Which internet package do I need for my condo?

notasmartassknowitallfarag

It depends what you want it for.

All will stream reasonably high quality TV & the limiting factor is usually the source of the stream so more speed won't always help.  Why don't you try the lowest one & if you're not happy, they'll always let you upgrade to a more expensive option.

A better question might be which provider to go with as their performance varies depending on which are you're living in.

FWIW I've gone with one I've never heard (Sorry, I can't even remember the name, but I'll be flying over this evening so can post it later if you're interested) as it was recommended to me by the lady who works in the Condo management office, my friend stays in the same Condo complex & has True which he's not happy with at all, other options were AIS & this one so we'll see. 

Unless you're really on a tight budget I'd go for the 899 option, twice as fast as the 799 option.

Remember, these speeds are maximums in-country, international speeds can be rather (a lot) lower. 

Which provider is this, are you limited by the condo management as to who you can use?

As others have said, most Condo block are limited to whatever company has run cables in (often ADSL not fibre), Also depends on your usage and even then all the cabled in options are very similar in prices and service etc.

A bit of streaming and some websites, the base package/speed will be fine. The good thing about Thailand is all the wired in options are unlimited data.

1 minute ago, suzannegoh said:

Sonething is not right there, are those results from AIS's 1Mbps SIMM rather than from 30/10 Fibre?

It is a prepaid 30 Mbps AIS Fibre contract for around 600THB/month.

Sometimes I have good downloads up to 50Mbps, but the cases that the connectivity is bad to the bone do increase. Yesterday their Bangkok server did not even ping for like six hours. And the problem is always with their Bangkok server. I ask AIS fibre, if they have a redundant system. No answer. Written complaints: they give you the  number 1175 waiting and listening to stupid music line. AIS tries to blame it on the customer (Did you reboot your router/PC). They even send their staff to check your router on the next day. But by then the connectivity is back up. If I would know which provider in Thailand can offer a halfway stable connection I would switch on the spot.

5 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Sometimes I have good downloads up to 50Mbps, but the cases that the connectivity is bad to the bone do increase. Yesterday their Bangkok server did not even ping for like six hours. And the problem is always with their Bangkok server. I ask AIS fibre, if they have a redundant system. No answer. Written complaints: they give you the  number 1175 waiting and listening to stupid music line. AIS tries to blame it on the customer (Did you reboot your router/PC). They even send their staff to check your router on the next day. But by then the connectivity is back up. If I would know which provider in Thailand can offer a halfway stable connection I would switch on the spot.

That's strange, our service from AIS has been brilliant, and consistent. Almost always we get the full advertised speed not only to Bangkok but also to Singapore and KL.

8 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

That sounds more like a problem with their test server rather than a broader internet connectivity problem. Next time it happens ping another server and its probably fine. No connectivity would be your DSL/internet lights going off on your modem.

2 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

That's strange, our service from AIS has been brilliant, and consistent. Almost always we get the full advertised speed not only to Bangkok but also to Singapore and KL.

...try Hat Yai! AIS used to run a server in neighboring Songkhla, but not any more. And I do not know if that is the reason.

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As others have said, most Condo block are limited to whatever company has run cables in (often ADSL not fibre), Also depends on your usage and even then all the cabled in options are very similar in prices and service etc.

A bit of streaming and some websites, the base package/speed will be fine. The good thing about Thailand is all the wired in options are unlimited data.

Do most Condo Service Providers allow you to pay month by month?  And leave off for months at a time?  Thanks for any info.

8 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

...try Hat Yai! AIS used to run a server in neighboring Songkhla, but not any more. And I do not know if that is the reason.

Do you mean that you live in Hat Yai or that I should try testing AIS's speeds to Hat Yai?  Below are the results of the latter, tested from Chaing Mai to Hat Yai with AIS's 200/50 Fibre package.  The ping time is a little slow but aside from that the results are pretty typical of what we get.

Untitled-2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

That sounds more like a problem with their test server rather than a broader internet connectivity problem. Next time it happens ping another server and its probably fine. No connectivity would be your DSL/internet lights going off on your modem.

I did all that, sure I have internet, but look at the speeds.  Attached a file from march, a time, when the Songkhla server was still in place. Believe me, I am tired of this bullshit.

Besides, I had to setup my own outgoing mail server, as AIS cannot provide me with such a server using a clean IP,  an IP which is not blacklisted as spam related, which means half of my mail is being rejected by the incoming servers abroad (Telekom, AOL, Web.de, GMX and more).

connectivityAIS.JPG

Just now, RoadWarrior371 said:

Do most Condo Service Providers allow you to pay month by month?  And leave off for months at a time?  Thanks for any info.

