Computer battery question

RickG16

OK this is pretty weird. Just bought a new battery and charger (both genuine) for my Samsung laptop. It was charging up fine, it got to 100% so I took it off the charger and went to sit on the sofa with the laptop. After about an hour it was under 50%, but then without warning the laptop powered off (no pop up to say that the laptop was under 10% etc). When I plugged it back in the batter was down to 2%. Now it is charging again.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Some "broken" batteries react like that.

Time to visit that dealer again...

I am not sure if the following applies also to spare parts. But with computers (notebooks) there seems to be a regulation or law in Thailand that within a week or 10 days you can give it back and you will receive right away a replacement.

Important for this is that you return everything you bought including the box etc.

After that time you can claim it on warranty but that takes often a week or longer.

To get an idea of the battery condition, open a command prompt and type the following;

powercfg /batteryreport

Then press enter. That will create a file named battery-report.html. Open that file and you can see the actual capacity of the battery vs the designed capacity and the number of charge cycles the battery has had in its lifetime.

image.png.6df7e5529539715224d13bd78bf390b8.png

45 minutes ago, thedemon said:

To get an idea of the battery condition, open a command prompt and type the following;

powercfg /batteryreport

Then press enter. That will create a file named battery-report.html. Open that file and you can see the actual capacity of the battery vs the designed capacity and the number of charge cycles the battery has had in its lifetime.

image.png.6df7e5529539715224d13bd78bf390b8.png

Interesting, but I wouldn't bet that that information is correct.

"Batteries" are these days a combination of the actual battery cells and electronic.

If only the cells are changed then likely this would produce incorrect information.