My name in Tabian baan?

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I'm pretty sure this is not correct.

First of all house master is the most important position in the book, as it is he who decides who can be added as residents.

Blue book is only for citizens, so even permanent residence would not enable you to be in the blue book.

As long as you are not citizen the yellow book is the only book you can be mentioned in.........as resident

not correct. Permanent residents can be put in the blue book. You only have to produce your alien registration book to do this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MW72 said:

I am in the process of doing this just now. It is taking a lot longer than expected and has been a pain in the butt. I live in the sticks so that doesn't make things easier. Here is what I have had to do so far. Could be different for different areas.

1. Visited local land office for advice. They showed me documents of 2 foreigners which showed me what was required. (Passport notarised by embassy and translation of notarised passport doc. Both then have to be stamped by ministry of foreign affairs.)

2. Emailed British embassy. Sent passport by EMS. Passport returned within the week with a document notarising my passport. 

3. Emailed a scan of my document to a translation service I used previously in Bangkok. They emailed the translation back to me.

4. Contacted MFA in Chiang Mai who insisted my docs could not be posted and that I should appear in person. 

5. Drove 160 KM to Chiang Mai, they looked at the docs and said that the translation wasn't acceptable as it was not the original. I explained that the company emailed me the scan but they said they needed the original!!! I asked if there were any translation services in Chiang Mai that they would recommend i.e. ones that knew the requirements of the MFA. I was told to Google it. Really helpful! Found a translation service nearby who did the translation in an hour. Submitted the docs and all seemed fine. About a week later I received my docs back from MFA stating the translation was not acceptable with a number of notes in Thai.

6. Drove all the way back to Chiang Mai and visited the translation service who told me they weren't quite sure what the MFA was requiring so they did 4 different formats of translation which I took to the MFA who once again rejected them. In all we went back and forth between the MFA and translation service 4 times before the translation was acceptable to them. Even then the last time they were going to reject it for some petty reason until the girlfriend complained about how far we had come and how much they were <deleted> us around. I think the guy took pity and accepted the docs and stamped them.

7. Returned to local land office with docs to be told we needed the GF's father as he is in the blue book as the head of the household even though he doesn't live there anymore and the GF has the Chanote. She has not had the blue book updated in a while. After a couple of hours of the guy typing into a PC the power cut off and he had to start over again! Eventually they finished and said they would now have to contact the bosses in Chiang Mai and get back to me.

This has taken me weeks so far and I am still not sure I will get the yellow book but I should find out shortly. Fingers crossed!

So you went to all this trouble, when the only advantage of yellow book is proof of residence. It has no other use whatsoever. There are many ways you can get proof of residence much easier

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

The procedure of having a Yellow House Book for foreigners variate in different areas. Some places it's a fairly easy maneuver at tabien ban, other places it's almost same procedure as applying for permanent residency, apart from the language test (talk from experience).

Benefits from being in the Yellow House Book is a Thai ID-number and easy proof of address for, for example Driving License or vehicle registration, opening bank accounts, extending permissin to stay in the Kingdom, etc. Furthermore you're eligible to apply for a pink ID-card for foreigners at the local amphor; however, they might not have the pink film.

?

My Yellow Book has an ID number and my Pink ID card has a different ID number. Now how much sense does that make?

CORRECTION:  I was looking at the wrong number.. Both are the same..

3 hours ago, MW72 said:

I am in the process of doing this just now. It is taking a lot longer than expected and has been a pain in the butt. I live in the sticks so that doesn't make things easier. Here is what I have had to do so far. Could be different for different areas.

1. Visited local land office for advice. They showed me documents of 2 foreigners which showed me what was required. (Passport notarised by embassy and translation of notarised passport doc. Both then have to be stamped by ministry of foreign affairs.)

2. Emailed British embassy. Sent passport by EMS. Passport returned within the week with a document notarising my passport. 

3. Emailed a scan of my document to a translation service I used previously in Bangkok. They emailed the translation back to me.

