Is 36k baht too much to pay for a new desktop

bbabythai

26 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

My 4k monitor was mainly bought for editing photos on.

The topic was about buying a PC for a business and an Android TV box is hardly of any use for that, 555.

Business uses don't take a powerful or expensive computer.

A nice screen for your eyes plus the cheapest computer will do the trick.

It's games that need powerful computers.

(looks at OP, doesn't see any request for autoCAD or video editing)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, fantom said:

I agree entirely.

I also have used linux exclusively with free office software for my business for over 20 years. Latterly using linux Mint and libre Office. It works and is free and updates with ease. There are masses of free software such as scanning and photo manipulation as well.

I use Ubuntu. It is great. Been using Linux for 15 years or more (Mepis).

My desktop is an AMD 1700 with a Tomahawk Motherboard. Mainly used for photos and Netflix/4K TV. Total cost was around 44,000 including 32GB or ram and a 1050 GTI card. I do have a dual boot for Windows 10 on it as my wife is a gamer but I never use Windows. She plays games most nights.

36K is too much for what your getting.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

I would not call myself a cheap charlie especially when it concerns computers. I build one for myself last month that cost over a 100.000 bt. That is without the 3 monitors and special gaming keyboard (great for my work as i got a row of keys i can program for accounting).

It has the latest intel I7 processor, a 2TB SSD m.2, 1080 GT vga, liquid cooling, expensive casing, 32 GB ram (no normal HDD), legal windows 10, expensive mainboard. You just can't get something like that in a laptop. Laptops are for people who don't work behind it for longer periods. Because if you do you want a good monitor and a good keyboard and mouse. 

Sure then you can buy those and connect them to the laptop... but then you take away the only advantage of a laptop its mobility.

I actually have a laptop too a macbook (with windows 10) for when i travel and need to work just a bit. 

I would not buy a laptop if I went from place to place, but I have been living here in the same house in Thailand for 10 years, I even got a home gym here filled with stuff, a lot harder to move then a desktop.

Desktops just give more power for less money and are better configurable. Laptops are better for those of us who don't work behind it for extended periods of time and prefer to stay mobile.

74615.jpg.c686b93e46ec3c42e061267332a5212e.jpg

I work 12 hours at least everyday on laptops. You must have very special needs for your accounting job to need something so powerful hahahaha...

And dont you feel ridiculous to tell that when you connect a laptop to screen and keyboard, you lose all advantages ?! Of course when traveling you do not bring your keyboard and screen, but still, your computer with everything needed inside will move with you !

Anyway, anybody can do as he wants, but don't pretend that there is any logic behind your ideas.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

My 4k monitor was mainly bought for editing photos on.

The topic was about buying a PC for a business and an Android TV box is hardly of any use for that, 555.

actually android boxes have become fairly powerful and do in fact run ubuntu (very common linux version) and can be used for many business applications.

57 usd

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/GeekBox-Open-Source-Cross-TV-BOX-Android-Ubuntu-Dual-Boot-4K-RK3368-Octa-Core-2G-16G-AC-WIFI-1000M-LAN-BT4-1-HDMI2-0-OTG-358067.html

20 hours ago, gaff said:

Really, people still buy desktop computers ?! Any good reason ? Maybe you enjoy the hassle of having to carry it when it has problems ? Too easy to carry a laptop, right ?!

You really have no idea about technology, business, entertainment & productivity if you are asking that.

38 minutes ago, gaff said:

I work 12 hours at least everyday on laptops. You must have very special needs for your accounting job to need something so powerful hahahaha...

And dont you feel ridiculous to tell that when you connect a laptop to screen and keyboard, you lose all advantages ?! Of course when traveling you do not bring your keyboard and screen, but still, your computer with everything needed inside will move with you !

Anyway, anybody can do as he wants, but don't pretend that there is any logic behind your ideas.

There is logic behind my idea's you just don't see it. You got a laptop to be mobile.. once you buy a monitor and keyboard your no longer mobile. Yes you don't have to bring it with you but then its not nice working anymore.

I would not be caught dead behind a laptop with a screen and keyboard.. id feel real foolish because at that point id realize i should have bought a desktop. 

