Jump to content

Is 36k baht too much to pay for a new desktop


bbabythai

Recommended Posts

I popped into JB computer store yesterday. I told them we need a reasonable build spec computer for our new business. They said they can build it within 4 hours. They presented new boxes ....hard drive, processor etc etc. 

 

Is 36,000 too much to pay? I think I prefer to buy from them bc if something happens I can take it back for fixing anytime. If I buy from robinsons this is not possible. 

 

thanks

IMG_2759.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's hard to say what you need for you business but above components are fairly okay.

 

The graphics card is perhaps not needed and perhaps 8GB ram is enough but you set-up will allow for some gaming and 4k video if needed.

 

If you need a lot of storage space you can add a spinning hard-drive to the SSD, should be cheap.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost 1`/3 of th ecosts is for office and windows. You could have gotten a cheaper version of windows. 

 

But the prices don't seem to be to crazy of the parts and I would say all of the parts are good.. seems they forgot the price of the monitor.

 

I recently built a PC for myself at 3x your price.. (no monitor), the price really depends on what you get in the computer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the Win10 is a bit tricky but since it's for his business then okay I would say.

 

I bought my Win10 on Ebay for app 10$ and didn't have any problems so far, but I think the product key is from a binned PC, sooo.

 

My PC was around 43k baht + a 28" 4K monitor

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spec's look pretty good.  Today's top of the line I7's and I9's are benchmarking 15,000- 20,000+ so 11,700 is pretty good for a $200 CPU.

 

If you're not going to be gaming, you may want to forgo the 5,000 baht on the 1050 Graphics card.  The onboard video is plenty good for all but intense gaming.  I watch 4K video on my desktop with the Intel graphics built into the CPU.

 

As someone else indicated, you may want to rethink 7,000+ baht for Win10 Pro, unless you need some of its networking features.  

 

Check you options on the MS Office.  I've gone to the annual subscription (Office 365) for up to 5 computers, and paid 1800 baht at a recent QSNCC event.  The choices are pretty sneaky and they may be giving you a license for just one computer.

 

 

1151 CPU Benchmarks.jpg

I5 8400 Benchmark.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

personally, I paid much more for better computer but if you are asking if the price is too high then you likely do not even know what you are getting

it's a fine machine but I would do the following:

 

get a better power supply. never even heard of "Cougar" PS, lol

ditch the Windows 10 and get it elsewhere, can easily be gotten on ebay as other have mentionned for 10-15$ but very easily under 1500 baht

ditch office home whatever it is (probably office 365 home?) unless you ABSOLUTELY need it,

if you just need a word processor/excel/powerpoint you can use OpenOffice for free and it's practically the same. this similarly I can get for 1500 baht, probably cheaper on eBay

 

use the difference to buy a proper case, ac powered speakers - none of that just speakers and to computer weak stuff (or headphones), keyboard and mouse (none seem to be listed on there) and a UPS.. you will want the UPS for the crappy electric they use here even if its small one

 

the prices he is giving you seem to be market prices but that motherboard seems to be the cheapest available (b360m is very vague to be honest)

I been doing builds all my life.. if you need some assistance you can PM me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 cents:

For a business PC (no games) I would recommend

- a less expensive CPU. Any Intel i3 or i5 will do the job

- a good quality motherboard. I always buy ASUS and have very good experience with them

- the SSD is ok and you should have a SSD. But maybe you need and additional HDD if you have a lot of data (i.e. videos)

- you don't need an extra graphic card for a business PC - you only need it for games

- depending on your power situation (lots of power cuts, spikes) I would think about a better power supply and/or a UPS

- a decent should be able to put that together within an hour

- if you buy original software I recommend you install it yourself. Otherwise it's likely that you just get a copy of whatever Windows package they have. And it happens that original software license numbers get "reused" if they are opened in the shop...

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't see on that bill is a keyboard and a mouse.

Maybe you get them for "free"

 

I think it's a good idea to buy high quality keyboard and mouse. This is what you use everyday and a bad or even medium good keyboard and mouse make life more difficult than it should be.

 

Medium quality mouse/keyboard combinations are about 600B. If you are willing to spend more look at ergonomic items and test them. Buy what you personally like and not what is praised in some tests by others.

 

I think it makes a lot more sense to spend 1000B more on these parts then on a more expensive CPU.

You will almost never notice the 1000B more expensive CPU and you will be happy everyday with high quality input devices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What sort of business is it for? 