Im with TOT and month by month is the only option for westerners, they wont do post paid contracts. And you can leave it unpaid for a couple of months then fire it back up again.

3 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Do you mean that you live in Hat Yai or that I should try testing AIS's speeds to Hat Yai?  Below are the results of the latter, tested from Chaing Mai to Hat Yai with AIS's 200/50 Fibre package.  The ping time is a little slow but aside from that the results are pretty typical of what we get.

Untitled-2.jpg

Congratulations!

I have a TOT internet connection via a small aerial on my house.  I have their lowest package 480 Baht a month, and I stream Netflix all the time.  We even have three other devices streaming at the same time and we rarely have a problem.  Okay, the major mast is on a hill about 2 kls away and in direct line of sight but still an excellent service . 

53 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Im with TOT and month by month is the only option for westerners, they wont do post paid contracts. And you can leave it unpaid for a couple of months then fire it back up again.

Thanks, I am a lowly westerner.

We live in the outskirts of Bangkok in our own house. 

My experience if you want to watch HD and UHD streamed TV you need a 100 Mbs,  others seems to have other experiences. It's big difference between the ISP's. First we had True fiber 50/20 and the performance were very bad, especially outside Thailand. Bought AIS 50/30 and got much better speed, but I was not 100% satisfied since the speed sometimes went down to 10 Mps download and then up again and down. Since bandwith needed for TV is a stable connection around 30 Mbps I decided to upgrade to 100/30 Mbps which allows a bit fluctuation, but never goes under 30 Mbps. 

I have tested Bangkok-Stockholm and got 102 / 31 and more.

I have been told that 3BB also has good performance when going abroad.

1 hour ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

i think so...at my condo--i pay 590 thb for 30 days ,speed 10/512mbps for 3 devices...i just buy as required,if ive been elsewhere...it works well for me....     SAB  solutions

In theory 30 Mbps should be enough (200 is way overkilling). I wanted to be sure and got 50 Mbps with AIS. A lot of your ability depend on the box you use (2Gb memory is better than 1Gb), on the quality of the stream (SD, HD, Full HD). 50 Mbps gives you Full HD, on the traffic at source and also on the general traffic in your condo. 

In other words, if there is a bottleneck anywhere between the source and the destination it will limit the quality of streaming, which means you can have 200 or 200000 Mbs but if your box is not capable of holding it it's a waste. The bottom two are ok.

Ask at your condo.  AIS was my choice..then they said it was full...then I signed up for True, with mostly free stuff..they showed up early, and told me I had to pay 2400 for a new line...told them to get out.  Then I discovered DOTS SOLUTIONS..599, get 50/20, and free TV, including Fox News and Channel New Asia..and 20 Thai channels.  Paid 500 refundable deposit at install.  

About a week later, AIS had set up a table in my office..so yes, it is a minefield out there.  Also check 3BB and even SiNet.  Just refuse to pay more than 5-700 up front...+first month.  

It's a good conundrum to have when even the most expensive package is $33/month. We started out with a 50/10 package that AIS later upgraded to 100/20 without asking for more money. That upgrade seemed to have improved streaming marginally though I don't know why. Later we upgraded to a 200/50 package for about 100 baht/month more, and while it's cool how fast you can download files with that I wouldn't say that it has improved our quality of life.

This is with True. I heard all the horror stories about this company but coming from the lady at the front desk, she says it’s fine. 

I think this means True have the ‘monopoly’ on this condo? Or maybe I can shop around and ask at stores...( any idea which mall has the majority ) 

I’m living right beside a BTS station. 

Looking for only internet for netflix etc and I am living alone.  

13 minutes ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

This is with True. I heard all the horror stories but this is coming from the lady at the front desk. 

I think this means True have the ‘monopoly’ on this condo? I’m living right beside a BTS station. 

Lookong for only internet for netflix etc and I am living alone.  

It's quite possible that True effectively has a monopoly there.  Often the management of condos and apartments will choose an ISP and let them wire up the whole building.

23 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Just me in the condo, 30 sq metre condo. I was hoping one of the lower ones might do. I have no clue about what mbps are needed. 

The lowest will be more than enough. I had the lowest AIS fibre package 15/5, for a similar size condo unit, never a problem. Subsequently got upgraded for free to 30/10 as they rolled out the higher speed packages, but the package was fine from day one. 

Archived