Chinese tourist killed by car after shopping in Chiang Mai

webfact

Dear Hyuku..

You gave me a "sad" post.

You  do understand that in Thailand, Great Britain,Australia and New Zealand (and other countries) it is "look right-look left -and right again."

Otherwise-you would be roadkill-if ,indeed, you ever lived in Thailand.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Jazzdog-you  gave me a "sad" post..

Another one who does not know his left from his right..and hence has quite possibly never been to Thailand.

Stand on a pavement in Thailand facing the road before you step off..

Look right-probably live.

Look left-probably die.

17 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Dear Jazzdog-you  gave me a "sad" post..

Another one who does not know his left from his right..and hence has quite possibly never been to Thailand.

Stand on a pavement in Thailand facing the road before you step off..

Look right-probably live.

Look left-probably die.

Thanks so much for the enlightenment. You have such a firm grasp of the obvious. Get over yourself, the sad was directed at the poor young lady, not you.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Young people die all over the world prematurely, and frequently unremarked. Sometimes by their own choices, sometimes by misfortune. Get used to it.

I don't have a problem with you lamenting the death of a young woman, or saying there's a need for better road education. I also don't have a problem with you lacking a sense of humor - not all of us have one.

However, when you describe me as an inane troll and pontificate about the milk of human kindness when I have simply pointed out the absurdity of a headline, you step over the line into sanctimony. I've sometimes found sanctimony is combined with hypocrisy. One only has to look at the Roman Catholic Church for that.

I don't suppose you would understand a headline which states that a body was found in Sherwood Forest by a tramp in an advanced state of decomposition either.

No, that's not all I've got.

Thank you for your somewhat befuddled reply.

However, by resorting to blatant obfuscation (i.e. highlighting problems within the Roman Catholic Church (and no, I'm not a Catholic or, particularly religious), and an equally vague comment regarding a body found in Sherwood Forest) as a way to try and justify your original post is nonsense, as neither of the comments have any bearing on the death of the girl in Chiang Mai. I'm thinking that your original post was a (failed) attempt by you to say something that would make you look smart. It remains a shame that you (and others) just can't find it in your bitter hearts to offer any condolences, empathy or sympathy (y'know the "stuff" that which elevates us above the beasts of the field).

11 hours ago, sfokevin said:

The article give scant information but it seemed she was trying to cross the Superhighway to get from the bus station area to the Big C ( This has EIGHT lane of high speed traffic) And she was doing this at night!...

My heart goes out to her and the poor guy that will have to live with the vision of her in his headlights....

8ED96F41-DA20-421F-87C9-C2AD3EE15380.png

Oh goody he actually had his lights on then

14 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

RIP

A young girl dies tragically and needlessly and as usual the TV trolls are immediately out in force making their inane comments. Regretfully, not much evidence of the "milk of human kindness" here!

It's tragic that this 21 year-old has died whilst on holiday here, no matter what the circumstances. Surely it's time someone explained to (especially Chinese) tourists that the roads here are exceptionally dangerous and to take extreme care. For a reason I don't understand, I've seen many Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai putting themselves in danger by standing in the middle of a busy road consulting a map or simply talking; scurrying across the road at (seemingly) the least safe moment and hiring and riding cycles and motobikes with the minimum of skill, care and attention, oblivious to any danger to themselves and others. I really don't know what the answer is.

Regards,

Joe

It's not like roads in China are safe.

20 hours ago, neeray said:

Probably not a bad idea to look both ways, as it is easy for us who come from countries where cars go the opposite way on the opposite side of the road, to get confused. I have made this mistake many times.

But I suspect that it was more a case of just not paying attention, kids having careless fun.

RIP young girl, much sorrow for your friends and family.

The comment that she looked the wrong way may be right but when working in China, I was almost killed twice by "whispering death" electric motorbikes speeding in the opposite direction along the road next to the median strip in the wrong direction. 

I quickly learned to look both ways on both sides of the road. 

