Thailand - Not for me

On 9/6/2018 at 12:27 PM, pgrahmm said:

It's a bait the hook, stir the pot, set the trap topic....

And it's worked - in both directions....

I think you mean.  "Who's that walking on my bridge?  Trit trot trit trot on my bridge?"  It was all a "troll" post?     I don't think do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

It sounded to me like he was trying to persuade himself he made the right decision than persuade us.  It is called self justification.

What right decision?

The thread title is Thailand not for me.

I am not staying in Canada forever. 

It seems to me like you don't understand basic English.

Are you a TEFLer by any chance?

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

No, please do explain what am I justifying?

My opinion? It's just my opinion and you guys make it all personal.

Insecurities galore.

Do you even understand your own post?  Title = "Thailand , not for me". You even state you planned on staying for 10 years but only made it to 5. Implying you did not like Thailand and could not stand living here anymore. Even stated you liked Canada better. Then after a few pages changed up and said you will be back in a few months. Seems like when you get a tenant for your condo in Toronto then you will have income to return and live in Thailand. Could not stay in Toronto because if you live in the condo you don't have income?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Do you even understand your own post?  Title = "Thailand , not for me". You even state you planned on staying for 10 years but only made it to 5. Implying you did not like Thailand and could not stand living here anymore. Even stated you liked Canada better. Then after a few pages changed up and said you will be back in a few months. Seems like when you get a tenant for your condo in Toronto then you will have income to return and live in Thailand. Could not stay in Toronto because if you live in the condo you don't have income?

Oh, look. The Deerhunter's mom showed up to answer for him.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I think it is fair to say every single foreigner in Thailand had a life in their own country before moving to Thailand.

So unless a person is a total slag, they did in fact have a great life outside of Thailand. (They had to move from somewhere!)

It's a giving fact quality of life, no matter where you live, can come down to how much money you have.

If you have the money to live in the west to a high standard, there is nothing in Thailand that can touch that.

Thailand will never meet the standards across the board of the US for example.

Case in point there are more Thai's living in the USA than there are foreigners living in Thailand. (as of 2015 300,000+ legally; much more overstayed)

(40,000 Americans live in Thailand)

Now why exactly do you think the reason for that is? Why would Thai people want to leave their own country and live in the USA?

In 2015 the Median Annual Income for foreign born Thai's was $52,000 per year ($52,000 / 12 months = $4,333.00 X 31 baht to the dollar = 134, 323 thai baht per month)

People usually move to Thailand for 2 reasons. Cheap, easy women and the cost of living.

There are 45 pages posted on living in Thailand on 45,000 baht and how great it is.

For those people, you have to question how their lives were in the west before they moved to Thailand?

Are they uneducated and spent their whole lives as a laborer or at McDonald's? Have no pension? Pitiful social security allotment?

How many people are married and living in their wives property in Thailand? Just getting by?

If you worked your entire life and did not save, have a viable pension etc., Thailand, like many other third world countries are a place to survive your final years in.

You can still live, eat, enjoy life at a scale your income allows.

With all the bashing going on, it is easy to see some people just fight to prove to themselves, Thailand is ok.

It could be ok if that is your best financial option.

But after 10 years in Thailand and now being in Florida, there is simply no comparison.

Quality of life here is 10 times better because I can afford this Florida lifestyle. 

If I could not afford it would be a different story, but I can afford it easily.

This is my country, with my people, my language, my customs, my food etc.

That for ME is a much better quality of life.

For my Thai wife? Well guess what? There are tons of Thai people in Florida. Thai food stores, abundance of Thai restaurants, Thai Temple, even have Nom Doc Mai Thai mangoes growing in the backyard with papaya, Thai chilies and other things.

In the end it all comes down to what you can afford.

Doesn't make it better or worse

You  said  "Case in point there are more Thai's living in the USA than there are foreigners living in Thailand."  That is incorrect, there are more Thai living in US than Americans living in Thailand but not foreigners living in Thailand plus your using old figures. At one time there were 350,000 Thai in US now a little over 300,000 why? They come to the US to open a business go to schools/universities and then go home. There were 40,000 Americans retired in 2010 census  probably 75,000 now plus there are almost 1.8 million expats from the EU, GB, AUS, Russia ,ect in Bangkok with others in other areas of Thailand.

I could have moved to Floridaa but didn't want to be escaping from hurricanes every year and living basically in old folks retirement areas. I'm not like many elderly seniors am very active enjoy warm weather and no longer wanted to live in NewEngland, too cold/snow Finances had no bearing and neither did health insurance. You talk about its your country, your food, your culture , language ect, seems like you didn't want to adapt to Thailand, your choice..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I think it is fair to say every single foreigner in Thailand had a life in their own country before moving to Thailand.

So unless a person is a total slag, they did in fact have a great life outside of Thailand. (They had to move from somewhere!)

It's a giving fact quality of life, no matter where you live, can come down to how much money you have.

If you have the money to live in the west to a high standard, there is nothing in Thailand that can touch that.