Yes I got real special needs, i could never use a laptop as I need at least 2 screens one of them on its side (reading A4 papers goes better on one of those). I tried working behind laptops its just not for me I need a good keyboard and a good monitor, a good desk and chair. Like i said its all about comfort while working. 

I use my computer for VR too got an oculus rift and I do play games at times. I know for sure my desktop will run circles around your low spec cheap ass laptop (I thought id get rude back seeing that is your thing). Maybe its news to you not everyone needs a laptop some of use really live here and have an office / home to work from. If i was traveling around i would get a laptop but it would not help me much because i need 2 good screens. So for me a laptop is just not good. 

I know quite a few people with desktops actually more then those with laptops. Most have a laptop as an extra computer but do most of their real work behind a deskop.

46 minutes ago, robblok said:

There is logic behind my idea's you just don't see it. You got a laptop to be mobile.. once you buy a monitor and keyboard your no longer mobile. Yes you don't have to bring it with you but then its not nice working anymore.

I would not be caught dead behind a laptop with a screen and keyboard.. id feel real foolish because at that point id realize i should have bought a desktop. 

Yes I got real special needs, i could never use a laptop as I need at least 2 screens one of them on its side (reading A4 papers goes better on one of those). I tried working behind laptops its just not for me I need a good keyboard and a good monitor, a good desk and chair. Like i said its all about comfort while working. 

I use my computer for VR too got an oculus rift and I do play games at times. I know for sure my desktop will run circles around your low spec cheap ass laptop (I thought id get rude back seeing that is your thing). Maybe its news to you not everyone needs a laptop some of use really live here and have an office / home to work from. If i was traveling around i would get a laptop but it would not help me much because i need 2 good screens. So for me a laptop is just not good. 

I know quite a few people with desktops actually more then those with laptops. Most have a laptop as an extra computer but do most of their real work behind a deskop.

So you confirm that your desktop computer is a lot more mobile than my laptops, I also confirm your logic ❤️

1 hour ago, robblok said:

i  have a macbook connected to a good external monitor and usb keyboard at home. i can easily take the macbook to travel. it is powerful enough to do most stuff.

for high power things like video editing have a 4 core and 12 core xeon hackintosh desktop (2 boxes) connected to 2 monitors.  also have an old dell pentium desktop that still works well.

7 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Since when did this topic go from the price of a desktop to Desktop vs Laptop?

These days lots of people have both.

Each has its pro's and con's.

Indeed. I have two desktops and two laptops. Horses for courses. 

2 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Since when did this topic go from the price of a desktop to Desktop vs Laptop?

These days lots of people have both.

Each has its pro's and con's.

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

Indeed. I have two desktops and two laptops. Horses for courses. 

Yes indeed, but some just refuse to see that a old school desktop PC is still very good for many things and they are generally much more reliable as the components are not cramped inside so heaps of space, giving very good cooling, or you can add liquid cooling if wanted/needed. As mentioned before, it's very easy to work inside a desktop pc and even a non expert can in many cases do it himself.

If you want a fast, a real fast PC, no other options than a desktop PC but okay most don't need that.

I hardly ever uses my laptop when home, love my desktop pc.

I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop. 

I only use my laptops when I have to travel and I have two so that when I am travelling I will have two screens to work from.  I use Synergy to control one of the laptops from the other.  It's been a pretty ok compromise to the problem of laptops having only one screen.   However there are now pretty good portable screens so my next upgrade will be to get two of those extra screens.  Then I'll have a laptop with 3 screens when I travel.   The only problem is I have a 17.3" laptop at the moment and the external screens are only upto 15.6" so far.   I'll have to buy a laptop with a 15.6" screen so all 3 screens are the same size.   Style is as important to me as function.  

The Asus portable screens look good - https://www.amazon.com/Asustek-15-6in-wled-1920x1080-16/dp/B014Y25AWW/

13 hours ago, atyclb said:

i  have a macbook connected to a good external monitor and usb keyboard at home. i can easily take the macbook to travel. it is powerful enough to do most stuff.

for high power things like video editing have a 4 core and 12 core xeon hackintosh desktop (2 boxes) connected to 2 monitors.  also have an old dell pentium desktop that still works well.

That is the point, i got a mac book for travel with windows 10 and 2 desktops. I just don't like working behind a laptop for long periods. Its just not comfortable. 