If just emails, word processor and spreadsheets - general admin, and you're not needing some specialist software that only runs on Windows, then ditch Windows and MS Office for Linux Mint and Libre Office. That takes 10K off the bill, as said in previous posts, you can lose the graphics card taking a further 5K off the total.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My only caveat with Linux in the office, is that you check carefully on compatibility before purchasing printers and scanners, most these days will work plug n play with Linux, but not all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not a laptop? Does everthing too. You can take it anywhere. Same same. I.e. Lenovo and external monitor or large tv if you want. Costs are almost the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The spec looks pretty good.   Not sure why you need such a powerful graphics card, unless you are going to play games.  It also looks like you are getting a free 24" monitor?

You could save 11,000 THB by not using Windows and Office.  

Linux Mint is free and so is LibreOffice (which comes with Mint).   I've been using Mint exclusively for about 3 years and have never needed to use Windows.  I also don't have to worry about malware or viruses.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, cucme said:

Why not a laptop? Does everthing too. You can take it anywhere. Same same. I.e. Lenovo and external monitor or large tv if you want. Costs are almost the same.


Laptops lack the expandability of Desktops and they usually don't support dual monitor setups.

The single biggest productivity boost is having 2 identical displays to work on.   Using the laptop screen and an external display works but isn't as aesthetically pleasing as matching displays.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is like asking if paying 500.000 baht for transportation is "too much" or not. If you bought a bicycle with it, its too much, but if you bought a brand new Fortuner with it, its a steal.

 

You never specified the use, besides "business"...

 

Assuming its just for normal tasks i agree with OneMoreFarang above (i3, no graphics card, extra HD).

 

I would also find another seller since this place tried to sell you a gtx1050 graphics card which means they dont take you seriously.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside the bleaching you got on the Windows 10 Pro,the rest of the components seem to be in line, give or take a bit, with what you'd expect to pay outside of Thailand.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you need to spend that much for general office use. 

Looking at the options on the JIB website, I added the below parts to build a PC for around the 20k mark which i think would suit you needs. 

CPU AM4 Ryzen 5 4,390

MainBoard Am4 Asrock Ftality ab350 1,990

Graphics Card Galax Gtx1050 4,550

250 Gb SSD 2,390 

Ram 8 GIG DDR4/ 2666 Corsair 3,990

Power Supply Corsair vs650 650w (80+) 2,160

Case Cougar Mx330 1,590

Total Price = 20,130 THB

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2018 at 10:25 AM, robblok said:

Almost 1`/3 of th ecosts is for office and windows. You could have gotten a cheaper version of windows. 

 

But the prices don't seem to be to crazy of the parts and I would say all of the parts are good.. seems they forgot the price of the monitor.

 

I recently built a PC for myself at 3x your price.. (no monitor), the price really depends on what you get in the computer.

 

54 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The spec looks pretty good.   Not sure why you need such a powerful graphics card, unless you are going to play games.  It also looks like you are getting a free 24" monitor?

You could save 11,000 THB by not using Windows and Office.  

Linux Mint is free and so is LibreOffice (which comes with Mint).   I've been using Mint exclusively for about 3 years and have never needed to use Windows.  I also don't have to worry about malware or viruses.
 

I work practically only with openoffice and ProjectLibre, that sets you back just zero Baht.
I believe Google does Chrome (?) for free, and you are all set.
All functions that one would need for a not too complicated business, are there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

recently configured a friends 12,000 baht laptop with win 10 and ubuntu in dual boot mode.  he trusts the security linux offers and lack of virus/trojans/hacking and will use windows for limited stuff.  mainly for business.

 

a ryzen cpu system offers a great bang for the buck

 

you should checkout desktops from lenove, hp, acer as many have good specs and good support.  the all in one desktops have a monitor built in and no need to take space with a pc case

 

you may want to add an automated data backup system. can just be a usb thum drive and an app that does it. need not be expensive

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, rowan1981 said:

I don't think you need to spend that much for general office use. 

Looking at the options on the JIB website, I added the below parts to build a PC for around the 20k mark which i think would suit you needs. 

CPU AM4 Ryzen 5 4,390

MainBoard Am4 Asrock Ftality ab350 1,990

Graphics Card Galax Gtx1050 4,550

250 Gb SSD 2,390 

Ram 8 GIG DDR4/ 2666 Corsair 3,990

Power Supply Corsair vs650 650w (80+) 2,160

Case Cougar Mx330 1,590

Total Price = 20,130 THB

 


I would replace the Graphics card with something much cheaper.

