Air Conditioning Fan for Thailand. Save Electricity. Total SCAM!

Sound familiar? Well, stupid me. I should know better, but I finally gave in and clicked on the ad to order some fans, figuring they'd make great gifts. When they arrived, I opened one of them. The cheapest possible plastic was used to create the fan. Really felt flimsy, fragile. The instructions were pretty straightforward; fill the water reservoir and wait 2-3 minutes for the paper filters to absorb the water. It only runs on USB power, something they don't make clear in the ad. So I added water to the reservoir. After a minute or so, all of the water was running through the device onto the table and then onto the floor. It doesn't hold water, literally. I contacted the sellers using the confirmation email that they had sent me. When all 3 of the links (refund policy among them) on the email gave me an Error 404, I knew something was wrong. I received an email reply to my complaint in which I asked for their return policy and a refund. They wanted me to make a video of the problem so that they could help me. I replied that I wasn't interested in being helped other than to return the fans and get a refund, that I was thoroughly dissatisfied with everything to do with the fans. They have since refused to reply to my emails, despite many attempts to contact them. This is a scam, pure and simple. The fan is a POS that doesn't even work. I'm posting this primarily as a warning to everyone, but also in the hopes that someone might know of the relevant Thai agencies to which I can register a complaint and possibly get some help. The payment process is you send them the money via a transfer, so there is no help to be had from my bank. Or I could just go to Koh Tao...?

fan.jpg

Unfortunately, these are more of a scam than just poor product quality. They cool air by evaporating water into the airstream, so the ambient temperature drops.

However, the drop in temperature is accompanied by an increase in relative humidity. So if you have 35 C at 60% humidity, and the cooler drops the temperature to 30 C at 100% humidity, nothing is achieved in terms of personal comfort.

I've noticed they work very well in the big stores which are air-conditioned.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unfortunately, these are more of a scam than just poor product quality. They cool air by evaporating water into the airstream, so the ambient temperature drops.

However, the drop in temperature is accompanied by an increase in relative humidity. So if you have 35 C at 60% humidity, and the cooler drops the temperature to 30 C at 100% humidity, nothing is achieved in terms of personal comfort.

I've noticed they work very well in the big stores which are air-conditioned.

Perfect scam..