7 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Thank you for your somewhat befuddled reply.

However, by resorting to blatant obfuscation (i.e. highlighting problems within the Roman Catholic Church (and no, I'm not a Catholic or, particularly religious), and an equally vague comment regarding a body found in Sherwood Forest) as a way to try and justify your original post is nonsense, as neither of the comments have any bearing on the death of the girl in Chiang Mai. I'm thinking that your original post was a (failed) attempt by you to say something that would make you look smart. It remains a shame that you (and others) just can't find it in your bitter hearts to offer any condolences, empathy or sympathy (y'know the "stuff" that which elevates us above the beasts of the field).

Well, that's your interpretation of my first and second post. You are the one that sounds bitter.

Thank you for confirming you are sanctimonious, pompous and completely devoid of humour.

18 minutes ago, rosst said:

The comment that she looked the wrong way may be right but when working in China, I was almost killed twice by "whispering death" electric motorbikes speeding in the opposite direction along the road next to the median strip in the wrong direction. 

The only place I have felt reasonably safe in Asia where the roads are concerned is Singapore, I still never took my eye off the ball as there isn't anywhere that is 100% safe

26 minutes ago, rosst said:

I can totally understand the "growing" problem of "whispering death". Even in my home country, while walking my dog, there's been a few occasions when a "whispering" electric car has sneaked up behind me. Same for electric motor scooters. I can relate.

All the posters here rambling on about how dangerous Thai roads are, and they most certainly are, have obviously never lived and driven around China. The problems there with insane drivers and ignored traffic laws are the equal to Thailand. The biggest difference is that so many Chinese vehicles are electric and you can't hear them at all. Walking on the sidewalk is scary enough because that's where electric motorbikes drive!

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Well, that's your interpretation of my first and second post. You are the one that sounds bitter.

Thank you for confirming you are sanctimonious, pompous and completely devoid of humour.

I really fail to understand why you think that the death of someone is cause to say something "humorous". I might be all the things you claim but I am at least (and happily) compassionate, whereas you sir, are merely an internet nobody masquerading as a human being...

On 8/31/2018 at 10:01 AM, Shoeless Joe said:

RIP

A young girl dies tragically and needlessly and as usual the TV trolls are immediately out in force making their inane comments. Regretfully, not much evidence of the "milk of human kindness" here!

It's tragic that this 21 year-old has died whilst on holiday here, no matter what the circumstances. Surely it's time someone explained to (especially Chinese) tourists that the roads here are exceptionally dangerous and to take extreme care. For a reason I don't understand, I've seen many Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai putting themselves in danger by standing in the middle of a busy road consulting a map or simply talking; scurrying across the road at (seemingly) the least safe moment and hiring and riding cycles and motobikes with the minimum of skill, care and attention, oblivious to any danger to themselves and others. I really don't know what the answer is.

Regards,

Joe

It suprises me more are not killed or injured the way they disregard their own safety. Joe hits it spot on as I have seen everything he discribes in Chiang Mai. When people care very little about their own safety how or why should others worry about them

29 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I really fail to understand why you think that the death of someone is cause to say something "humorous". I might be all the things you claim but I am at least (and happily) compassionate, whereas you sir, are merely an internet nobody masquerading as a human being...

I am sure you are very happy with the holier-than-thou shtick. You've described me as befuddled, bitter and broken - a gratuitous character analysis of someone you have never met and know nothing about. You obviously are incapable of seeing the contradiction between your description of me, and your preaching on the milk of human kindness.

23 hours ago, overherebc said:

No need to be so sensitive.

Indeed. There's plenty more where she came from.

