Best small bike for commute

kurthnase

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

All that sounds nice but how about having some fun? Personally I like some power and I like to change gears and drive on a real bike with clutch and all that. And does it really matter if it uses 3l or 4l per 100km? It's still cheap.

I would hate it if I knew I would have to ride 20km everyday on a boring bike. But I would look forward to ride a fun bike especially after work.

Even on the greatest bike I cannot see any fun riding through Bangkok's traffic in the morning and evening rush hour.

Nobody has mentioned the Kawasaki KLX 150cc. It's a bit higher and better than any scooter on flooded streets.

The guy riding outside of BKK, he don't need bicycle-sized mopeds to navigate busy traffic.  

Smallest I could think of is nmax or aerox, pcx for highway use. Those smaller bikes aint made for the highways, nor for speed. 

Looking for fun? Should be at least 250cc for starters. 

1 hour ago, cucme said:

Yamaha Nmax. Many dealers have them with 5000 km and 20.000 Baht off the price of a new one. You will love it,a s I do ?

BIG size bike, small engine = bathtub.

You must be one of those guys who are waiting behind the cars looking at the smaller bikes zipping by.

But at least you have a comfortable seat while you sit and watch.

traffic.jpg.6632a70de7a62888caccf9f610b2cbbd.jpg

Or a Click - should be able to pick one up for around 10-15k Bt, with 20-25k km, and should easily manage 100,000 km provided you keep up the oil changes.

OK, so it's not "fun" but they're easy.
I have a click and I'd say its fun, usually the fastest away at traffic lights, easily keeps up with any traffic. Manual gears are over rated. People think that means fun

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
22 hours ago, steve73 said:
Or a Click - should be able to pick one up for around 10-15k Bt, with 20-25k km, and should easily manage 100,000 km provided you keep up the oil changes.

OK, so it's not "fun" but they're easy.

I have a click and I'd say its fun, usually the fastest away at traffic lights, easily keeps up with any traffic. Manual gears are over rated. People think that means fun

Agree (and I also have one)... but you can't (usually) pop a wheelie on a click..

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's the difference between a disc lock and a padlock on the disc? Pros can probably break both

padlock easy to cut,  as the disc lock is flush can't use cutters.  the thing is,  if you have a disc lock the thieve will more than likely take the bike next to yours that didn't have one... Unless of course you have an exotic bike. 

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

padlock easy to cut,  as the disc lock is flush can't use cutters.  the thing is,  if you have a disc lock the thieve will more than likely take the bike next to yours that didn't have one... Unless of course you have an exotic bike. 

It seems exotic bikes don't get stolen in Thailand.

It seems the thieves want cheap parts which are easy to see to a mass market.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

BIG size bike, small engine = bathtub.

You must be one of those guys who are waiting behind the cars looking at the smaller bikes zipping by.

But at least you have a comfortable seat while you sit and watch.

traffic.jpg.6632a70de7a62888caccf9f610b2cbbd.jpg

nmax big? the reason i didn't get one is i think it is still a little too small..

nmax stuck in traffic unlike a Raider 150 for example? LOL

on topic: The OP said he won't be riding in heavy traffic, there is no need for him to buy a toy-sized moped. 

On 9/2/2018 at 7:46 PM, scubascuba3 said:

He won't need a bigger bike unless it helps him feel more macho

there lots of other reasons to buy a bigger-sized bike aside from your insecurities..

I won't ride a much lighter Honda  wave (for example) on my usual 30kms travel to work everyday..I'm too chicken to try and play hide and seek with the big trucks on the highway with a small bike..

A trip to the 7-11 outside of our soi, the wave will be perfect however..

Diff purpose of diff bikes, imho..

On 9/2/2018 at 7:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I know sometimes it's difficult to accept the truth.

But just look at both bikes and you should see the enormous difference.

your claimed truth is actually just your opinion, but i can respect that..

for me, there is not much difference...maybe a few inches..which doesn't matter..i'd rather have the nmax's twist and go advantage than the Raider 150's manual clutch in traffic..

I didn't see a lot of nmax and pcx stuck in traffic as you claimed, we seem to fit where the smaller bikes fit almost 90% of time...the 10% that we cant, are usually spaces too small that smaller bikes without side mirrors are the only ones that can pass..

but then again, this is also just my opinion (not the truth)

If you only want to buy one bike , a Filano , Aerox or N-Max are great. There isnt one bike that can do it all perfectly , so one must compromise according to budget and intended use. I dont think there are many instances where a narrow bike such as a Exciter cant follow a R3.

I won't ride a much lighter Honda  wave (for example) on my usual 30kms travel to work everyday..I'm too chicken to try and play hide and seek with the big trucks on the highway with a small bike..

I just did 30km on my Click and easy enough power to go past trucks at will. I'm usually the first away at lights. No need for a bigger bike on such a short journey but justify it to yourself if you like

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just did 30km on my Click and easy enough power to go past trucks at will. I'm usually the first away at lights. No need for a bigger bike on such a short journey but justify it to yourself if you like

I don't have a bigger bike too, I'm only using a PCX.  All I'm saying is, diff bikes served diff purpose. I won't dare using a click on my 30 kms drive outside Bangkok, I just don't feel safe with its lighter overall weight on open roads.Nor am i trying to race against trucks and beating them at the intersection. I would love to use a click instead  on a trip to the 7-11 outside my soi or navigating Sukumvit during rush hours, or even during a quick run to the nearest night market though. I am only sharing my thoughts based on my experience. 

Archived