steel bending ideas?

eyecatcher

Just looking ahead to my days when I will be in the garden instead of on the house.

considering methods of how to bend steel, rebar, tube to create a barrel topped pergola/arbour.

So for a walkway 2m wide we are talking how to bend a 1m radius.

I have seen elsewhere what ppears to be simply some 6 ot 9mm rebar in one piece and concreted both ends, and a few runners to hold it up, I have also seen a regular square shs section stanchions and then the rebar bent into the top of the shs.

How to create a large bend?

pergola arbour.jpg

Put stakes in the ground and form the radius you want with the steel rebar flat to the floor, tie wire the straight ends when they are set in place so they dont spring back open.

Steel of that size is relatively flexible and easy to bend by hand.....

Tubing on the other hand requires proper tooling..

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Have you thought about using PVC Pipe?...instead of Rebar. It doesnt rust like Rebar from continuous watering of the plants you are going to grow over them...It's a hell of a lot easier to make and you would build something like your photo in a day at the most. Use 2x1x6mtrs battens  for the spacers for the hoops....You need nothing to bend say 1" PVC pipe to that size....Just drive pegs in the ground where you want either side the footpath and bend it over from one peg to the other...

White Elec conduit looks good used like this....easy to erect easy to pull down...and will hold the same weight as your rebar....and you wont have to paint it....

I did try the yellow electric conduit that I have 15mm stuff but not to consider it as a main structure as quite rightly its simply not robust enough and it will suffer solar degradation within a year.

The conduit I was looking at using it as a pipe bender actually, thread some rebar up it and then bend it round to two locator points.

But.....although I suspect that would work, it creates another problem, that of how to get the rebar back out without cutting the conduit in half?

5 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I did try the yellow electric conduit that I have 15mm stuff but not to consider it as a main structure as quite rightly its simply not robust enough and it will suffer solar degradation within a year.

The conduit I was looking at using it as a pipe bender actually, thread some rebar up it and then bend it round to two locator points.

But.....although I suspect that would work, it creates another problem, that of how to get the rebar back out without cutting the conduit in half?

I take both your's and Arjens points, and probably here wouldnt work for long like most things....

Have you a tree with a forked section, Place the rebar in the fork and bend it to circle you can draw on the Garage floor to the size you want....

Good luck and let us all know how you fixed the problem....

rgds

weegee

1 hour ago, Mickmick said:

The priciple is straightfoward but I bet the writer didnt make it.

not easy to bend 12mm by hand and then to suggest using a hacksaw. I reckon it would support a brick arch let alone some climbing roses.

if you want to bend half inch rebar you one piece of 4ft X 8ft  5/8  inch  thick plywood  . 

Put a nail half way on one of the 8 ft  sides. this would give you a 4 ft max radius if you want larger you need to splice two pieces of plywood together.

image.png.82046cb5e95b18d589f480213d08bc0e.png

Tie a string on the nail to the desired radius and draw and arc. if you are not comfortable with the string , nail a strip of  plywood and use it to draw your arc.

image.png.8c0df437bc10a81e5af7511b355639da.png

with a jigsaw cut the arc

image.png.9588d52320fd529be52bd9f942a2a3cf.png

from the remaining plywood cut a bunch of nailers 6x6 inches and screw them on both sides of the plywood creating a grove for the rebar

image.png.a784a798ecd40439676242c9a4bdb006.png

If I was doing it I would have cut two additional arcs and sandwich the smaller arc in between them but I dont want to confuse you and also keep it simple.

Then screw a small piece of plywood between your nailers to hold your rebar

image.png.8fab0dbcef32f2788f182e09d472dfaf.png

place your rebar end in the rebar holder  and bend following the arc to create identical rebar radiouses . 

Please excuse my drawings I did not have a lot of time to do them.

Good luck. post an update after you make them,.

Archived