Thailand will never meet the standards across the board of the US for example.

Case in point there are more Thai's living in the USA than there are foreigners living in Thailand. (as of 2015 300,000+ legally; much more overstayed)

(40,000 Americans live in Thailand)

Now why exactly do you think the reason for that is? Why would Thai people want to leave their own country and live in the USA?

In 2015 the Median Annual Income for foreign born Thai's was $52,000 per year ($52,000 / 12 months = $4,333.00 X 31 baht to the dollar = 134, 323 thai baht per month)

People usually move to Thailand for 2 reasons. Cheap, easy women and the cost of living.

There are 45 pages posted on living in Thailand on 45,000 baht and how great it is.

For those people, you have to question how their lives were in the west before they moved to Thailand?

Are they uneducated and spent their whole lives as a laborer or at McDonald's? Have no pension? Pitiful social security allotment?

How many people are married and living in their wives property in Thailand? Just getting by?

If you worked your entire life and did not save, have a viable pension etc., Thailand, like many other third world countries are a place to survive your final years in.

You can still live, eat, enjoy life at a scale your income allows.

With all the bashing going on, it is easy to see some people just fight to prove to themselves, Thailand is ok.

It could be ok if that is your best financial option.

But after 10 years in Thailand and now being in Florida, there is simply no comparison.

Quality of life here is 10 times better because I can afford this Florida lifestyle. 

If I could not afford it would be a different story, but I can afford it easily.

This is my country, with my people, my language, my customs, my food etc.

That for ME is a much better quality of life.

For my Thai wife? Well guess what? There are tons of Thai people in Florida. Thai food stores, abundance of Thai restaurants, Thai Temple, even have Nom Doc Mai Thai mangoes growing in the backyard with papaya, Thai chilies and other things.

In the end it all comes down to what you can afford.

Doesn't make it better or worse

I was onboard before you brought up Florida. Born and raised in Boca in the 60's and it was paradise. Today it is a massively overpopulated sandspit sinking in it's own weight. Expensive with horrendous traffic, immigration issues, crime although there are cops on every corner. I do agree if you are well funded there are a multitude of places better than LOS, Florida and LOS is a toss-up.

57 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

You  said  "Case in point there are more Thai's living in the USA than there are foreigners living in Thailand."  That is incorrect, there are more Thai living in US than Americans living in Thailand but not foreigners living in Thailand plus your using old figures. At one time there were 350,000 Thai in US now a little over 300,000 why? They come to the US to open a business go to schools/universities and then go home. There were 40,000 Americans retired in 2010 census  probably 75,000 now plus there are almost 1.8 million expats from the EU, GB, AUS, Russia ,ect in Bangkok with others in other areas of Thailand.

I could have moved to Floridaa but didn't want to be escaping from hurricanes every year and living basically in old folks retirement areas. I'm not like many elderly seniors am very active enjoy warm weather and no longer wanted to live in NewEngland, too cold/snow Finances had no bearing and neither did health insurance. You talk about its your country, your food, your culture , language ect, seems like you didn't want to adapt to Thailand, your choice..

If you add in all expats in the USA it blows your theory out of the water.

9 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

No, please do explain what am I justifying?

My opinion? It's just my opinion and you guys make it all personal.

Insecurities galore.

Strange that it sounded so personal, then.  A very, very personal opinion. I think many of us were wondering why you shared some of the details you did. Certainly there was some stuff in there, that it would have read better, without!  Answering your question:  A number of posters obviously think you made it sound like a justification story to cover another reason for leaving.  Me too, but I have made no personal guesses to make to what any real reason might be.  Now you know, if you had not been reading them all..... Done my bit on this thread.  Over and out!  ....    (I did say "Never mind!")

• Like 1

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I know 2 Thai couples who retired to America and 3000 men and one couple from America who have retired to Thailand. 

Do you have any statistical information better than that on numbers of Thais who have retired to America? 

I think it is fair to say the vast number of Americans who have retired to Thailand are male and a very few Thais have retired to America and those had family connections in America. 

Sorry I don't think you know 3000 of anyone. If you do, start naming them so we can believe you.

17 hours ago, Tony125 said:

You could have moved to Florida but didn't want to be escaping hurricanes every year? 

PS

Florida has warm weather and people in Florida are a hell of lot fitter than Thai people

Florida is the retirement capital of America (Are all those people wrong?)

And exactly how many people get killed each year in Florida Hurricanes versus road deaths in Thailand?

Your logic make no sense at all 

If finances had no baring, please explain how you chose Thailand out of the other billion retirement locations around the globe? Thailand a place where it is not your language and you couldn't read a Thai sign to find out if you were in the hong nam or the mall!

PS Again, we will consider Thailand as warm weather and monsoon rains 6 months of the year because that is really the fact. Let's not forget how much damage floods do in Thailand every year as well.

PS for the third time. Never evacuated from any hurricane, house has never had any damage from a hurricane. No, chicken little, the sky is not falling. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I used to work for the IRS so it is obvious why I can't name names it would be a violation of confidentiality. 