I have an OEM GeForce GT 620 in my desktop, it's been perfectly capable of driving my dual monitor setup, plays videos fine and everything else you'd need (unless you are a gamer).   I couldn't find the same card on JIB but this one looks the same for only 1,250 THB

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/6047/755/VGA--การ์ดแสดงผล--GIGABYTE-GeForce-210-1GB-DDR-3-64BIT---GV-N210D3-1GI--


My desktop (Acer) only has a 200W power supply and that has been fine for about 6 years so far.  Currently it's powering 4 Internal hard Drives without issue so I see no reason to buy a 650W power supply, you could save money there.

And save a bit on the CPU with an i3  - https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/24438/995/CPU--ซีพียู--INTEL-1151-CORE-I3-7100-3-9-GHz--KABY-LAKE-

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cucme said:

Why not a laptop? Does everthing too. You can take it anywhere. Same same. I.e. Lenovo and external monitor or large tv if you want. Costs are almost the same.

Lenovo has superfast SSD....i forgot the term for it...My Lenovo boots in 10 sec (Win10) and best thing is it NEVER gets warm (makes noise)...That's very important for thailand so you can keep it on your lap..My old Dell sounded like a hairdryer and made my legs very warm...

 

But a desktop? Nahh, i want to lay on the couch and not sit behind a desk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2018 at 4:21 PM, kekalot said:

ditch office home whatever it is (probably office 365 home?) unless you ABSOLUTELY need it,

if you just need a word processor/excel/powerpoint you can use OpenOffice for free and it's practically the same. this similarly I can get for 1500 baht, probably cheaper on eBay

 

The only caveat I have found with free stuff is that they never get the formatting exactly the same and I hate wasting time reformatting a spreadsheet (especially the graphs) or a word processing document that's been sent to me by someone who either used a free program, or uses line returns instead of fixing their margins.  Do that once a week for a year, and I can more than pay out the $60 that MS Office subscriptions cost me at a QSNCC event, just in aggravation.

 

If you're not opening other people's documents, or sending yours to others, the free programs work great.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My son built me one for 12,000 baht. He bought the motherboard and CPU in Australia, bulky items like the case and monitor here. Installed Ubuntu and the LibreOffice suite.

I'd sooner eat razor blades than ever have to deal with a Microsoft product again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, seancbk said:


I would replace the Graphics card with something much cheaper.

I have an OEM GeForce GT 620 in my desktop, it's been perfectly capable of driving my dual monitor setup, plays videos fine and everything else you'd need (unless you are a gamer).   I couldn't find the same card on JIB but this one looks the same for only 1,250 THB

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/6047/755/VGA--การ์ดแสดงผล--GIGABYTE-GeForce-210-1GB-DDR-3-64BIT---GV-N210D3-1GI--


My desktop (Acer) only has a 200W power supply and that has been fine for about 6 years so far.  Currently it's powering 4 Internal hard Drives without issue so I see no reason to buy a 650W power supply, you could save money there.

And save a bit on the CPU with an i3  - https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/24438/995/CPU--ซีพียู--INTEL-1151-CORE-I3-7100-3-9-GHz--KABY-LAKE-

Yes, you could certainly go cheaper with the CPU and GPU.  If the OP isn't going to be playing games or video editing, then he could just leave out the GPU all together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I would replace the Graphics card with something much cheaper.

I have an OEM GeForce GT 620 in my desktop, it's been perfectly capable of driving my dual monitor setup, plays videos fine and everything else you'd need (unless you are a gamer).   I couldn't find the same card on JIB but this one looks the same for only 1,250 THB

 

Why not just count on the onboard graphics built into the Intel processor?    I have 2 almost identical Dell servers and I installed a graphics card into just one of them, and the Task Manager always shows the NVidia card at 0% activity with the GPU built into the CPU taking all the video load.    The server with no added card works exactly the same.   I don't game at all so it seems like I wasted the money.

 

To connect a 2nd monitor, I just bought a $20 USB to HDMI adapter cable.  (Works great on a laptop with just one HDMI out, too- giving me 3 monitors including the laptop screen)   Again, adequate for normal purposes, unless you're gaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

 

The only caveat I have found with free stuff is that they never get the formatting exactly the same and I hate wasting time reformatting a spreadsheet (especially the graphs) or a word processing document that's been sent to me by someone who either used a free program, or uses line returns instead of fixing their margins.  Do that once a week for a year, and I can more than pay out the $60 that MS Office subscriptions cost me at a QSNCC event, just in aggravation.

