Transformation of Sukhumvit Sois 5 to 19

Mike West

On 8/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, Deli said:

Things change, not always to the better.

The old charm has gone, as in many other places in BKK

Character

Charm,

Atmosphere,

laid back,

hang loose,

live and let live,

unique flavor

cool

ambience

These are all dirty words to the junta....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/26/2018 at 2:25 AM, Nyezhov said:

I never seen you there! Lets go!

I remember NYC before the Cross Bronx!

I remember dirt roads in the City of Anchorage!

I remember when Hollywood Blvd was fun!

I remember when the last 15 or so kilometers of the road from Bkk to Pattaya was dirt and impassable when it rained. 

8 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Saying all this - the land next to the Landmark has been empty as long I can recall - anyone remember was there originally?

I think it was empty 20 years ago

On 10/25/2018 at 7:32 AM, RAZZELL said:

Oh well...things change...????

20 years ago there were bars in Soi "0" under the flyover and Soi 15 where there is the now the big Sofitel.

Soi 11 had BedSuperclub, Soi 5 Gullivers used to be rammed. 

Whilst I appreciate the removal of the street vendors who blocked the main Suk Road...with their removal a little bit of the "soul" of Bangkok also departed.

Saying this, the McDonalds on the corner of Soi 5 must be the only one in the world which operates as a freelancer brothel!

The land is far too valuable to sustain cheap beer bars and massage joints. Eventually they will all disappear or go "upmarket".

Saying all this - the land next to the Landmark has been empty as long I can recall - anyone remember was there originally?

RAZZ

Don't forget Mc Donalds at Robinson Asok, freelancers day and night sitting alone trying to make eye contact with the tourist guys. Ok, that was 15-20 years, haven't been there since ,probably changed a lot. Remember when Asok intersection was a dark place at night, Exchange tower was a ghost building, and there where shabby "hole in the wall" bars where interchange tower is located. Drive pass there a few times a year, the area is completely destroyed, only makes me depressed to see the new shopping malls.

Dont need to be annoyed by all the Indian restaurant as they will be gone soon enough!

If you ever did notice, most times they never have even a 1 customer!

Think about this...

Thais will never be a customer,

There is not enough tourist to keep all them in business.

The farang like on Thaivisa will certainly never be the customer. lol

Even the small Indian community wont be support as they make their own food and these restaurant will be to expensive for them anyways.

Every time i see these places open and empty i must think "The Thais got you again ching ching" 555

only a matter of time until they close up

or another silly lot like many other foriegner will come in thinking they will make big money but will just to pay big rents and have no customer.

19 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Dont need to be annoyed by all the Indian restaurant as they will be gone soon enough!

If you ever did notice, most times they never have even a 1 customer!

Think about this...

Thais will never be a customer,

There is not enough tourist to keep all them in business.

The farang like on Thaivisa will certainly never be the customer. lol

Even the small Indian community wont be support as they make their own food and these restaurant will be to expensive for them anyways.

Every time i see these places open and empty i must think "The Thais got you again ching ching" 555

only a matter of time until they close up

or another silly lot like many other foriegner will come in thinking they will make big money but will just to pay big rents and have no customer.

Some of those Indian places been there for years and years. They have never been crowded...

I miss the tunnel on Soi 5....Now that place had atmosphere....It was kind of run down but I loved it....The tunnel was magical in a seedy sort of way...Its one of the things that made Bangkok great.... 

Great for sex tourists that like sleeze. Not so great for thais

Soi 13 was just completely ripped up, new drains , new concrete Rd installed and now they started same on soi 15 and will continue up Sukhumvit

Black's rounded up and new 5 star hotels. Foot paths liberated

The hard core red light area is shrinking just like most red light areas in the world they eventually get built out.

Q house next door to Nana bts will give you and idea where Nana is heading... Condos 1 to 5 million USA DOLLARS

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

Great for sex tourists that like sleeze. Not so great for thais

Soi 13 was just completely ripped up, new drains , new concrete Rd installed and now they started same on soi 15 and will continue up Sukhumvit

Black's rounded up and new 5 star hotels. Foot paths liberated

The hard core red light area is shrinking just like most red light areas in the world they eventually get built out.

Q house next door to Nana bts will give you and idea where Nana is heading... Condos 1 to 5 million USA DOLLARS

It will be great when everywhere in the world is just the same, and we can go on foreign holidays assured that we can get Indian, Thai, Chinese, Lebanese, Western food just the same as in our own countries. Everyone, Thai, Chinese,  Western, should have the same range of shops open to them in a comfortable, well-lit and safe mall with ample parking.  Quaint is for peasants in history, and nostalgic tourists.  If you want quaint now, go to a theme park....