4. Contacted MFA in Chiang Mai who insisted my docs could not be posted and that I should appear in person. 

5. Drove 160 KM to Chiang Mai, they looked at the docs and said that the translation wasn't acceptable as it was not the original. I explained that the company emailed me the scan but they said they needed the original!!! I asked if there were any translation services in Chiang Mai that they would recommend i.e. ones that knew the requirements of the MFA. I was told to Google it. Really helpful! Found a translation service nearby who did the translation in an hour. Submitted the docs and all seemed fine. About a week later I received my docs back from MFA stating the translation was not acceptable with a number of notes in Thai.

6. Drove all the way back to Chiang Mai and visited the translation service who told me they weren't quite sure what the MFA was requiring so they did 4 different formats of translation which I took to the MFA who once again rejected them. In all we went back and forth between the MFA and translation service 4 times before the translation was acceptable to them. Even then the last time they were going to reject it for some petty reason until the girlfriend complained about how far we had come and how much they were <deleted> us around. I think the guy took pity and accepted the docs and stamped them.

7. Returned to local land office with docs to be told we needed the GF's father as he is in the blue book as the head of the household even though he doesn't live there anymore and the GF has the Chanote. She has not had the blue book updated in a while. After a couple of hours of the guy typing into a PC the power cut off and he had to start over again! Eventually they finished and said they would now have to contact the bosses in Chiang Mai and get back to me.

This has taken me weeks so far and I am still not sure I will get the yellow book but I should find out shortly. Fingers crossed!

I got my Yellow Book in Khon Kaen and only needed

3 Photos, my Passport, my wife with her Thai ID card and Blue Book and 2 witnesses. Done in 20 minutes.

4 hours ago, MW72 said:

My my my...I will ask at our amphoe, but if it is anything like what you describe, I'll pass...

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

3 Photos, my Passport, my wife with her Thai ID card and Blue Book and 2 witnesses. Done in 20 minutes.

Looks much easier than in Chiang Mai area...

Hopefully, in Sisaket it will be similar to Khon Kaen...

Yellow book threads always develop into posts ranging from:
“ i got mine in 10 minutes with passport only “
to
“ my Amphur put so many obstacles in the way i gave up “

The only way to find out what you need is to contact your Amphur .

p.s. i fell into the 2nd of my examples [emoji20]

Exactly like the threads about getting a bank account. Loads of people will post saying "it's so easy, I got mine in 10 minutes on a tourist visa in 1942" yet the current situation is totally different.

In Thailand, paperwork rules. Visas, tabien baans, marriages and bank accounts all need serious effort. Can't blame the Thais, I wish the UK government was as strict and maybe there wouldn't be as many spongers from third world countries living there.

I once got off the train in Leicester and it became very apparent to me that I was one of the few people on the high street not wearing a turban.

Yellow book threads always develop into posts ranging from:
“ i got mine in 10 minutes with passport only “
to
“ my Amphur put so many obstacles in the way i gave up “

The only way to find out what you need is to contact your Amphur .

p.s. i fell into the 2nd of my examples [emoji20]

unfortunate you,
usually they expect an envelope with the application papers of course!

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

In the blue book you as foreigner can only be added as "housemaster", but not as "resident" (unless you have permanent residency), but this doesn't give you any advantage. Theoretically it only has drawbacks, in reality it just doesn't matter.

A foreigner can only be added as resident to a yellow book.

The advantage of a yellow book is that for stuff like registering a vehicle or getting a drivers license (depends on your province) you don't have to get a certificate of residence from immigration, because the yellow book is proof for your address. 

The house book does not state who is the owner, only who is the "housemaster"

Very nice and accurate information. Thank you very much.

4 hours ago, MW72 said:

Wow! Thank you very much for taking time and writing this down.. It will for sure be helpful.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

In the blue book you as foreigner can only be added as "housemaster", but not as "resident" (unless you have permanent residency), but this doesn't give you any advantage. Theoretically it only has drawbacks, in reality it just doesn't matter.

A foreigner can only be added as resident to a yellow book.

The advantage of a yellow book is that for stuff like registering a vehicle or getting a drivers license (depends on your province) you don't have to get a certificate of residence from immigration, because the yellow book is proof for your address.

