Suspected CIA black site in Thailand to become tourist destination

webfact

Suspected CIA black site in Thailand to become tourist destination

By Michael Ruffles

tt.jpg

A CIA black site? Or habitat to rats?

Photo: Thai Ministry of Tourism

Not many tourist attractions promote themselves by saying “there’s nothing to see here”. But the Ramasun Camp Historical Museum in north-eastern Thailand isn’t your average destination: it’s among the locations suspected of hosting a CIA black site and secret torture prison.

Set to open as a museum on Saturday, the base started as the US Army’s 7th Radio Research Field Station in 1964 and according to the official history was used in the Vietnam war to spy on communists and control plane movements until 1976.

Unofficially and more recently, it’s one of three sites in the remote north-eastern province of Udon Thani suspected to be part of the US Central Intelligence Agency’s worldwide network of secret locations where terrorist suspects were subjected to enhanced interrogation.

Full story: https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/suspected-cia-black-site-in-thailand-to-become-tourist-destination-20180827-p5001o.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2018-2018-08-28

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did live just two killometers from the Voice of America site on the 2022 in  Udon Thani.

Military helecopters flying in at night. Screams and cries. Armed guards everywhere. Massive water bills.

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I did live just two killometers from the Voice of America site on the 2022 in  Udon Thani.

Military helecopters flying in at night. Screams and cries. Armed guards everywhere. Massive water bills.

"Massive water bills"

.  Did you contact the Water Board to find out why?

11 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"Massive water bills"

.  Did you contact the Water Board to find out why?

26 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I really hope your sleep was not disturbed..

Please give us more details including years and your general location.

We'll have someone visit you very soon.   Please  remain where you are.

31 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Was your sleep disturbed?

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Wasn't it Prawit who denied those places never existed in Thailand? Invite him for the opening to cut the the satin band at the entrance.

Was just going to say just that.   Deny, deny, deny until we can make a buck.   Can you trust anything that comes from that little troll's mouth ?   He is the concubine of fibs.

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Great idea....allow tourists to see where Thailand allowed torture by foreign agencies!

Whats the problem.?

Ever go to a Nazi death camp tour?

They are some of the most popular tourist attractions in Europe...

Maybe its a sick world but many people get off on hate, torture, death and destruction.

2 hours ago, CLW said:

This is a serious question: Are there any sites in Thailand from WW2 or the Vietnam era worth visiting?

Bridge over the river Kwai is the only one that springs to mind.   The AVG or Flying Tigers bombed Thailand extensively form China.  The RAF did too from Burma.   Sure if you read up, you might find some things. 

A friend of mine, his brother was wounded by insurgence from Lao while at the Ubon Air Force Base, back in the early 70's.  That is when his parents lost faith.  They thought he was safe in Thailand, and the fact he was wounded meant there must be many things the government was hiding at the time.  One of my bosses was there too.  A lot of bad things happened there during the war.

Archived