EDIT: now there’s an idea ... World of Sukhumvit theme park, clean, well-managed, safe, comfortably out of town, with McDonalds and ample parking and early bird discounts in the morning

It will be great when everywhere in the world is just the same, and we can go on foreign holidays assured that we can get Indian, Thai, Chinese, Lebanese, Western food just the same as in our own countries. Everyone, Thai, Chinese,  Western, should have the same range of shops open to them in a comfortable, well-lit and safe mall with ample parking.  Quaint is for peasants in history, and nostalgic tourists.  If you want quaint now, go to a theme park....

EDIT: now there’s an idea ... World of Sukhumvit theme park, clean, well-managed, safe, comfortably out of town, with McDonalds and ample parking and early bird discounts in the morning
Absolutely it well eventually become like any clean modern city. What were you expecting? They freeze it in time for big bwana like you to enjoy the sleeze? .. Bring back the street elephants On Sukhumvit?

You want chaos and 3rd world why don't you go to PP Cambodia or Mumbai

All aboard toot toot [emoji16]

Do the late bars still set up on the sidewalk after 2 am? last time I was there it was all just starting again, around 9 months ago
Huh? I live nearly right on lower Sukhumvit and they have been gone for years. They were infested with Nigerians and lady boys.. Good riddance

However there are a few in the side sois usually around a construction site

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Some of those Indian places been there for years and years. They have never been crowded...

Pattaya has has LOADS of Indian restaurants open in the last 2-3-4 years...And just about every one of them is void of customers save for a few Indians who I highly suspect are just the other Indian restaurant owners who go to each others restaurants to eat...lol...and maybe a few of their friends....

I honestly dont think they care if they have any customers or not...

55 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

This is funny but its NOT funny that this is where things are headed...

53 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Huh? I live nearly right on lower Sukhumvit and they have been gone for years. They were infested with Nigerians and lady boys.. Good riddance

However there are a few in the side sois usually around a construction site

The tables late at night on lower Sukhumvit were really cool......Why should any one even care that they were there? The tables were not even set up till late late, maybe between 2-3 AM and they were gone by morning......I think 99.9% of the wide open sterile pavement lovers are all safe and tucked in bed by then...

8 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

This is funny but its NOT funny that this is where things are headed...

I remember when The Old Country was different, but for some years now retail has been dominated by Out Of Town malls, and town centre pubs have been dying.  It’s like is Angeles now- Last time I was driving back home, slightly the worse for wear, I had to pull up alongside some dude and shout “Buenos Dias -Que Passa?” To figure out which side of the road to drive on.

”Eh? D’ye wanna Square go, ye raj?” set me on my way, and I was glad I hadn’t askeda motorcyclist.

The tables late at night on lower Sukhumvit were really cool......Why should any one even care that they were there? The tables were not even set up till late late, maybe between 2-2.30AM and they were gone by morning......I think 99.9% of the wide open pavement lovers are all safe and tucked in bed by then...

Wrong. That's the time you got there not when they opened. I've lived there for 12 years and the tables were out as early as 7 pm. And then you had the street stalls on both sides of the foot path

I was so happy when the junta shut it all down.

I don't want that crap on my front door and it appears you visit 9 months ago. You probably live in quite soi somewhere

go to soi 4 or soi cowboy both tucked away in side sois . Are there not enough bars for you? Must be a hundred between them

15 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Wrong. That's the time you got there not when they opened. I've lived there for 12 years and the tables were out as early as 7 pm. And then you had the street stalls on both sides of the foot path

I was so happy when the junta shut it all down.

I don't want that crap on my front door and it appears you visit 9 months ago. You probably live in quite soi somewhere

If I want to see pussy and drink I go to soi 4 or soi cowboy both tucked away in side sois . Are there not enough bars for you? Must be a hundred between them

I hate to tell you this but at the first opportunity ever thing will be back same as before....Because....Thats just the way the Thais roll....A table chairs some beer and a hot crock cooker can be set up or taken down in 5-10 minutes.....The stalls take a bit longer but they can be set up fast too...

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yes, the many on the Sukhumvit road proper, been there a long time and soi 11 and older Tandoor style places scattered about.

But im talking about other sois on odd number side, last time i went i notice a few sois been completely re-done with the new hotels and upmarket bars that also have no customers. 

In that sois, also have many new Indian places, you must think very hard to compete for the small customer market.

they must have a thinking like a Thai..

See a few a places seem to do OK, so open up and think many will flock into their place.

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

Yes, the many on the Sukhumvit road proper, been there a long time and soi 11 and older Tandoor style places scattered about.

But im talking about other sois on odd number side, last time i went i notice a few sois been completely re-done with the new hotels and upmarket bars that also have no customers. 

In that sois, also have many new Indian places, you must think very hard to compete for the small customer market.

they must have a thinking like a Thai..

See a few a places seem to do OK, so open up and think many will flock into their place.

The Indian restaurants are getting the money from some where to stay open....Rents near Sukhumvit are not cheap....If well known well patronized British Pubs are shutting the doors what chance does a Indian restaurant with almost no customers have...

