My name in Tabian baan?

Hi

We, my girlfriend and me, have bought a townhome in BKK. She has a hair salon in the first floor. She is the owner in the tabian baan. Now my gf says that it is maybe an advantage for me if I am mentioned in the tabian baan as well.

And that we should arrange this. So, now I am wondering here in TV if there are any advantages in that?

I am planning to move to Thailand in 3-4 years when I retire. Is there any advantage in Visa questions for example? Or others?

Thanks

Captor

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I see, thanks. So it has to be a yellow book for me. Does that mean there will be 2 books? One blue for my gf and one yellow for me? Or will we both be in a yellow book?

Maybe I can find information in the forum about that too.

This is an interesting subject, our house is in my wifes name and she claims to have added my name to the blue book as a "Person of interest" for want of a better term.

I have always been under the impression that it wasn't possible.

1 hour ago, Pungdo said:

This is an interesting subject, our house is in my wifes name and she claims to have added my name to the blue book as a "Person of interest" for want of a better term.

I have always been under the impression that it wasn't possible.

In the blue book you as foreigner can only be added as "housemaster", but not as "resident" (unless you have permanent residency), but this doesn't give you any advantage. Theoretically it only has drawbacks, in reality it just doesn't matter.

A foreigner can only be added as resident to a yellow book.

The advantage of a yellow book is that for stuff like registering a vehicle or getting a drivers license (depends on your province) you don't have to get a certificate of residence from immigration, because the yellow book is proof for your address.

19 hours ago, Captor said:

She is the owner in the tabian baan

The house book does not state who is the owner, only who is the "housemaster"

34 minutes ago, jackdd said:

In the blue book you as foreigner can only be added as "housemaster", but not as "resident" (unless you have permanent residency), but this doesn't give you any advantage. Theoretically it only has drawbacks, in reality it just doesn't matter.

A foreigner can only be added as resident to a yellow book.

The advantage of a yellow book is that for stuff like registering a vehicle or getting a drivers license (depends on your province) you don't have to get a certificate of residence from immigration, because the yellow book is proof for your address

Thanks for the info.

So, how do you get a yellow book?

What is the procedure?

19 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

As a westerner you cannot be added to the blue book but you can register for a yellow book, which is the farang version of the tabien baan

I have a blue book for family and it shows my first name only.   

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Thanks for the info.

What is the procedure?

As with many things in Thailand, the procedure and required documents will vary from provice to province. Your safest bet is to ask your wife to call at the amphoe office where she got her blue house book and ask them what is required to get a yellow book to register you in it. In general it will be something like that you and the person who is housmaster in the blue book go to the amphoe together, provide some id card and passport copies, maybe a photo, fill out some forms, and then you get the yellow book.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Thanks for the info.

What is the procedure?

I am in the process of doing this just now. It is taking a lot longer than expected and has been a pain in the butt. I live in the sticks so that doesn't make things easier. Here is what I have had to do so far. Could be different for different areas.

1. Visited local land office for advice. They showed me documents of 2 foreigners which showed me what was required. (Passport notarised by embassy and translation of notarised passport doc. Both then have to be stamped by ministry of foreign affairs.)

2. Emailed British embassy. Sent passport by EMS. Passport returned within the week with a document notarising my passport. 

3. Emailed a scan of my document to a translation service I used previously in Bangkok. They emailed the translation back to me.

4. Contacted MFA in Chiang Mai who insisted my docs could not be posted and that I should appear in person. 

5. Drove 160 KM to Chiang Mai, they looked at the docs and said that the translation wasn't acceptable as it was not the original. I explained that the company emailed me the scan but they said they needed the original!!! I asked if there were any translation services in Chiang Mai that they would recommend i.e. ones that knew the requirements of the MFA. I was told to Google it. Really helpful! Found a translation service nearby who did the translation in an hour. Submitted the docs and all seemed fine. About a week later I received my docs back from MFA stating the translation was not acceptable with a number of notes in Thai.

6. Drove all the way back to Chiang Mai and visited the translation service who told me they weren't quite sure what the MFA was requiring so they did 4 different formats of translation which I took to the MFA who once again rejected them. In all we went back and forth between the MFA and translation service 4 times before the translation was acceptable to them. Even then the last time they were going to reject it for some petty reason until the girlfriend complained about how far we had come and how much they were <deleted> us around. I think the guy took pity and accepted the docs and stamped them.

7. Returned to local land office with docs to be told we needed the GF's father as he is in the blue book as the head of the household even though he doesn't live there anymore and the GF has the Chanote. She has not had the blue book updated in a while. After a couple of hours of the guy typing into a PC the power cut off and he had to start over again! Eventually they finished and said they would now have to contact the bosses in Chiang Mai and get back to me.

This has taken me weeks so far and I am still not sure I will get the yellow book but I should find out shortly. Fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

In the blue book you as foreigner can only be added as "housemaster", but not as "resident" (unless you have permanent residency),

I'm pretty sure this is not correct.

First of all house master is the most important position in the book, as it is he who decides who can be added as residents.

Blue book is only for citizens, so even permanent residence would not enable you to be in the blue book.

As long as you are not citizen the yellow book is the only book you can be mentioned in.........as resident

The procedure of having a Yellow House Book for foreigners variate in different areas. Some places it's a fairly easy maneuver at tabien ban, other places it's almost same procedure as applying for permanent residency, apart from the language test (talk from experience).