The house book does not state who is the owner, only who is the "housemaster"

I forgot to ask about the TM30 in this case if I have the yellow tabian ban. Do I need to report myself or is it up to the housemaster to report when I visit on tourist visa?

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Thai people have to be registered in a blue book somewhere, and they can be registered in only 1 blue book, so obviously the house master is expected to live at the address of the blue book he is registered.

Thai law says a foreigner can not be registered in a blue book in whatever function, unless he has pr status.

What you have achieved is a different story, but shouldn't be considered as the norm, because accodring to Thai law it isn't.

Sorry, but what means with PR?

5 hours ago, Captor said:

I forgot to ask about the TM30 in this case if I have the yellow tabian ban. Do I need to report myself or is it up to the housemaster to report when I visit on tourist visa?

TM30, yes.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:00 PM, Jeffrey346 said:

I wish our land office was as easy going as yours. When they showed me the requirements I thought this would be pretty straight forward. To be fair part of the delay has been down to me putting off visiting Chiang Mai until the gf was due to go there for business meetings so killing 2 birds with 1 stone. The folks at the translation service said they were having similar issues with a German fella. My dealings with the UK embassy has been the easiest part. They couldn't have been more helpful or efficient.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:47 PM, MW72 said:

I wish our land office was as easy going as yours. When they showed me the requirements I thought this would be pretty straight forward. To be fair part of the delay has been down to me putting off visiting Chiang Mai until the gf was due to go there for business meetings so killing 2 birds with 1 stone. The folks at the translation service said they were having similar issues with a German fella. My dealings with the UK embassy has been the easiest part. They couldn't have been more helpful or efficient.

I didn't get my YM at the Land Office. I got it at the Amphoe Office in the Province my house is located.

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I didn't get my YM at the Land Office. I got it at the Amphoe Office in the Province my house is located.

And the Amphoe is also the only office that can issues a tabien baan. Land office has nothing to do with this, they issues the Chanoots

9 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You more likely got it at the local tessa ban office, as that is where they make the house registrations and issue house books, at the amphor office you're eligible for having your pink ID-card for foreigners after you had your house book...?

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

You more likely got it at the local tessa ban office, as that is where they make the house registrations and issue house books, at the amphor office you're eligible for having your pink ID-card for foreigners after you had your house book...?

I got my Pink Card as well at the same office.  I need it for my Cardiologist checkup as the hospital now requires it for Government reimbursement.

The only issue, the PC does not have any information embedded. The hospital could not scan it and had to take whatever info needed manually. Only in Thailand.

On 8/29/2018 at 3:00 PM, Jeffrey346 said:

I did this in KK in July. But I also needed a proof of residency form from Immigration/police.

24 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I got my Pink Card as well at the same office.  I need it for my Cardiologist checkup as the hospital now requires it for Government reimbursement.

The only issue, the PC does not have any information embedded. The hospital could not scan it and had to take whatever info needed manually. Only in Thailand.

Same for me.  I needed it because of the hospital coverage but the card has no embedded info and no B number (for coverage). But now I have a PC and somehow the hospital presses on (and I always still bring my passport).

43 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Plus there is criticism of the pink card:

- Name is written in Thai script only, not Thai and English as shown on normal Thai ID cards.

- Card does not specifically mention PR.

- On back of card it says holder cannot travel more than 30 kilometers (30?) away from the card issuing location). In reality there are no restrictions on where PT holders can travel in Thailand. 

7 hours ago, avvocato said:

Same for me.  I needed it because of the hospital coverage but the card has no embedded info and no B number (for coverage). But now I have a PC and somehow the hospital presses on (and I always still bring my passport).

What do you mean by a B number. When I was at the hospital yesterday, all they required was the 13 digit number at the top of the card.

On 8/29/2018 at 11:53 AM, MW72 said:

Your going to the Land Office and they do not issue Yellow Books.  I got my YB at the Amphoe Office in the Province my house is located. I only needed 3 photos, my wife with her Blue Book and ID Card and 3 witnesses. 

Archived