The Indian restaurants are getting the money from some where to stay open....Rents near Sukhumvit are not cheap....If well known well patronized British Pubs are shutting the doors what chance does a Indian restaurant with almost no customers have...

Some just like tailors have been there forever when Sukhumvit was more affordable to BUY on.

Just babysitting the property and no rent they don't need to sell much untill inevitably the developer buys out 20 shops in a row for crazy money

Indians are anything except stupid business men

On 8/25/2018 at 6:33 AM, peterb17 said:

Why do you care.? 

Does it upset your sensibilities - like it or not - the world is a little more multicultural these days . 

No. The western world is more multicultural. Arab countries, India, Pakistan, China et al are still homogeneous nations who are hostile to outsiders and have no hesitation in harassing, terrorizing or killing them.

What we have  on Sukhumvit is the ghettoization of an area, just as one has seen in  Pattaya or Patong, except with a different ethnicity dominating.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:43 AM, Expatthailover said:

Another 'too many of them not enough of us thread'.

The world is becoming more multicultural  ( despite the attempts of born again fascist tyrants like trump to alter the inevitability )

Wrong. The western world has become more multicultural and in some places it has become a "settlement" area where foreign groups have transplanted their culture and customs. Multicultural is when there is a sharing of social flavours, and  customs. With these people it is only their own specific culture without allowance for anything else. Look at Chinatown in Bangkok; It is visibly Chinese in characteristic, but it retains its distinctive Thai origins and surroundings. There is no imposition of the Chinese culture. Chinatown exists in harmony with the surrounding Thai environment.  If I wanted to be in Mumbai or Dubai, I would go there.

33 minutes ago, LALes said:

All these new Indian restaurants in BKK and Pattaya are the 2018 version of Optical shops and Findig leather shops.  Nothing but money laundered operations.  

I thought I was the only one who  understood what was going on.  ????

It is reassuring to know that there are others who are not oblivious to the reality.

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

No. The western world is more multicultural. Arab countries, India, Pakistan, China et al are still homogeneous nations who are hostile to outsiders and have no hesitation in harassing, terrorizing or killing them.

What we have  on Sukhumvit is the ghettoization of an area, just as one has seen in  Pattaya or Patong, except with a different ethnicity dominating.

Wrong. The western world has become more multicultural and in some places it has become a "settlement" area where foreign groups have transplanted their culture and customs. Multicultural is when there is a sharing of social flavours, and  customs. With these people it is only their own specific culture without allowance for anything else. Look at Chinatown in Bangkok; It is visibly Chinese in characteristic, but it retains its distinctive Thai origins and surroundings. There is no imposition of the Chinese culture. Chinatown exists in harmony with the surrounding Thai environment.  If I wanted to be in Mumbai or Dubai, I would go there.

I thought I was the only one who  understood what was going on.  ????

It is reassuring to know that there are others who are not oblivious to the reality.

ah yeah old Urban myth..

everyone with the slow business must be laundering money. LOL

all Italian pizza joints are a front for the Italian mafia. LOL

if got dirty money to launder and throw it into something loosing money.. 

errr you are STILL loosing money! 

even crooks are not that stupid.

if you gonna loose money on a bad business then is not really worth the risk of getting caught doing the dirty work is it?

i think a lot of guys watch way to many movies

They set up the construction barriers on the Sukhumvit median.  The city is extending the Nana BTS with a skywalk that will allow you to walk directly into the Hyatt Regency.  Similarly, Q-House has direct entry to the Nana BTS, no need to access the street.  These rich folk are going to be missing out on all the fun.

On 10/26/2018 at 3:22 PM, tingtongtourist said:

I find this hilariously amusing. If you think the well heeled Indians are even remotely interested in eating in a fleapit restaurant between Soi 5-19 you are gravely mistaken.

Often see parties of them having lavish banquets at indus or the Rang Mahal however.

Or wedding receptions at the finest 5* hotels in Bangkok.

Too expensive for them? You have no idea.

20 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I find this hilariously amusing. If you think the well heeled Indians are even remotely interested in eating in a fleapit restaurant between Soi 5-19 you are gravely mistaken.

Often see parties of them having lavish banquets at indus or the Rang Mahal however.

Or wedding receptions at the finest 5* hotels in Bangkok.

Too expensive for them? You have no idea.

ok im glad you could get a laugh out of that.555

but yeah i got your point.

Every country have rich guys and rich Indians will go to the elite place.

Still this makes the argument there is no customer for the fleapit places at 5-19.

44 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

ok im glad you could get a laugh out of that.555

but yeah i got your point.

Every country have rich guys and rich Indians will go to the elite place.

Still this makes the argument there is no customer for the fleapit places at 5-19.

We were using one hole in the wall place by Soi 23 next to the Crossbar for the last year or so.

Really good and cheap indian veg curries.

Sadly now closed and usually its greedy landlords upping the rent in that area.

The longer term Indians like Mrs Balbir seem to do OK but the others gawd knows how they survive!

Archived