A three-horse race for the next election?

rooster59

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I can only see 2 jockeys. It is democracy versus feudalism. 

Quick-200 bucks on Fuedalism to win-very fine nag having been around the paddock more than a few times.

In this '3 legged' contest Democracy won't even get a place.

But don't despair as a poster has just claimed on another thread that the European countries are 'failed states' whilst dear old Shangri-La is the epitome of sensible baronial management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Quick-200 bucks on Fuedalism to win-very fine nag having been around the paddock more than a few times.

In this '3 legged' contest Democracy won't even get a place.

But don't despair as a poster has just claimed on another thread that the European countries are 'failed states' whilst dear old Shangri-La is the epitome of sensible baronial management.

Wouldn’t go against your wager since feudal government tenure exceeded elected government. Each time democracy found their voices, they are brutally subdued and have to retreat and wait for another day. But I will put a side wager that this may be a new  dawn without the revered nobility and better informed citizens. Maybe not too soon but certainly in the near future. 

13 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Wouldn’t go against your wager since feudal government tenure exceeded elected government. Each time democracy found their voices, they are brutally subdued and have to retreat and wait for another day. But I will put a side wager that this may be a new  dawn without the revered nobility and better informed citizens. Maybe not too soon but certainly in the near future. 

I hope so Eric.

But not this time around as the other contenders have been nobbled whilst Fuedalism-tried and trusted steed-has had an extra something (or two)added to his oats.

I have a bit of a theory which I would like folks to comment upon which has more to do with geo-politics than anything else...

The more Thailand gallops away from the West and into the stables of a welcoming autocracy the less likely they will be to pay lip service (and it always was totally superficial on the part of the elites) to 'democracy'.

15 hours ago, baboon said:

Let us for a moment assume you are wrong and that the military can lose.

I may have misunderstood the new constitution in which the military are guaranteed 51% of the parliament and as such will always have a working majority. If I am wrong I would be relieved and happy to hear or it so if you can help me baboon much appreciated.

50 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

What kind of democratic form might you be using as reference?

1997 constitution as reference. For the first time in Thai history, both houses were directly elected. Many human rights are explicitly acknowledged in the text, and measures were established to increase the stability of elected governments.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

1997 constitution as reference. For the first time in Thai history, both houses were directly elected. Many human rights are explicitly acknowledged in the text, and measures were established to increase the stability of elected governments.

Not really much of a difference in Thais lives and lifestyles, freedom of movement, independence, self-sufficiency - be it so-call elected civilian or any such militarism/elite system, as they're all belong to the same puppetry theatre. 

How are Thais suppressed, really, in any given instance? For  generations.

It's been my observation that most Western pundits?, resident or wannabe, miss the larger picture - or any picture at all, for that matter.

They invent surface and anxious formalities that have little to do with anything, less Thai social structure. 

11 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Not really much of a difference in Thais lives and lifestyles, freedom of movement, independence, self-sufficiency - be it so-call elected civilian or any such militarism/elite system, as they're all belong to the same puppetry theatre. 

How are Thais suppressed, really, in any given instance? For  generations.

It's been my observation that most Western pundits?, resident or wannabe, miss the larger picture - or any picture at all, for that matter.

They invent surface and anxious formalities that have little to do with anything, less Thai social structure. 

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/thailand

Judging from your myopic view, I doubt the article will made much impression on you. Just being polite to provide a response to your post.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, baboon said:

Basically you are correct. Plus as said the next government must implement the 20 year junta strategy or face removal. Any administration the military and their backers' will have about as much power as a school milk monitor.

Same as it ever was.

One will find this to be true, fitting, and in place for decades. 

Many aren't terribly knowledgeable regarding contemporary Thai history or their observation skills tend to drift. 

Most consider all this current activity and protocol to be new or new to them, anyway. 

On 8/25/2018 at 4:48 PM, Srikcir said:

It might be rather a two-horse and one donkey race.

5 years of absolute power does not a donkey make. Give credit where it is due. I'd say he's making everyone else look like donkeys.

• Like 1

"The Constitution has been designed in such a way that he will not necessarily have to run the election himself and yet can expect to have the premiership handed to him in a silver platter." 

Says it all really. The outcome of the 2019 "selection" has been meticulously engineered pre-coup by the junta and their masters. 

A pre-ordained puppet of the amart.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

"The Constitution has been designed in such a way that he will not necessarily have to run the election himself and yet can expect to have the premiership handed to him in a silver platter." 

Says it all really. The outcome of the 2019 "selection" has been meticulously engineered pre-coup by the junta and their masters. 

A pre-ordained puppet of the amart.  

Agreed, but why they would want this arrogant, bad-tempered and charmless dullard to continue making a fool of himself on their behalf is a mystery to me...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, baboon said:

Naturally those with no idea but looking for a bite will continue to post unsubstantiated flapdoodle without a scrap of evidence to support their assertions. To be expected.

is flapdoodle  like flapjack mmmmmmmmmmmmm  yummy