Battery Mazda CX3, only 16 months

Neeranam

My car is only 16 months old and the i-stop light is flashing, which suggests a new battery. I don't use this anyway.

Would it be OK to leave it until the battery goes flatter?

Does anyone know the average time for a "mazda" battery?

I looked in a Thai forum and one guy suggested changing it every 1.5 years!

Probably a silly question, but would driving with the auto day lights off lengthen the battery life?

Auto lights won't do anything to battery life.

What color is the i-stop light flashing? If you don't use it anyways, no issue with continuing to drive it. However, change it quickly if you notice it cranks slowly when you first try to start it in the morning, they die pretty quickly after that point and it could leave you stranded.

On my CX5, the original battery only lasted 1.5yr - it only made it one more month after the i-Stop started flashing, and it cranked noticably slower on morning startup.

Mine lasted about 5 years (Mazda 2).

For a frequently used car/battery this seems OK in Thailand.

The battery on the old car (Toyota) lasted much longer but this car was used quite rarely (70000 km in 13 years).

As soon as the cranking slows down as already suggested it is best to look for a replacement. Battery longevity here seems to be a hit and miss with many differing opinions.
For me short journeys and the heat seem to kill them off pretty quick..... I have wondered if a bonnet intake would help my pick up for heat dispersion...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

As soon as the cranking slows down as already suggested it is best to look for a replacement. Battery longevity here seems to be a hit and miss with many differing opinions.
For me short journeys and the heat seem to kill them off pretty quick..... I have wondered if a bonnet intake would help my pick up for heat dispersion...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Though folk here chuckle, l lift the hood on my truck when I get home as my first two  L/acid batteries lasted two years . My third L/acid lasted three years and four months lifting the hood.

29 minutes ago, transam said:

Though folk here chuckle, l lift the hood on my truck when I get home as my first two  L/acid batteries lasted two years . My third L/acid lasted three years and four months lifting the hood.

I also do the same, but I have never got more than 17 months on a Toyo battery from new. Now on third new lump.

So far the new one is still working but I'm expecting it to go up the creak any day now, as lump is 16 months old.

Just now, fredob43 said:

I also do the same, but I have never got more than 17 months on a Toyo battery from new. Now on third new lump.

So far the new one is still working but I'm expecting it to go up the creak any day now, as lump is 16 months old.

My first two that lasted 2 years each were Toyota brand L/acid, my third L/acid was a cheap Thai brand, 3 years 4 months with the hood up. The best battery was a Boliden sealed, it lasted 3 years with half the fluid missing, if it wasn't for that l reckon it would have got to 4 years..

3 hours ago, transam said:

Same here! Been doing for 30 years, even when not in the tropics..... 

... I also lift my wipers ☺ 

But yes also to the earlier heat comments... those under bonnet temperatures are a killer for the long term life.

38 minutes ago, tifino said:

But yes also to the earlier heat comments... those under bonnet temperatures are a killer for the long term life.

There has been several discussion topics on lifting the bonnet.  I always do it providing I'm somewhere where I think no one will nick it!

All have lasted more than three years. Heat as said is a killer.

My 2015 3.2Ltr Everest is still on the same battery and the battery still looks healthy.

I also have a CTEK battery charger which I put on at least once a month.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:51 AM, tifino said:

Battery in my Triton is 4 years old, never lift the hood to cool engine compartment. What a hassle that would be, same as lifting a $2 set of wipers.

I think the OEM battery on the Ranger lasted +3 years and it started cranking slower so I got a new and bigger one with plugs as per the battery sellers recommendations, so we fill up once a month or so.

I also don't bother opening the bonnet or lifting the wipers, the truck is parked in the shade when home and that's the best I can/will do.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Crap battery too. Needs checked for water level. 

Surely when the i-stop turns of the engine and the lights are still on, it drains the battery?

Any way next time I will buy a maintenance free battery.

I have found Panasonic MF to be okay...buy and use a CTEK

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2018 at 4:38 PM, Sam Lin said:

Auto lights won't do anything to battery life.

What color is the i-stop light flashing? If you don't use it anyways, no issue with continuing to drive it. However, change it quickly if you notice it cranks slowly when you first try to start it in the morning, they die pretty quickly after that point and it could leave you stranded.

On my CX5, the original battery only lasted 1.5yr - it only made it one more month after the i-Stop started flashing, and it cranked noticably slower on morning startup.

i you buy i good brand of battery they ok for 3/5 years, the battery  install in  new car are very cheap,a lot people have the same problem!

13 hours ago, no deal said:

in arizona where is very hot checker or autozone or walmart sale battery whit 5 years guaranty!

The same in my country, for sure there are expensive batteries out there that use the latest tech but I reckon most are selling you an insurance policy with the battery with the extra time/cost as the law of averages regarding a rides usage they win.

My fun ride had 2 cheap l/acid batteries that between them lasted 20 years because I knew the pitfalls and worked out my own program to keep them going..????

Archived