting and varied backgrounds who would not fit that stereotype. Many have realised that we only have one chance at life and you can have an active and entertaining social life in Thailand at any age. For some that beats living a perpetual groundhog day in a home country where they are virtually invisible.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

It can be discussed because you're wrong. 

I've had several students pass the TOEIC in order to attend English speaking universities in Thailand, and a few admitted to US uni.

Right now our school is using a computer Maths tutoring program built by A Thai lady with Masters degrees in Maths and Statistics. from Stanford Uni in the US. Her lessons are in English and I've got 17 11 year olds who understand the lessons.

Did I say that it's not possible ? I just said that you know one among the 1% not totally dumb.

So stupid that people keep commenting what is obviously the truth. Did I say that 100% are totally stupid ? Of course not ! But at the same time, does the world know any Thai scientist ?

Stop arguing, you are just wrong !

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, The manic said:

Better to dream than be hate filled.  I have a positive outlook on my life in Thailand. I get on with the people and know plenty of clever well educated Thais in many careers and professions.  The fact you do not know such people is a reflection on your poor character,  not mine or the Thais I know. I find your attitude repugnant and racist.

You are right, and you also know some honest cops or officials !

So ridiculous...

I guess that your wife is also a genius, right ? This is what all ridiculous foreigners pretend ! But listen to me, "smart" Thai women as anyone you have have met in your life, I have got 100+ as girlfriends, so yes, I know them well, and none has been half as smart as my most stupid girlfriends in the west.

But yes, I agree that if you have no idea about what means having a brain, it must be hard to understand !

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The manic said:

Perhaps you attract stupid types or are overestimating your own capabilities as demonstrated by your views that could be construed as ignorant. You certainly don't sound much fun to be around. I suspect the contempt you have for Thais is a reflection of your own self loathing. 

Ask your daughter why she is attracted maybe ?! Or your wife ?

3 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I think it's a great shame the way this whole thread has deteriorated and there have been veiled personal attacks when the discussion of long-term expats moving back to their homeland is very relevant these days given the number of people who are returning home after a long stay in Thailand.

please provide numbers and source for the claim "very relevant these days" implying that relative to their numbers more expats are leaving than "those days earlier".

you can't? i thought so! :coffee1:

19 minutes ago, Naam said:

please provide numbers and source for the claim "very relevant these days" implying that relative to their numbers more expats are leaving than "those days earlier".

There have been a lot of threads in recent months of people considering returning to the West.  I am not going to go back and capture them all abut anyone who follows this forum will have seen them.  Many people have made comments to the same effect i.e. that they were considering leaving.  I certainly don't remember that being the case in the past.  That makes it a relevant issue that is worthy of discussion.  Why are they thinking about leaving?  Are there any common trends or themes among those leaving / thinking of leaving?  To me, that is the interesting part.

There are no rights or wrongs in the discussion of moving back to your own country.  It is simply an issue worthy of being discussed.

Again, some people get very, very defensive when this issue is raised.  Why is that?

Edited by mstevens
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What irony?

I'm allowed to change my mind and can come and go out of Thailand as I please.

And to quote a smart person (myself) "there's nothing you can do about it."

You enjoy this little  Canadian adventure of yours then Champ, 555

chump.jpg

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

For me personally it would be a ratio of around 10 to 1, for every person I know of that has decided to leave, I know of 10 people that are staying. 

all said, thanks!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think people get defensive because most of the "I am leaving " threads appear to have a sour grapes aspect. They appear to be based on perception rather than factual. Most try to justify there leaving decision by making out that "everyone" thinks the same way and "everyone" is leaving. 

That's funny because this thread implies the exact opposite of what you just wrote. I mean I couldn't have been more specific about the situation applies only to me.

Did I call anyone a sucker for deciding to stay or did the exact opposite happened?

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Naam said:

Numbers and sources in a country where every number from real estate to traffic accidents is rigged?

You gotta be joking and if not can you advise where these sources can be found?

Anyway, oops I just gave some posters the opportunity to say I bashed Thailand with this post.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

That's funny because this thread implies the exact opposite of what you just wrote. I mean I couldn't have been more specific about the situation applies only to me.

Did I call anyone a sucker for deciding to stay or did the exact opposite happened?

Not a comment on the OP,  More a comment on the thread hijackers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

We took this out of context a bit, didn't we? I was talking about young people with good lives in Canada, earning decent wages and a bright future. 

