Transformation of Sukhumvit Sois 5 to 19

Mike West

On 8/27/2018 at 11:27 AM, BobbyL said:

Nana / Asoke used to be the place to be when I first came here eight years ago. Now I don't know anyone who either lives in the area, or regularly frequents it. 

It's not that it became a bad area to live in. More that the cheaper rental options dried up around there. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

It's not that it became a bad area to live in. More that the cheaper rental options dried up around there. 

Agree 100%....and pretty much everything in the area shot up in price from restaurants to bars and so on.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:08 AM, LALes said:

Soi 11 used to be a happening street.  Now, its all Indians and Arabs.  Congratulations, multi-culturalists.

Yeah....not all doom and gloom just yet. Still a few good eating & drinking places with mostly western clientele. Australia Pub, Muli's sports bar, Alex etc.

Last week, on a Sunday I arranged to meet a friend at Gulliver's on Soi 5.   I got there at 4pm and when I entered, my initial thought was that it was closed.  It was very dark, the old Chevy stationary, the pool tables empty and no lights on in the back. All the TV's were off, except for one, over the very front of the bar.

There were two people working at the bar, one a lady who has been there for years.  There were two customers, one dressed in a burnoose sitting at the front of the bar.  The apparent wife of one of those customers was seated alone in a corner, she also in burnoose.  That was it; I was the only other person there.

Gulliver's used to be jumping on Sunday afternoons. Sporting events on all TV's, pool tables always with a queue waiting to take on the winner and always more than a few "working girls", usually pretty well dressed and who considered themselves a cut above the Beergarden girls and priced themselves accordingly.  It was probably the most popular "Pub" style place on lower Sukhumvit.

Now totally dead.

Last week, on a Sunday I arranged to meet a friend at Gulliver's on Soi 5.   I got there at 4pm and when I entered, my initial thought was that it was closed.  It was very dark, the old Chevy stationary, the pool tables empty and no lights on in the back. All the TV's were off, except for one, over the very front of the bar.
There were two people working at the bar, one a lady who has been there for years.  There were two customers, one dressed in a burnoose sitting at the front of the bar.  The apparent wife of one of those customers was seated alone in a corner, she also in burnoose.  That was it; I was the only other person there.

Gulliver's used to be jumping on Sunday afternoons. Sporting events on all TV's, pool tables always with a queue waiting to take on the winner and always more than a few "working girls", usually pretty well dressed and who considered themselves a cut above the Beergarden girls and priced themselves accordingly.  It was probably the most popular "Pub" style place on lower Sukhumvit.
Now totally dead.

Totally agree.

I went there one night about 4-5 weeks ago about 8pm, all the TVs were on but only a handful of customers.

Can’t remember what night...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/26/2018 at 1:18 AM, Nyezhov said:

I hope the folks that are pissed that their playground is being taken over by "the others" are consistent and get pissed when "the others" are taking over their home countries.

I dont mind the demographic changes down there, works to my light skinned, polite, well mannered well groomed, well off, generous advantage.

If  you need Indians and Arabs in order to look good...

1 hour ago, LALes said:

If  you need Indians and Arabs in order to look good...

Where did you see me say "I look good"? I look like a cross between Wayne Rooney and the Crypt Keeper. ?

On 8/25/2018 at 2:31 PM, Naroge said:

When it comes to Indian restaurants one has closed but none added.

A major change, unfortunately, is the sharply increased number of pro-ladies who now cover the most of this distance. Previously mostly an night, but now also at daytime.

Why do you say unfortunately? They don't harm anyone, although I never take them, I sometimes enjoy a chat with them.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, Deli said:

Things change, not always to the better.

The old charm has gone, as in many other places in BKK

The best thing they ever did was getting rid of a lot of these vendors set up

on both sides of the pavement causing dreadful obstructions.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:18 AM, Nyezhov said:

I hope the folks that are pissed that their playground is being taken over by "the others" are consistent and get pissed when "the others" are taking over their home countries.

I dont mind the demographic changes down there, works to my light skinned, polite, well mannered well groomed, well off, generous advantage.

These "others" you mention are one of the reasons I was glad to leave the UK behind.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 10:25 AM, dddave said:

Now totally dead.

Yeah, exactly my point, these sois are a sad place to hang out now. 

