EU's Barnier says must prepare for a 'no-deal' Brexit

webfact

EU's Barnier says must prepare for a 'no-deal' Brexit

2018-08-30T062911Z_1_LYNXNPEE7T0AW_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-MEETING.JPG

European Union's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier attends a media briefing with Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, Dominic Raab, after a meeting at the EU Commission headquarters in Brussels, Belgium August 21, 2018. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir

BERLIN (Reuters) - The European Union's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said on Thursday the bloc must prepare for a no-deal Brexit, even if its goal was an orderly exit.

The EU needed to be well prepared for everything, Barnier said, telling German broadcaster Deutschlandfunk: "That includes the no-deal scenario."

He said the issue of the Irish border with Northern Ireland was "the most sensitive point" of the negotiations. Of a solution to the issue, he added: "I think that is possible."

On Wednesday, Barnier said the EU is prepared to offer Britain an unprecedentedly close relationship after it quits the bloc but would not allow anything that weakened the body's single market.

He reiterated that point in the Deutschlandfunk interview, saying the EU's offer of a "unique partnership ... should not be at the expense of what we are."

With seven months to go until Britain is due to leave the EU, the two sides are yet to reach a divorce deal. Officials increasingly expect an informal October deadline to slip into November.

Britain's Brexit minister Dominic Raab told lawmakers on Wednesday he was confident that a deal was "within our sights", although he added that there was "some measure of leeway" on the October timetable.

(Reporting by Gernot Heller; Writing by Paul Carrel; Editing by Maria Sheahan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-31

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Hi Grouse..have you visited the Govanhill area of Glasgow as yet?

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, made a detour through there on our way back from Dalwinnie distillery via Holy Loch. 

Dreary like much of post Thatcher Britain. Reminded me of Bradford's Manningham area 

I would go for EU development aid 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Hey Teddy, it's good to see you taking a keen interest in Govanhill. The mess that was created there by the Labour led GCC was a disgrace, but apparently things are turning round now that those red tories have been finally kicked out (hopefully the police are going through the finances diligently to bring those corrupt Labour dynasties to justice).

Hundreds more homes in Govanhill social renting scheme

£34million to be spent in bid to tackle slum housing in Govanhill

Govanhill Backcourts Initiative

This last one is my favourite - the European Union delivering for the people of Govanhill following decades of Labour and Tory intransigence.  

Ha! Just read that!

Teddy?

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Yes, made a detour through there on our way back from Dalwinnie distillery via Holy Loch. 

Dreary like much of post Thatcher Britain. Reminded me of Bradford's Manningham area 

I would go for EU development aid 

I don't believe I have ever driven south of Newtonmore on the A9 - do you recommend a visit to the distillery? I do like a good Speyside of an evening...

13 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't believe I have ever driven south of Newtonmore on the A9 - do you recommend a visit to the distillery? I do like a good Speyside of an evening...

The Distillery at Dramossie pass is worth a visit. We had been visiting our clan museum at Bruar Falls. Sadly our mountain, Schiehallion was shrouded in mist.

I'm into Monkey Shoulder at the moment; a blend of three Speyside malts (no grain) including Glennfiddich, Balvenie and one other. Splendid stuff!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Drumochter pass. I must have drams on the brain

5 hours ago, webfact said:

With seven months to go until Britain is due to leave the EU, the two sides are yet to reach a divorce deal. Officials increasingly expect an informal October deadline to slip into November.

Britain's Brexit minister Dominic Raab told lawmakers on Wednesday he was confident that a deal was "within our sights", although he added that there was "some measure of leeway" on the October timetable.

It's time to put the end of this Brexit stupidity. Trust towards UK's current government is almost zero by everyone, regardless if they are from EU or UK.

Also it's good to know that EU is preparing for no-deal solution. That means that what was once UK's business, will be our business in the future. Once mighty Britain fell down due it's own stubbornness to see the world as it is. Good riddance. 