In any case, if you think any of these 3 statements are wrong, you are welcome to voice your opinion.

Fair call ? I would say the young Canadian people you refer to wouldn't go unless holiday or retired.

Secondly thankyou I will,   Visa runs -- Retired so do 1 yr extensions got use to it no bother really.  sub-par Western food -- Eat Thai food mainly, the potatoes are good that we get here IMO.  dirty air  --  Good air where we live there are many fireflies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

We took this out of context a bit, didn't we? I was talking about young people with good lives in Canada, earning decent wages and a bright future. 

In any case, if you think any of these 3 statements are wrong, you are welcome to voice your opinion.

You wrote it and nobody else.

I know of only a couple of expats who do visa runs and one of those is changing to a retirement visa next time.

The western food that I eat is very good. I make most of it myself from the basic ingredients so I KNOW what goes into it and there is NO preservative, MSG or anything that I don't particularly want of like. It is cooked by me the way I want it cooked not how some cook in a restaurant wants to cook it.

Dirty air. I suppose it all depends on where you live. I live next door to the Mae Wong national park in my wife's 4 bedroom house on 15 rai of her land and not in a 30 or 40 sq/mt poky condominium on the umpty umph floor down in some small soi where the trick is to get your car out without scraping in and join with all the other cars in the giant traffic jam called the big exciting city.

I do hope you enjoy your life in a faraway country that is great to look at in the fall season and miserable to live in during the winter.

Have a nice week.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Bashing the country you come from does not leave a good impression with "clever and well educated Thais", just so you know. 

Please tell me where he bashed the country he came from. I couldn't read that anywhere in the post you (almost) quoted.

4 hours ago, gaff said:

Wrong reply.

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

There are no rights or wrongs in the discussion of moving back to your own country.  It is simply an issue worthy of being discussed.

Again, some people get very, very defensive when this issue is raised.  Why is that?

Worthy of being discussed !!  A bit I guess to me they are just issues and situations a persons got themselves into and blame Thailand as an excuse, instead of facing up to the real reason.

Yeah I will defend Thailand if I consider what they have experienced is down to them, they decided to come here in the first place they weren't false to.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This particular member enjoyed posting how little money he contributed to his relationship in Thailand. Truth or not...who knows. At least his wife was smart enough not to follow and continue working to pay his bills.

And, not just because he moved back to his homeland. That will always be my plan B or C.

Sharing is caring!

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Bashing the country you come from does not leave a good impression with "clever and well educated Thais", just so you know. 

Wouldn't know, never met one, not sure they exist.

(being a clever and educated Brit at the extreme upper limit of the Bell curve)

14 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I agree, there are young men, with a good life, earning decent wages in most western countries.

And as long as they're gay, I can totally agree with you.

But the tyrannical gynocracy ruling the western countries with a rod of iron, means that once they move a women into their homes, or even have sex with a female, and they're screwed, unfortunately for them most young men still want a young woman in their home, or at least have sex from time to time with one.

Edited by BritManToo

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I agree, there are young men, with a good life, earning decent wages in most western countries.

And as long as they're gay, I can totally agree with you.

But the tyrannical gynocracy ruling the western countries with a rod of iron, means that once they move a women into their homes, they're screwed, and most young men still want a young woman in their home.

I have just been talking to two Australian 9 year olds..they both knew about Marco Polo...imagine that?

Otherwise ,the rest of your post is highly discombulated crapola..and a sure indication to any "farang" with half a brain that Thailand with it's dismal load of Western industrialized serfs (in hiding) is best avoided..

Edited by Odysseus123

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

You wrote it and nobody else.

I know of only a couple of expats who do visa runs and one of those is changing to a retirement visa next time.

The western food that I eat is very good. I make most of it myself from the basic ingredients so I KNOW what goes into it and there is NO preservative, MSG or anything that I don't particularly want of like. It is cooked by me the way I want it cooked not how some cook in a restaurant wants to cook it.

Dirty air. I suppose it all depends on where you live. I live next door to the Mae Wong national park in my wife's 4 bedroom house on 15 rai of her land and not in a 30 or 40 sq/mt poky condominium on the umpty umph floor down in some small soi where the trick is to get your car out without scraping in and join with all the other cars in the giant traffic jam called the big exciting city.

I do hope you enjoy your life in a faraway country that is great to look at in the fall season and miserable to live in during the winter.

Have a nice week.

Good for you but to many people that seems boring as hell.

• Like 1