New driving license regulations good for business, says driving school instructor

webfact

New driving license regulations good for business, says driving school instructor

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai media quoted a driving school instructor who was expecting a surge in business after moves were announced to amend laws regarding licenses.

And local media said it was good for safety on the infamous Thai roads.

Some 10 million Thais are thought to be on the roads without a license - now with fines of 50,000 baht being proposed many will be wanting to be road legal, reported Sanook on an INN story.

Nitiran Sangthong, a driving instructor at Mitr Ruam Jai in Lat Krabang, said many more people will want to know how to pass the theory and practical tests.

He said this included many who are already experienced drivers on the roads who don't have licenses.

Sanook in their headline said:

"Believe it! 50K fine for no license will make people drive more safely".

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-27

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

They have driving instructors in Thailand?  Really?  Who would of thought it!  

All of this reminds me of when my Thai son went to a driving school just down the road in Bkk some 20 years ago.

He asked the owner if he would teach both driving skills and the rules of the road.

Response from school owner/instructor; 'I can't teach you the rules of the road because there is no such thing'. Son produced a booklet he had purchased at a mainstream book shop, with the rules / signs / situations all explained very clearly with good diagrams.

Driving school owner sai 'it's fake'. Son walked away.

He quickly found another school which did teach him both skills and rules, and the owner was impressed with the booklet and he bought many copies of the booklet my son had and from then on gave it to all his students. 

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

i kid you not, i saw a toyota camry with red L plates like they have in the uk and driving school logos on it in bkk a few weeks ago. 1st time in 20 odd years i remember seeing a driving instructor in thailand

Passing the practical exam here has ZERO relationship to driving safely! The test is a total waste of time. All these schools do is teach people to pass the useless test. The qualifications needed to teach are a joke.

If you want to teach geography to kids here, you need a Masters degree.

If you want to teach driving skills you need a license for one year.

Few people have died from incorrect or incomplete geography education...

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

All of this reminds me of when my Thai son went to a driving school just down the road in Bkk some 20 years ago.

He asked the owner if he would teach both driving skills and the rules of the road.

Response from school owner/instructor; 'I can't teach you the rules of the road because there is no such thing'. Son produced a booklet he had purchased at a mainstream book shop, with the rules / signs / situations all explained very clearly with good diagrams.

He quickly found another school which did teach him both skills and rules, and the owner was impressed with the booklet and he bought many copies of the booklet my son had and from then on gave it to all his students. 

An interesting story from 20 years ago. I first drove in Thailand in 1994. I won't comment about driving that long ago, as it isn't current and perhaps irrelevant today. That being said, the changes taking place today are steps long overdue and progress is being made, although not as fast as some would wish.

Driving here is much better organized, than back in the early-mid 90s, but the roadway death figures demand more than lip service and new paint on an old portrait.

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

So where did this Driving Instructor actually obtain his Qualifications ?

Or is he the same as any other Thai SME owner

Just have an idea and start a business, no qualifications, no money, just a get rich quick idea.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Apart from feeling sorry for them the only other thing to do is just laugh

4 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

Passing the practical exam here has ZERO relationship to driving safely! The test is a total waste of time. All these schools do is teach people to pass the useless test. The qualifications needed to teach are a joke.

If you want to teach geography to kids here, you need a Masters degree.

If you want to teach driving skills you need a license for one year.

Few people have died from incorrect or incomplete geography education...

surely riding against the flow of traffic can be put down to a place being in the wrong geographical position

5 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i kid you not, i saw a toyota camry with red L plates like they have in the uk and driving school logos on it in bkk a few weeks ago. 1st time in 20 odd years i remember seeing a driving instructor in thailand

There are a couple up here in Chiang Rai. They really like the route I take home in the evening -trundling along at 32kph following the line down the centre of the road, like a clapped out scalextric car, bless them.

They have a white sticker about 60 cm by 20cm, with red lettering on the back of the car. I presume it says "driving school" or similar, (I don't read Thai), but there again it might say "up yours mate, I'm in front of you!"

I'll ask Little Miss JAG next time I see one. If she is talking to me - I'm getting the silent treatment at the moment because I wouldn't let her spend Saturday mincing around Central Plaza with her pals!

Ha ha! Money for old rope. It doesn't get any better than this.

He forgot to mention what percentage of his profit he has to pay to those who issue the licences.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

"Believe it! 50K fine for no license will make people drive more safely".

He must be <deleted> kidding. There are innumerable drivers on the Thai roads who couldn't recognise safe driving if their lives were at stake, never mind B50,000.

Archived