On 9/5/2018 at 8:45 AM, possum1931 said:

The best thing they ever did was getting rid of a lot of these vendors set up

on both sides of the pavement causing dreadful obstructions.

Ahh go away you whinger, sick of you lot, those street carts were a part of Bangkok's charm. Being able to sit down anywhere on the street and enjoy a drink and street food, with good looking girls walking past every minute. If you didn't like it why on earth come to Thailand then? Last time I checked Indians are Arabs aren't Thais. 

12 minutes ago, Mike West said:

Ahh go away you whinger, sick of you lot, those street carts were a part of Bangkok's charm. Being able to sit down anywhere on the street and enjoy a drink and street food, with good looking girls walking past every minute. If you didn't like it why on earth come to Thailand then? Last time I checked Indians are Arabs aren't Thais. 

You mean hookers walking by.......

34 minutes ago, Mike West said:

Why don't you try and learn how to understand peoples posts? I have never been against street vendors, only the ones who are causing obstructions and forcing people to walk on the roads to get past.

So just run along and think again before you call people whingers.

19 minutes ago, Mike West said:

So you generalize all Thai females into the "hooker" category do you? Think you've been hanging out way too long with your mamasan "friends" (who you tip to hang around you) and co. 

Wow dude who peed in your cornflakes 5555555. But surely there are more hookers on Sukhamvit than lets say...Bang Rak?

I dont quite get your Mamasan reference.

1 hour ago, Mike West said:

Well said

• 3 weeks later...

All along Sukhumvit has changed as in many Soi's especially since the Coup. Some for the better but for those of us who liked the fun of the street vendors and haggling a little more boring. I liked Soi 22 but as i can't get bacon with my breakfast looking for another Hotel to stay.

Anyone know One that is 3-4 star with breakfast near Soi 22 that still serves bacon. Chicken sausage just doe not cut it. Understand many visitors do not eat Pork or Beef but do we all have to suffer?

1 hour ago, Kiwiken said:

All along Sukhumvit has changed as in many Soi's especially since the Coup. Some for the better but for those of us who liked the fun of the street vendors and haggling a little more boring. I liked Soi 22 but as i can't get bacon with my breakfast looking for another Hotel to stay.

Anyone know One that is 3-4 star with breakfast near Soi 22 that still serves bacon. Chicken sausage just doe not cut it. Understand many visitors do not eat Pork or Beef but do we all have to suffer?

I can't imagine choosing a hotel in Bangkok on the basis of its breakfast offering.

You could wander a few minutes along to Chu at Asoke and fill your boots every day on their extensive menu or cross the street and head up Soi 31 where there are some excellent breakfast places such as Brainwake cafe or Holey Artisan.

On 9/24/2018 at 3:37 PM, Nyezhov said:

You mean hookers walking by.......

Yes that was the really good part. The hookers dress sex,smile sexy,interact easily. What's not to be enjoyed.

Smiling sexy friendly well dressed women always make my day.

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Yes that was the really good part. The hookers dress sex,smile sexy,interact easily. What's not to be enjoyed.

Smiling sexy friendly well dressed women always make my day.

You're missing one thing - they're absolute munters!!!

On 8/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, samsensam said:

humm... so 'others' somehow have less right to be here than you? or your presence is somehow more 'acceptable ' ? you consider yourself somehow 'higher' than others?

It was westerners that made the place lively and different. Not just mooching about with families in tow, not much of interest there.

Admiral Suites in Soi22 serves crispy bacon with their buffet breakfast. Good spot to have a coffee out the front and watch Thai life go by.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh well...things change...????

20 years ago there were bars in Soi "0" under the flyover and Soi 15 where there is the now the big Sofitel.

Soi 11 had BedSuperclub, Soi 5 Gullivers used to be rammed. 

Whilst I appreciate the removal of the street vendors who blocked the main Suk Road...with their removal a little bit of the "soul" of Bangkok also departed.

Saying this, the McDonalds on the corner of Soi 5 must be the only one in the world which operates as a freelancer brothel!

The land is far too valuable to sustain cheap beer bars and massage joints. Eventually they will all disappear or go "upmarket".

Saying all this - the land next to the Landmark has been empty as long I can recall - anyone remember was there originally?

RAZZ

Archived