No point in bothering with Barnier's comments or anyone else's until some decisions are made.  It is all just the same old posturing and hot air.  I suspect we will have more can kicking for a while yet.  It really is boring now, not Brexit itself but the constant attempts by the media to create a story when there isn't one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The EU tactic of being tough with the UK and not negotiating in good faith might turn out to be counter-productive,if it backs the UK into a corner and there is no deal,that means no 40 billion euros ,so the remaining countries will be forced to pay more,this will increase dissatisfaction with the EU and make its disintegration more likely rather than less.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

It's time to put the end of this Brexit stupidity. Trust towards UK's current government is almost zero by everyone, regardless if they are from EU or UK.

Also it's good to know that EU is preparing for no-deal solution. That means that what was once UK's business, will be our business in the future. Once mighty Britain fell down due it's own stubbornness to see the world as it is. Good riddance. 

Sadly people in Scotland can't say good riddance, as we are chained to the mindless army of little Englander bigots who are only now beginning to wake up to the fact that they have been conned by a bunch of right wing charlatans. These charlatans, Farage, Johnson, Fox, JR-M etc  wholeheartedly despise them, and can't wait for EU employment law to be ended, so they can exploit those who voted for them even more than they do now.

Those seeking a great malt don't even have to cross the central belt (Where the LP after years of local government corruption has largely been dumped incidentally) Glenkinchie from East Lothian is a fine place to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

Wow, thus spake Zarath-who?

Edited by My Thai Life

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Wow, thus spake Zarath-who?

I'm sorry, I don't understand your neutral brexiter reply. I do hope you enjoy your football game. 

21 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand your neutral brexiter reply. I do hope you enjoy your football game.

Eh? Sarcasm? Is there football on tonight?

Oh I geddit, you are assuming that because (as I said earlier) I enjoyed football as a child in the beautiful long English summer evenings to 10 pm, I must watch tv footie as an adult? 

Far from it, you're more likely to find me reading literature, modern or otherwise but always international, as in my "Thus Spake Zarath-who?" comment that you seem to be responding to.

Yes I am a Brit who's neutral on the brexit issue. And you are evidently a Brit-hater. Enjoy your hating. Have a good evening.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Eh? Sarcasm? Is there football on tonight?

Oh I geddit, you are assuming that because (as I said earlier) I enjoyed football as a child in the beautiful long English summer evenings to 10 pm, I must watch tv footie as an adult? 

Far from it, you're more likely to find me reading literature, modern or otherwise but always international, as in my "Thus Spake Zarath-who?" comment that you seem to be responding to.

Yes I am a Brit who's neutral on the brexit issue. And you are evidently a Brit-hater. Enjoy your hating. Have a good evening.

I'm far from Brit-hater. I have my doubts of people who pretend to be what they are not. I still like to listen to their thoughts and learn from them. 

As I'm not a native English speaker, I have no idea what "Thus Spake Zarath-who?" refers to nor what it could mean. Thus I asked to be informed. It's however good to know that you are an international person. 

I honestly though your 10pm football reply was meant to be on other thread, talking about EU's wish to scrap the summer time changes of time, you just made a simple mistake. I guess I was wrong.

2 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Sadly people in Scotland can't say good riddance, as we are chained to the mindless army of little Englander bigots who are only now beginning to wake up to the fact that they have been conned by a bunch of right wing charlatans. These charlatans, Farage, Johnson, Fox, JR-M etc  wholeheartedly despise them, and can't wait for EU employment law to be ended, so they can exploit those who voted for them even more than they do now.

Those seeking a great malt don't even have to cross the central belt (Where the LP after years of local government corruption has largely been dumped incidentally) Glenkinchie from East Lothian is a fine place to start.

In the long game Scotland is going to be part of the EU, just like Northern Ireland will be. I'd predict Scotland divorces UK in 2022 and immediately applies for EU membership. Northern Ireland will follow in 2024. 

These changes take time, but what is meant to be, will eventually happen.

England-Wales will also join to the EU some day. Their union's power and wealth is a fraction what it used to be. Perhaps in 2028.

Stormy times ahead. 

Why would anyone in Scotland care about EU employment law no one works thete,they just live off the rest of us

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

27 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I have my doubts of people who pretend to be what they are not.

Is that directed at me? I'm a Brit, and I'm neutral on brexit. I'm fortunate in that I have no need to pretend anything to anyone.

I am, however, surprised at the many people who "contribute" to the brexit "debates" on this forum who are not Brits, but don't want to say where they're from nor why they spend so much time on the brexit topic. 

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1