A desktop and a desk with one or more good monitors and a keyboard is just much better than any laptop. A laptop is just better for travel never saw anyone with a desktop on a holiday. 

When I go to my home country i took a laptop once still had to get 2 monitors there and a keyboard and mouse.. Now I just made sure I have a desktop at my parents or brother.

Apple products are not great, tbh. You pay extra for technology that was in pcs 2-3 years ago. Watch Louis Rossman on YouTube, he repairs the things and will tell you that they are junk, designed to break after a couple of years and not be repairable so that you have to buy another one. Pretty good business model, though.

20 hours ago, atyclb said:

A laptop is clearly enough for most of the people who think that they need a powerful desktop. Ridiculous them.

People who are happy with their laptops are probably just using them for email and facebook. Let them continue, no harm done.

Power users will need something better.

I doubt there is a laptop on the planet that can compete with my custom built desktop, and I built it for very cheap. But I'm doing HD video encoding so need a lot more than 4 cores.

Apple users convince themselves that their computer is great because it was expensive, but it will be simply outclassed by any modern PC in spades. You want a lot of white plastic? No problem. $500 please. And when it breaks in 2 years? Another $750 please.

Stop buying Apple products and buy your computer based on performance, not looks.

Just now, pr9spk said:

People who are happy with their laptops are probably just using them for email and facebook. Let them continue, no harm done.

Power users will need something better.

Indeed, power users have different needs, i consider myself a power user. All the time i save with having a faster better computer pays itself back. 

Laptops are nice and mobile but just not good to work behind without an extra monitor and keyboard plus you pay more for a laptop of the same specs as a desktop. Why pay more unless you need the mobility. 

2 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Laptops are laptops, and desktops are desktops!

Both have benefits!

Personally I have both. But if you ever catch me with an Apple product, please shoot me! And the person who gave it to me.

I got a macbook.. but removed the apple OS put windows 10 on it works like a charm. I liked it because battery life was good. Otherwise you will never ever see me buy a Apple product. 

19 hours ago, robblok said:

I got a macbook.. but removed the apple OS put windows 10 on it works like a charm. I liked it because battery life was good. Otherwise you will never ever see me buy a Apple product. 

I bought a Mac Book Air and wiped the Mac OS off completely, replacing it with Linux Mint.   

It's a great laptop for taking to meetings as it's nice and small, but I hate having to do any work on it because I'm so used to having large dual screens when I'm at my desk.

20 hours ago, robblok said:

You have lost me here, why would you buy a Mac that I presume you pay a premium for and put windows on it? another poster has put Linux mint on one.I have a Sony laptop and I put Ubuntu on it but I really don't understand, why you have changed the OS on an apple product.

12 minutes ago, adammike said:

You have lost me here, why would you buy a Mac that I presume you pay a premium for and put windows on it? another poster has put Linux mint on one.I have a Sony laptop and I put Ubuntu on it but I really don't understand, why you have changed the OS on an apple product.

All the tests showed the laptop had great battery life, that was important to me it was better as others. I just hate apple OS but the hardware was sound. So I changed the OS made it more useful for me.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

All the tests showed the laptop had great battery life, that was important to me it was better as others. I just hate apple OS but the hardware was sound. So I changed the OS made it more useful for me.

Did you buy the windows 10 or is it a knock off ? You must be one off the few who changed an apple/Mac OS for Windows,I have dumped windows for Ubuntu on my 18 inch Sony laptop I got that as a desktop replacement, though it's a bit of a lump to call it portable.even with Ubuntu it's slow to start up though the forums say that Sony is known not to run at their optimum with Linux.If I ever replace it I will look for a chrome book that has no bloatware but I only need it for Web surfing and e mails etc.My phone and tablet does it all nowdays  I hardly use the laptop at all and if I need any printing doing I just go to my local office shop and pick up what I have sent them by e-mailed,don't you love modern stuff 

1 hour ago, adammike said:

some older macs lack required hardware to run more current versions of osx but can run more current versions of linux and even windows.

1 hour ago, robblok said:
1 hour ago, adammike said:

I bought the Macbook Air because at the time it was the only laptop with the form factor that I liked.   I always consider style and looks when I buy things, I also really like the way Apple users react when I tell them I wiped the MacOS ? 

Archived