Update on new Mazda CX-5

BBJ

A couple of months ago we bought a CX-5 which was replaced with a brand new motor a week later after finding a few faults.  This is the wife's car so I don't get to drive as I have my own motor.  However, while my wife was working away for a few days I used her car and noticed immediately banging and clanging from the front-end.  I pulled over and checked underneath and noticed the plastic sump and engine guard was flapping around, but the noise was metallic.  The sound was similar to a track-rod end clanging around.  The slightest bump over a speed hump, for instance, would produce this loud knock.  

Anyway, off we go to Mazda having booked in and the engineer seemed to know immediately what it was.  The translation I got was replacing a rubber, I presume a rubber mount and tightening a nut.

While I am at it, I find the motor uncomfortable to ride.  Nowhere to rest your arms as a passenger as everything is shaped in a way that it applies pressure point, and the steering is shaped like you're holding onto a shinbone applying pressure to your hands.  Despite the lack of dealers, my KIA carnival wins hands down in every aspect.

Whaooo, glad i did not purchase this cx5, thanks for your report, which model is it that your wife drive ?

Kia is surely a very good brand in car making, the Carnival is a great vehicule with no bad surprises.

I actually enjoy very much driving the Toyota CH-R with hybrid engine, luxury interior ans real comfort on the road with still some fun if you want to.

She bought the top spec diesel.

CH-R was my first consideration but the wife was put off by the rear visability.

I guess considering after one day it was spewing water out, rusty hub caps and a dirty interior, and the new replacement having this noise, the CH-R was probably a better option.

The suspension noise seems a common issue.

42 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Did you buy it new? Do you have the paperwork from when they replaced the motor?

Yes, it was brand new and left the showroom with a few faults.  We demanded the car be changed and it was and we held on to the first CX-5 until a new one was delivered from the factory.

When I say motor, a new car was replaced, not just the engine. To be clear.

You must be wrong ! Someone on this forum who drove BMW suddenly changed for Mazda Mx5 and said that it is as good ! hahahaha ?

He should maybe also tell us what made him change from a great German car to cheap crap Jap car ?

11 hours ago, gaff said:

You must be wrong ! Someone on this forum who drove BMW suddenly changed for Mazda Mx5 and said that it is as good ! hahahaha ?

He should maybe also tell us what made him change from a great German car to cheap crap Jap car ?

All boils down to personal experience.  This is our second Mazda. Ultimately the wife likes it and she bought it with her own cash.  She was also going for a BMW originally but I was the one that suggested not to.  Good car but way overpriced.

Comfort I am comparing to the KIA and the Accord we just let go.  The Accord we traded for the MX-5.  The CX-5 is nowhere near as comfortable as either.  But that is my opinion.

Why be so Unpleasant. Ive had M5s for 4 years now.I will go back to a Crap Jap Accord or Toyo because they simply are not crap.!. In fact the ride in a Teana is better on Thai roads than mine.. Nothing wrong with either, only thing wrong is German Cars live off Myths of yesterdays build quality.

6 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Why be so Unpleasant. Ive had M5s for 4 years now.I will go back to a Crap Jap Accord or Toyo because they simply are not crap.!. In fact the ride in a Teana is better on Thai roads than mine.. Nothing wrong with either, only thing wrong is German Cars live off Myths of yesterdays build quality.

Who is being unpleasant?

18 hours ago, gaff said:

That might have been me... BMW X5 and now a Mazda CX-5..... 

I find the CX-5 a little too small for my liking, but it would feel small coming from the BMW X5... Other than that I've found it to be an excellent car... Trouble free for 6 months, no issues with comfort although it would be good if the seat went back another 2cm. 

The reason for change...  it was either... another

BMW X5 (a close call - but ultimately very expensive at 4.6 MB)

BMW X3 (too small for the price)

Merc ML250 (a bit too old-fashioned and slow)
Lexus NX300t (awful interior)

Lexus RX200t (looks a bit too funky)

Honda CRV (not overly impressed)

Ford Explorer 3.2 (Impressed, although it felt like an oversized barge driving down Sukhumvit rd I was very tempted - shocking showroom experience, walked out)

Stopped off at a Mazda showroom and was immediately impressed with the quality of the interior, I also liked the styling, excellent Bose sound system, heads up display and loads of tech.... Took a test drive - while it was not as powerful as I liked it had enough grunt. It wasn't a tough decision in the end, a week later we took delivery of the CX-5 XDL model... 

Thus it was a payoff between another BMW X5 at 4.6MB or go for something smaller and cheaper with the CX-5 at 1.75MB....   Over 3 years the X5 would depreciate at the value of the CX-5 (i.e. the BMW would depreciate by about 1.75 MB over 3 years)... it was this which swung the final decision to go to 'Jap Crap' from the 'German Great'  - Economics and the fact that there really isn't much difference in quality at all (in my opinion, of course. The Op clearly differs in his opinion). 

Just returned from a 500km plus day trip to Suan and Phueng I have to admit I was impressed with the drive.   Carving through the mountains and hills was great and the ride was really fantastic.  

I agree with the above regarding the interior quality and assuming the niggles have been ironed out then it will be a solid car.

CX-5.jpg

DJI_0215.JPG

DJI_0245.JPG

SnapShot.jpg

Archived