2018 Multiple Entry Tourist Visa questions

Hi all, a few questions about multiple entry tourist visas if anyone can help. Thanks.

I'm looking at coming back to Thailand for 7 months or so from the end of September. Not working, I shall be spending time doing some re-training in the Sunshine. All from home, no actual courses as such, just reading a few books and looking at things online.

I am looking at the 6 month multiple entry visa. Does anyone know when the 6 months starts? When I get the visa or when I enter Thailand? Can I get my last 60 days a few days before the 6 months expires? (I shall be around for about 7 months unless I need to head home earlier). Does anyone know what they need in a letter from an Employer? Does anyone have an example that has worked? Does anyone know what sort of
'Evidence' the Thai authorities are looking for for Long stay? Should I put myself as a teacher (I work at various UK Universities over the Summer months) or will they think that I am planning to work illegally in that case? I'm not BTW. I could put myself as an IT professional quite legitimately but if I have an employers letter it will have to be from my current Uni in the UK where I'm working as an EAP lecturer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

The Visa is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Each entry gives 'permission to stay' for 60 days, but that can be extended for a further 30 days at your local Immigration office for 1,900 baht. If you exit re-enter the day before the Visa expires (enter before date) you will receive another 60 days, which can also be extended by another 30 days, so you could stay for almost 9 months on a METV.

The letter should contain the fact your employer is aware you'll be spending time in Thailand - approved absence, and your position will remain open.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SimonDePlume said:

Thank you Tanoshi ? Do you know anything about the Evidence box?

It's not applicable for Tourist Visa applications.

Only applicable for Non Immigrant type Visa applications.

Leave blank.

In the box above, Purpose of visit, state Tourism.

4 hours ago, SimonDePlume said:

Does anyone know what sort of 'Evidence' the Thai authorities are looking for for Long stay?

They are looking for reasons for you not staying long term such as a job to return to. It doesn't matter what occupation you put down as long as it matches any proof of employment letter.

I usually apply as close to my flight as possible taking into account the risk of the person issuing the METV throwing a sickie when you go. I usually get 8.5 months out of it. Close to 9 is difficult because you'd need to do visa runs on the valid to date plus you lose days here and there

You also need to provide evidence of where you will be staying i.e. hotel confirmation, also need to provide evidence of monies in bank for the 6 months prior and up to to your application £5000 for applicants from the U.K. Also flight tickets 

Edited by Sprigger

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The Visa is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Each entry gives 'permission to stay' for 60 days, but that can be extended for a further 30 days at your local Immigration office for 1,900 baht. If you exit re-enter the day before the Visa expires (enter before date) you will receive another 60 days, which can also be extended by another 30 days, so you could stay for almost 9 months on a METV.

The letter should contain the fact your employer is aware you'll be spending time in Thailand - approved absence, and your position will remain open.

Your math is throwing me off right now. That is only 180 days (90 + 90). 9 months will be 270 days.

What am I missing here? Does a multiple-entry Visa only allow you to enter 3 times (and your aim is to get 90 days out of each time?)?

Edited by InterestedSugoya

43 minutes ago, InterestedSugoya said:

Your math is throwing me off right now. That is only 180 days (90 + 90). 9 months will be 270 days.

What am I missing here? Does a multiple-entry Visa only allow you to enter 3 times (and your aim is to get 90 days out of each time?)?

The validity of the Visa and the validity of your permission to stay are separate.

E.g. Visa issued 1st Jan 2019. Enter before date will be 30th June 2019. (Validity of 6 months).

You can exit/re-enter as many times as you like within that period and on each entry you will be given permission to stay for 60 days.

If you exit/re-enter on 29th June 2019 you will be given a 60 day stamp valid until 27th Aug 2019 which can be extended for a further 30 days until 25th Sept 2019. That's almost 9 months.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

The validity of the Visa and the validity of your permission to stay are separate.
E.g. Visa issued 1st Jan 2019. Enter before date will be 30th June 2019. (Validity of 6 months).
You can exit/re-enter as many times as you like within that period and on each entry you will be given permission to stay for 60 days.

If you exit/re-enter on 29th June 2019 you will be given a 60 day stamp valid until 27th Aug 2019 which can be extended for a further 30 days until 25th Sept 2019. That's almost 9 months.
Very theoretical. Unlikely to issue the visa on the same day as the flight, minimum few days before most likely, a week or two to be on the safe side, that's why close to 9 months is unlikely