Benefits from being in the Yellow House Book is a Thai ID-number and easy proof of address for, for example Driving License or vehicle registration, opening bank accounts, extending permissin to stay in the Kingdom, etc. Furthermore you're eligible to apply for a pink ID-card for foreigners at the local amphor; however, they might not have the pink film.

?

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:
  2 hours ago, jackdd said:

In the blue book you as foreigner can only be added as "housemaster", but not as "resident" (unless you have permanent residency),

First of all house master is the most important position in the book, as it is he who decides who can be added as residents.

Blue book is only for citizens, so even permanent residence would not enable you to be in the blue book.

As long as you are not citizen the yellow book is the only book you can be mentioned in.........as resident

I'm a foreigner, and I'm House Master – no one can be added to the Blue House Book without my approval – I'm however registered in the Yellow House Book for foreigners...?

5 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

It's weird to hear that you are the housemaster, but then I've been in Thailand long enough to know that every rule can be bent in the right situation, so not too surprised!

Which rule should be bent?

The rule is that a foreigner can not be resident in a blue house book unless he has PR

There is no rule about a foreigner being Housemaster

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Which rule should be bent?

The rule is that a foreigner can not be resident in a blue house book unless he has PR

There is no rule about a foreigner being Housemaster

A house master obviously has a higher status than a resident.

Hang on then. So I can become the housemaster in my wife's tabien baan, but I can't be a resident? Is that what you are saying because I was always told that my name cannot be put in the blue one whilst I am considered to be an alien?

25 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

A Permanent resident not only can, but in fact must, have their name listed in a TR14  (blue) Tabien Baan. Not doing so is grounds for losing PR.

A PR can also be listed as Jao Baan or Housemaster in the TR14. As far as I know, a foreigner without PR cannot be listed as either Housemaster or resident in a TR14 but can be listed as a resident in a TR13 (yellow).

I think there is some confusion about this because if a (non-PR) foreigner is the owner of a property they can decide who will become the Housemaster even though they themselves cannot have that position. After that, it is the Housemaster that decides who will be listed as a resident in that TR14 (blue) or TR13 (yellow) if one is issued.  

2 minutes ago, thedemon said:

A Permanent resident not only can, but in fact must, have their name listed in a TR14  (blue) Tabien Baan. Not doing so is grounds for losing PR.

A PR can also be listed as Jao Baan or Housemaster in the TR14. As far as I know, a foreigner without PR cannot be listed as either Housemaster or resident in a TR14 but can be listed as a resident in a TR13 (yellow).

I think there is some confusion about this because if a (non-PR) foreigner is the owner of a property they can decide who will become the Housemaster even though they themselves cannot have that position. After that, it is the Housemaster that decides who will be listed as a resident in that TR14 (blue) or TR13 (yellow) if one is issued.  

That makes sense.

6 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Thanks for correcting me, and i just found online what you confirm, and which also says that a foreigner can NOT be added to the blue book.

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/property/thai-house-book-yellow-and-blue.html

image.png.add54b952333a49b59c5517dd80e867a.png

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/article-older-archive/thai-house-registration-and-resident-book

The blue or yellow tabien baan is not an important document for foreigners and most foreigners owning a condominium or a house (separate from the land) will have a (empty) blue house registration book and not a yellow book. The legal value for foreigners is very limited and generally there is no need or requirement to exchange a blue tabien baan for a yellow tabien baan.

41 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Not quite correct, I have PR, my adult Thai son is shown as the 'housemaster' in the blue Tabien Baan book, his Thai wife and kids and me all listed after son's name.

Above is for current abode and had the exact same (all blue book) for 2 previous abodes.

59 minutes ago, MW72 said:

After a couple of hours of the guy typing into a PC the power cut off and he had to start over again! Eventually they finished and said they would now have to contact the bosses in Chiang Mai and get back to me.

This has taken me weeks so far and I am still not sure I will get the yellow book but I should find out shortly. Fingers crossed!

LoL   Thailand  4.0   Hub of totally unnecessary bureaucratic runaround and paperwork  !!!!!

29 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

A house master obviously has a higher status than a resident.

A house master and a resident are obviously two different things, and there is no "higher status"

The house master does not have to live at the house himself, it just says he is the person who has power over the house. People who are listed as residents are the ones who are living there (of course usually the house master is also listed as a resident, but afaik he does not have to be)

So if you are only listed in a blue book as house master this does not help you anything when you have to prove your address, for this purpose you would have to be listed as resident, for which you as a foreigner (except PR) need a yellow book

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A house master and a resident are obviously two different things, and there is no "higher status"

The house master does not have to live at the house himself, it just says he is the person who has power over the house. People who are listed as residents are the ones who are living there (of course usually the house master is also listed as a resident, but afaik he does not have to be)

So if you are only listed in a blue book as house master this does not help you anything when you have to prove your address, for this purpose you would have to be listed as resident, for which you as a foreigner (except PR) need a yellow book

Thai people have to be registered in a blue book somewhere, and they can be registered in only 1 blue book, so obviously the house master is expected to live at the address of the blue book he is registered.

Thai law says a foreigner can not be registered in a blue book in whatever function, unless he has pr status.

What you have achieved is a different story, but shouldn't be considered as the norm, because accodring to Thai law it isn't.

Archived