So you were working for the IRS in the USA, keeping track of US expats living in Thailand?

Smell something funny here. 

Besides, you commented you KNOW 3000 people which it appears you do not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You could have moved to Florida but didn't want to be escaping hurricanes every year? 

PS

Florida has warm weather and people in Florida are a hell of lot fitter than Thai people

Florida is the retirement capital of America (Are all those people wrong?)

And exactly how many people get killed each year in Florida Hurricanes versus road deaths in Thailand?

Your logic make no sense at all 

If finances had no baring, please explain how you chose Thailand out of the other billion retirement locations around the globe? Thailand a place where it is not your language and you couldn't read a Thai sign to find out if you were in the hong nam or the mall!

PS Again, we will consider Thailand as warm weather and monsoon rains 6 months of the year because that is really the fact. Let's not forget how much damage floods do in Thailand every year as well.

PS for the third time. Never evacuated from any hurricane, house has never had any damage from a hurricane. No, chicken little, the sky is not falling. 

Ok so you live in an area of Florida not affected by hurricanes, very good. However those living on the Keys have to board up their homes and drive usually about 400 miles north to avoid the storms almost every year. A former co-worker who lived in  Daytona  died last year driving his Harley  back from Georgia where he had driven to escape a hurricane. You mention you can afford to live in Florida, sure homes and costs are much cheaper in Florida than say NYC or Boston. Katrina ring a bell?

https://www.news-press.com/story/weather/hurricane/2016/10/06/florida-10-strongest-hurricanes-on-record/91658556/

Why is it the retirement capital? Low costs, warm weather (like Thailand but most Americans couldn't find Thailand on a world map.)

https://www.news-press.com/story/weather/hurricane/2016/10/06/florida-10-strongest-hurricanes-on-record/91658556/

Florida, however,  is ranked as the 8th most violent state in the U.S.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 8:02 AM, marcusarelus said:

Find a forum that has your new interests at its base.  Stop posting in Thai forums because they will only depress you more and drive you to try and insult happy expats and make them all feel as depressed as you.  

It's not good to try and make other people sad and to critique their lifestyle.  No one put you in charge of the definitions of happy and sad or good and bad. 

The guys living in Thailand know and if they wanted to be miserable they would move back to Canada too.  So why and try and spread your own brand of misery here. 

Get out and go to Marche Movenpick and have something to eat.  That always made me happy.  Or look at photo's of Margaret Trudeau bum, that's what we did for fun when I lived there. 

Perfect answer to OP, thank you!

• Like 2

On 8/31/2018 at 6:54 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Well, suck is a relative word. I enjoy eating western food again, drinking world class tap water and breathing clean air. 

I also find everything is cheaper in Toronto than Bangkok.....except rent and transport. However, I have taken care of housing costs and can walk everywhere because I live downtown.

I have been saying on every thread that pops now and then comparing the cost of living that I would need 200-300k baht a month in Bangkok to have the same quality of life in Canada. Even then, if I lived in Maha Nakhon every time I go out I'd still be exposed to garbage and pollution.

To each their own, eh

Interesting! Toronto is always on the very top of most expensive cities in North America, wasn't it ranked 4'th, after San Francisco, LA and NYC, something like that?

What is cheaper in Toronto, than in Thailand, I'm very curious. Just like you, I lived half of my life in Toronto, moved away, and I'd love to see average daily budget of an average retiree.

If Toronto really is cheaper than Thailand, that means Vancouver is right there in terms of expenses, and maybe it is time to check it out again,  for summer.

blast from the past, my Jarvis/Wellesley condo maintenance used to be around 600 CDN, monthly, that was 10 years ago? what about your condo fees?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes. But in another post he also said he was from Canada.

But before that he was probably kicking butt with Chuck Norris.

Why would where I'm from have anything to do with your whinging about Thailand?  I lived in Canada before supermarkets came to Toronto.  Half of my family still lives in Canada.  But I think you would rather personally attack me than post on topic in your own thread.  My point in the post above was that Thai people don't retire to North America.  Canadian people retire to Florida.  Florida people retire to Thailand.  Is this news to you?  No one retires to Canada so your safe. 

7 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Interesting! Toronto is always on the very top of most expensive cities in North America, wasn't it ranked 4'th, after San Francisco, LA and NYC, something like that?

What is cheaper in Toronto, than in Thailand, I'm very curious. Just like you, I lived half of my life in Toronto, moved away, and I'd love to see average daily budget of an average retiree.

If Toronto really is cheaper than Thailand, that means Vancouver is right there in terms of expenses, and maybe it is time to check it out again,  for summer.

blast from the past, my Jarvis/Wellesley condo maintenance used to be around 600 CDN, monthly, that was 10 years ago? what about your condo fees?

Cheaper in Toronto than Thailand?  Maybe hockey pants or Zamboni's.  Canadian beer I would imagine is cheaper. 

• Haha 1