I once watched a young Chinese couple going the wrong way on a one-way street on a rental bike in Pattaya. What's wrong with that you say? The locals do it all the time don't they? However, the peril of the Chinese going the wrong way is that regardless if they have realized they are going the wrong way (but they probably haven't), they will, like this young couple, invariably be doing it on the WRONG side of the street since they drive on the opposite side in China. So what you say? The locals blithely go the wrong way on either side here every day. That's fine except when as witnessed by me, this couple INSISTED they were going the CORRECT way on the CORRECT side of the street, didn't sense anything was wrong, expected the other car (not mine) to stop or give way and got creamed by a bus. The locals will dodge and weave, left and right to keep moving ahead. The Chinese unfortunately don't know how to tango.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, Shoeless Joe said:

For a reason I don't understand, I've seen many Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai putting themselves in danger by standing in the middle of a busy road consulting a map or simply talking; scurrying across the road at (seemingly) the least safe moment and hiring and riding cycles and motobikes with the minimum of skill, care and attention, oblivious to any danger to themselves and others. I really don't know what the answer is.

See it all the time here and have had Chinese tourists step out in the road in front of me, without looking, as well as doing sudden random u-turns on m/cs and the list could go on and on...………...

No answer to it as you can't fix stupid. 

13 hours ago, Cereal said:

All the posters here rambling on about how dangerous Thai roads are, and they most certainly are, have obviously never lived and driven around China. The problems there with insane drivers and ignored traffic laws are the equal to Thailand. The biggest difference is that so many Chinese vehicles are electric and you can't hear them at all. Walking on the sidewalk is scary enough because that's where electric motorbikes drive!

I will point out the obvious for you my man

Its all very well informing us about what happens in China but its no help at all as regards what happens in Thailand

I am still waiting for the Knock on effect of the Japanese rules of the road being deployed and enforced in Thailand

No I am not holding my breath

14 hours ago, Cereal said:

I'm there frequently.  It's not the UK,  which I believe to have the best drivers overall IMPE. But it's nowhere near as bad as Malaysia,  let lone Thailand. I can't leave the house without witnessing some deadly dangerous idiocy here,   usually some deceased incumbent on a totally unlit bike at night.  I average seeing one actual biker corpse a year,  just being out and about in Chiang Mai. Which is often 10 days at a stretch between trips. In China the cops actually do their jobs on the highways too, very visible. 

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Indeed. There's plenty more where she came from.

I once watched a young Chinese couple going the wrong way on a one-way street on a rental bike in Pattaya. What's wrong with that you say? The locals do it all the time don't they? However, the peril of the Chinese going the wrong way is that regardless if they have realized they are going the wrong way (but they probably haven't), they will, like this young couple, invariably be doing it on the WRONG side of the street since they drive on the opposite side in China. So what you say? The locals blithely go the wrong way on either side here every day. That's fine except when as witnessed by me, this couple INSISTED they were going the CORRECT way on the CORRECT side of the street, didn't sense anything was wrong, expected the other car (not mine) to stop or give way and got creamed by a bus. The locals will dodge and weave, left and right to keep moving ahead. The Chinese unfortunately don't know how to tango.

More generalist nonsense based on that one time you saw a chinese prang... You seem to know a hell of a lot about their rationale, and their ability or otherwise, as a nation of a couple of billion souls,  to 'tango' ...an elaborate assumption based on that one time?  Or did you take witness statements -in fluent Putonghua -at the scene?   

31 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

I will point out the obvious for you my man

Its all very well informing us about what happens in China but its no help at all as regards what happens in Thailand

I am still waiting for the Knock on effect of the Japanese rules of the road being deployed and enforced in Thailand

No I am not holding my breath

I disagree... there is plenty of overlap between cultures and having an understanding of what happens in similar or overlapping cultures helps us understand how things work. 

If every tourist first went to China and witnessed the driving there, to their benefit they would understand many of the road associated risks here in Thailand.  So, to inform us of what happens in China and pseudo-sister cultures would in fact help. You have indicated this in your 'knock-on effect of the Japanese rules of the road being deployed and enforced in Thailand' comment... If people did care and pay attention, lessons from both 'good and bad' would be recognized - of course not by the masses, but by those in positions of decision making power who truly could have a positive impact. 

