SURVEY: Removal of info from Social Media -- Censorship or Not?

Scott

SURVEY: Removal of info from Social Media -- Censorship or Not?  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:46 PM, Walter Travolta said:

What they fail to understand is that when all the opposing voices have disappeared, they have no-one to debate with haha not really a good outcome for trolls but thats how they operate

Those particular type fora devoted to spreading a particular agenda deliberately work to drive out alternative voices.  I know of some fora in the wake of elections that did not turn out the way they wanted that then turned around and began to block and harass opposing points of view. Scores and scores of members, some of whom may have been around for a decade or more, are driven out. This goes on in lots of places. An abnormal hysteria has taken root where these places turn into a sort of online secular religious operation, with members exhorting to be the best witchfinder among all the rest. And you're right, such places become boring, unless you're one of the Brotherhood.  Like I said, this goes on in lots of places these days. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Those particular type fora devoted to spreading a particular agenda deliberately work to drive out alternative voices.  I know of some fora in the wake of elections that did not turn out the way they wanted that then turned around and began to block and harass opposing points of view. Scores and scores of members, some of whom may have been around for a decade or more, are driven out. This goes on in lots of places. An abnormal hysteria has taken root where these places turn into a sort of online secular religious operation, with members exhorting to be the best witchfinder among all the rest. And you're right, such places become boring, unless you're one of the Brotherhood.  Like I said, this goes on in lots of places these days. 

Too right comrade hahaha

Anyway because of this thread and the education required for many of members who only ever see their own views, I have been on here 3 days on the bounce now. Far too often for me! I have posted what I felt necessary so I will unfollow this great topic now as like most topics once they have been exhausted, they tend to descend into derogatory name calling or 'fishing rod' comments

• Thanks 1

Why would you censor social media if you so sure you'll win? Where is censorship there is propaganda. Unfortunately, that all doesn't work for the left. Blue wave? Muahaha

#WalkAway

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Too right comrade hahaha

Anyway because of this thread and the education required for many of members who only ever see their own views, I have been on here 3 days on the bounce now. Far too often for me! I have posted what I felt necessary so I will unfollow this great topic now as like most topics once they have been exhausted, they tend to descend into derogatory name calling or 'fishing rod' comments

Well you could stick around and offer some logical well founded arguments. If you choose rather to leave, then please, thats your choice.

6 hours ago, zydeco said:

Such seething self pity.

How does anyone get 'driven out' of an online forum by others arguing with their point of view?

Edited by Chomper Higgot

It shouldn't! Its freedom of speech. It is up to people to check and verify the information they see anywhere. Nobody should be spoon fed, take a look at what happened to mainstream media and what damage they are doing.

Also who will decide what is fake or not? How objective they are? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, sup3r1or said:

It shouldn't! Its freedom of speech. It is up to people to check and verify the information they see anywhere. Nobody should be spoon fed, take a look at what happened to mainstream media and what damage they are doing.

Also who will decide what is fake or not? How objective they are? 

Your argument 'Freedom of Speech' is irrelevant.

There is no right to freedom of speech within the context of privately owned social media platforms.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:54 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

A very simple question that does not have a simple answer...

Indeed. It comes down to who is to judge what is fake or false.

There is a difference between abusive or bullying language and opinion of course and there is plenty of abuse to be found on most platforms from what I understand. Such language is dangerous as some kill themselves because of it, but IMO, any opinion of whatever POV should be allowed on forums unless it is "dangerous" or illegal. More than that I can't say, for the obvious reason.

18 hours ago, zydeco said:

Well said. There is a lot of that that goes on.

• Like 1

This just in:  Facebook deletes alternative health pages as the war on fake news escalates

"Facebook has deleted dozens of pages dedicated to fringe or holistic medicine in an apparent crackdown on pseudoscience. The Global Freedom Movement, an alternative media site, reported that the social platform purged over 80 accounts and that “no reason was provided.

This includes rather large accounts focused on health, natural remedies, and organic living, such as Just Natural Medicine (1 million followers), Natural Cures Not Medicine (2.3 million followers), and People’s Awakening (3.6 million followers). Small accounts with under 15,000 followers were also hit."

This on the heels of Alex Jones being surgically removed from social media like the malignant tumor he is.  Good riddance to "alternative truth" pages that prey on the gullible and under-educated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2018 at 10:13 AM, manarak said:

I voted NO

BUT

I think false information should be removed.

I take exception at the wording of the question: "deemed to be false".

I'm not a native English speaker, but I understand "deemed" as meaning "estimated, judged, etc.", but it does not mean "proven".

I think only information that is PROVEN to be false should be removed. Any other information is an OPINION.

People removing opinions are censors infringing on free speech.

and... just give it some more thought: how many passages of the Bible or the Qu'ran will have to be removed?

All of them, Bible or Qu'ran will need to be removed under his definition.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, Credo said:

It should be removed.   It is so disheartening to hear things like:

--Sandy Hook never happened and it was staged.   

--The Parkland shooting didn't happen and the students are actors.

--Hillary Clinton ran a child sex-trafficking ring (causing a shooting)

etc., etc., etc.,   

Agreed it is disheartening. But such claims are obviously rubbish. The best defence against such idiotic banal conspiracies is to take the piss out of their proponents quite mercilessly. With luck that will make them so furious they will make even bigger fools of themselves, and make their followers look even more ridiculous. Social media is quite good for that...

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

Agreed it is disheartening. But such claims are obviously rubbish. The best defence against such idiotic banal conspiracies is to take the piss out of their proponents quite mercilessly. With luck that will make them so furious they will make even bigger fools of themselves, and make their followers look even more ridiculous. Social media is quite good for that...

Since a big part of the US population buys into this fake news, this approach is not working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Since a big part of the US population buys into this fake news, this approach is not working.

The children need to burn their fingers on a stove to understand that hot elements hurts them. 

Only after that they start to respect the stove's heat and become aware of the dangers it offers.

Don't do this, don't do that, without physical pain doesn't really work for the kids. 

It's the same with uneducated as well as educated adults. They also need occasionally burn their fingers on a stove, to learn the limits of their behaviour.

We are in the time when the stove is getting hot. 

In the old days before Internet , you could read newspapers and you would be almost 100% sure the news were real , unless you lived in a dictatorship like N-Korea.

So no , I do not welcome fake news , too much of it and people do not understand whats fake and whats real anymore.  

Especially the young generation I think are struggling with this.  

I prefer only BBC these days if I want to read global news. You can trust their sources most of the time.  Social media is just a circus , if you look at it that way then fine , just entertainment and do not take it seriously .