 

If you're not opening other people's documents, or sending yours to others, the free programs work great.

 

 

been using apache open office and no issues with excel created spreadsheets at all.

 

https://www.tecmint.com/microsoft-office-alternatives-for-linux/

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Thian said:

Lenovo has superfast SSD....i forgot the term for it...My Lenovo boots in 10 sec (Win10) and best thing is it NEVER gets warm (makes noise)...That's very important for thailand so you can keep it on your lap..My old Dell sounded like a hairdryer and made my legs very warm...

 

But a desktop? Nahh, i want to lay on the couch and not sit behind a desk.

 

 

nowadays any ssd is fast enough for most work.  situations where very fast tech is needed can be very large high data intensive work and or servers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, impulse said:
17 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I would replace the Graphics card with something much cheaper.

I have an OEM GeForce GT 620 in my desktop, it's been perfectly capable of driving my dual monitor setup, plays videos fine and everything else you'd need (unless you are a gamer).   I couldn't find the same card on JIB but this one looks the same for only 1,250 THB

 

Why not just count on the onboard graphics built into the Intel processor?    I have 2 almost identical Dell servers and I installed a graphics card into just one of them, and the Task Manager always shows the NVidia card at 0% activity with the GPU built into the CPU taking all the video load.    The server with no added card works exactly the same.   I don't game at all so it seems like I wasted the money.

 

To connect a 2nd monitor, I just bought a $20 USB to HDMI adapter cable.  (Works great on a laptop with just one HDMI out, too- giving me 3 monitors including the laptop screen)   Again, adequate for normal purposes, unless you're gaming.

 

Yes I guess you could do that.   My Acer desktop was prebuilt and came with the graphics card.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

at fortune it mall pro corner and its sister shop sell second hand desktops and laptops. they are reputable company brands and have seen i3, i5 and many small form factor cases. that is often all you need for a small business.  can always add an ssd to them.

 

typical prices .  4 -7,000 baht

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Thian said:

Lenovo has superfast SSD....i forgot the term for it...My Lenovo boots in 10 sec (Win10) and best thing is it NEVER gets warm (makes noise)...That's very important for thailand so you can keep it on your lap..My old Dell sounded like a hairdryer and made my legs very warm...

 

But a desktop? Nahh, i want to lay on the couch and not sit behind a desk.

For real work a desktop is better cheaper as it does not have cooling problems. You can never have a laptop for the same price as a desktop (with the same specs). Working on the couch.. maybe but real work in my opinion is done behind a desktop with a good monitor and nice keyboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2018 at 10:35 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes the Win10 is a bit tricky but since it's for his business then okay I would say.

 

I bought my Win10 on Ebay for app 10$ and didn't have any problems so far, but I think the product key is from a binned PC, sooo.

 

My PC was around 43k baht + a 28" 4K monitor

 

 

On 8/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, kekalot said:

personally, I paid much more for better computer but if you are asking if the price is too high then you likely do not even know what you are getting

it's a fine machine but I would do the following:

 

get a better power supply. never even heard of "Cougar" PS, lol

ditch the Windows 10 and get it elsewhere, can easily be gotten on ebay as other have mentionned for 10-15$ but very easily under 1500 baht

ditch office home whatever it is (probably office 365 home?) unless you ABSOLUTELY need it,

if you just need a word processor/excel/powerpoint you can use OpenOffice for free and it's practically the same. this similarly I can get for 1500 baht, probably cheaper on eBay

 

use the difference to buy a proper case, ac powered speakers - none of that just speakers and to computer weak stuff (or headphones), keyboard and mouse (none seem to be listed on there) and a UPS.. you will want the UPS for the crappy electric they use here even if its small one

 

the prices he is giving you seem to be market prices but that motherboard seems to be the cheapest available (b360m is very vague to be honest)

I been doing builds all my life.. if you need some assistance you can PM me.

Totally agree about Apache Open Office, in my view it is also better than MS Office. Have used it for a number of years without problems. 

 

A logitech laser mouse and keyboard are also worth having unless you like cables cluttering up your desk and can be bought from many places like Lazada for instance at a lower cost. Battery life is not a problem and both the mouse and kd have an  on/off switch.

 

The other main item you use every day is the monitor so compare teh LG with Samsung who in all probability provide LG with some ot the parts.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...