Land Transport to review move to increase fine for driving without license

snoop1130

Land Transport to review move to increase fine for driving without license

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4AGzBINyg5rZomltz1qRDZ3vVJTRtYexEUS8t6.jpg

The Land Transport Department will review its proposal to increase the amounts of fine for motorists driving without driving licenses following strong opposition from members of the public and objection from Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.   It will also invite public feedback on the proposal.

Deputy director-general of the department Kamon Buranapong said instead of  imposing the maximum fine of 50,000 baht on motorists without driving licenses, an alternative is for such fine to be proportionate with the seriousness of the offence.

The department is seeking to amend the existing traffic laws to increase the maximum fine to 50,000 baht along with a three-month jail term, claiming such stringent penalty is designed to help solve traffic problems.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/land-transport-to-review-move-to-increase-fine-for-driving-without-license/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-8-30

14 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Anybody catch the News with O-Cha in a jumpsuit and helmet riding a mbike...was pretty hilarious on TV

But man Im seeing the crackdown in Cm..daily roadblocks all around...stay tuned TV fans!

Jumpsuit and a helmet, hey? Hopefully for his next trick he’ll be fired out of a cannon. 

20 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Anybody catch the News with O-Cha in a jumpsuit and helmet riding a mbike...was pretty hilarious on TV

But man Im seeing the crackdown in Cm..daily roadblocks all around...stay tuned TV fans!

For CM it has been normal procedure for a long time now. They like to have a couple to few check points at a time in different places.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Jumpsuit and a helmet, hey? Hopefully for his next trick he’ll be fired out of a cannon. 

Well that wins my vote for best comment of the week, Well done Sir!

I shall start to pray for the day when this happens, hopefully televised, sort of hoping all manner of things will go badly wrong! :cheesy:

But will the fines be paid by the locals on 10k monthly salaries ?  Of course not , 2000 is probably going to hurt them enough .   

Instead of fines they should just confiscate the bike , and ask them to get a license for free if they learn how to drive . 

balo,,,," and ask them to get a license for free if they learn how to drive"

ok, so they a) can then 'learn to drive without a motorcycle'......hmm   b) you presume that getting a piece of plastic with your face and some numbers assures that the person "knows how to drive".

guy,  with your logic you should be running for govt office somewhere.

31 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

balo,,,," and ask them to get a license for free if they learn how to drive"

ok, so they a) can then 'learn to drive without a motorcycle'......hmm   b) you presume that getting a piece of plastic with your face and some numbers assures that the person "knows how to drive".

guy,  with your logic you should be running for govt office somewhere.

Actually not such a bad idea to bring in changes on a step by step basis:

- License free from now to 30 June 2019.

- Caught no license from now to 30 June 2019 - fine 1,500Baht. Not paid within 30 days add 20Baht a day, etc.

- Caught no license after 30 June 2019 - fine - 5,000Baht. No paid within 30 days add 40Baht a day. Not paid in full 60 days go to jail not released until all fines paid.

Or something similar.... 

And:

After 30 June 2019 maximum fine - 5,000Baht.

Second time caught - 10,000Baht

Third time caught - 10,000Baht and 7 days jail

etc.

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

it is better to link the amount of the penalties proportionally to the income. for the red bull driver even 10 million baht are peanuts.

This does nothing to elevate the problem, fines should be a deterrent, therefore equal for all, if it is easy to pay it is not a deterrent therefore useless.

The fine up to 50.000 b how would any one pay that amount or even half the amount. the police stations would be unable to compound the amount of bikes seized . They would have to build new prisons  to accommodate those who get a prison term . i wonder how may thais have a valid licence and foreigners  on holidays. .      

2 minutes ago, tompelli said:

Confiscate the vehicle until they produce a licence. It gets the 10  million into the database & then start thinking about fines....that very few people think about paying anyway...baby steps.

same as western countries scrap the bikes . would make it hard to get a licence as the bike is needed to do the test.    

2 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

same as western countries scrap the bikes . would make it hard to get a licence as the bike is needed to do the test.    

Don't think Thailand is ready for the leap to join western countries (& rules) just yet. This situation has been allowed to happen by successive governments, who really didnt care if their citizens are slaughtered. Oh there's a law for that, job done. No enforcement or education, took a long time to demonise drink driving in the West. Motorcycles are the only source of transport for the poorest families - choose between starving & breaking an un-enforced law.

26 minutes ago, tompelli said:

Don't think Thailand is ready for the leap to join western countries (& rules) just yet. This situation has been allowed to happen by successive governments, who really didnt care if their citizens are slaughtered. Oh there's a law for that, job done. No enforcement or education, took a long time to demonise drink driving in the West. Motorcycles are the only source of transport for the poorest families - choose between starving & breaking an un-enforced law.

totally understand  

50,000 is excessive. Perhaps impound the bike and release it to someone with a license after the fine is paid. Perhaps 2000 to 5000 would be enough. 

A monthly sale of bikes that haven’t been collected to pay off owed fines. A similar program for drunk drivers should keep the coffers full. 

9 hours ago, balo said:

But will the fines be paid by the locals on 10k monthly salaries ?  Of course not , 2000 is probably going to hurt them enough .   

Instead of fines they should just confiscate the bike , and ask them to get a license for free if they learn how to drive . 

The penalty for driving eithout a licence needs to be very high you are talki g about other people being put in danger. The only people who will protest the fines are those who don't have a licence - law breakers.  It is long past time Thailand cracked down on basic road laws, licence, driving on the wrong side of the road,  incorrect or no lights, helmets, underage motorbike riders, continually driving in the outside lane, make overtaking on the left illegal (save lives)

13 hours ago, rkidlad said:

A couple of weeks ago I went from Lom Sak to Bangkok. At each entrance to the highway, be it a small soi or big intersection, a traffic policeman was in attendance. A rough estimate would be about 600 persons. This occurred all the way nearly to Saraburi - about 200 km, Some of them would have been in attendance for 3 hours or more. Presumably some big wig or royal was on their way to Phetchabun or further. My question is, what happens to all these traffic cops after the event? To where do they go? Why are they not more visible on the roads to nab serial offenders - speeders, drunk drivers, sidlers (my word), red light offenders, wrong way drivers, etc., etc., instead of being holed up in the booths or at the station? This to me is the heart of the problem - no enforcement! And until that happens the fatalities will continue. No good increasing fines if you don't catch the offenders to start with.

"…an alternative is for such fine to be proportionate with the seriousness of the offence".

This is getting more and more ludicrous by the day! No license means no license. Or will you be fined less if you say, "Officer, I had a dream that I was going to get my license next week", or maybe just a warning if you explain that your dad threatened to take the bike away if you didn't pass a test very soon. Come on, DLT, man up and tell the PM to stop interfering!

One probelm is that a licence requires a degree of literacy.

The literacy of rural poor older farmers and labour is very poor, not through their own fault but the limited system that existed 30 years ago. It seems a little unfair not to take them into account.

Literacy does not equate to safety.

Enforce the laws are in place now that will catch a lot of the lawbreakers.

you see tons of children riding around no helmets and look to be underage drinking. 

Do a 6 months test and force police to stop and fine all. Where I live in the small town as long as you don’t go out on main two lane road chances are 

you’ll never be stopped. 

If im going to town and don’t have to use the main road I don’t wear a helmet.

once before I leaned where no to go I was on tithe moto headed towards main road,  a group of Thai yelled towards me and Police Police so I turned around...

Archived