The only idiots apart from Thais on the roads I recall seeing, are western backpackers.  I guess if you want to see yellow people do stupid shit you'll see that, and maybe screen out all the eurotrash dumbassery.

Not saying they're angels, I see an endless stream of dildodery in China. I'm just saying I've yet to see a badly behaved, or dressed, Chinese in CM. 

6 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

The only idiots apart from Thais on the roads I recall seeing, are western backpackers.  I guess if you want to see yellow people do stupid shit you'll see that, and maybe screen out all the eurotrash dumbassery.

Not saying they're angels, I see an endless stream of dildodery in China. I'm just saying I've yet to see a badly behaved, or dressed, Chinese in CM. 

I think its perhaps better to suggest a general level of 'dumbassery' across the board and leave it at that... as that is the positive takeaway from your post... the 'yellow people' comment is somewhat clumsy and significantly dumbs down the eloquence of your address in a klansman manner... 

In global climate overflowing with 'dildodery' (a cracking new word to my forum vocabulary btw & thank-you) I'm not so sure 'dress code' has an impact on road safety, driving with consideration or crossing the road without looking... 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think its perhaps better to suggest a general level of 'dumbassery' across the board and leave it at that... as that is the positive takeaway from your post... the 'yellow people' comment is somewhat clumsy and significantly dumbs down the eloquence of your address in a klansman manner... 

In global climate overflowing with 'dildodery' (a cracking new word to my forum vocabulary btw & thank-you) I'm not so sure 'dress code' has an impact on road safety, driving with consideration or crossing the road without looking... 

The 'yellow people'  was a Springsteenesque swipe at the xenophobic <deleted> who are oblivious to the irony of their living amongst people with a significant amount of Sino DNA in their lineage.

But they still have wet dreams over Waterloo and Trafalgar,  so the bar has to be low. 

And thank you for the word kudos. It's mine,  as far as I know...  

On 8/31/2018 at 4:18 AM, overherebc said:

Really!!!

Do you want everyone going around hang dog faced everytime someone is killed on the road. Should we all stay home 24/7 thinking about it and looking miserable?

No, we should not. But nor should we gloat about it as if it were somehow a good thing. Her parents will be devastated ... as you would be if she were your daughter.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

No, we should not. But nor should we gloat about it as if it were somehow a good thing. Her parents will be devastated ... as you would be if she were your daughter.

There is a massive difference between gloating and not being affected by the fact.

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

See it all the time here and have had Chinese tourists step out in the road in front of me, without looking, as well as doing sudden random u-turns on m/cs and the list could go on and on...………...

No answer to it as you can't fix stupid. 

And I've seen Aussies do the same, and Brits, and Yanks, and plenty of other tourists of all descriptions.  That's the nature of tourists of all stripes.  They're on holiday and they let down their guard.  I've been just as guilty.

Strange how it's always the Thai driver's fault when it's a western foreigner killed on Thai roads, but not when it's an Asian, African, Eastern European or Middle Eastern tourist.  Then, it's their own stupidity.  Seems more than a little racist to me.   

And it's despicable that so many posters revel in the death of another human being and the grief of the loved ones that will be devastated.  Unless, of course, it's one of their own...

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I disagree... there is plenty of overlap between cultures and having an understanding of what happens in similar or overlapping cultures helps us understand how things work. 

If every tourist first went to China and witnessed the driving there, to their benefit they would understand many of the road associated risks here in Thailand.  So, to inform us of what happens in China and pseudo-sister cultures would in fact help. You have indicated this in your 'knock-on effect of the Japanese rules of the road being deployed and enforced in Thailand' comment... If people did care and pay attention, lessons from both 'good and bad' would be recognized - of course not by the masses, but by those in positions of decision making power who truly could have a positive impact. 

You have obviously taken my post far too seriously, but nevermind

The mention of the Japanese road rules was merely a bit of frivolity, you don't really think they were serious about it do you

Thai authorities like nothing more than hear themselves talk, unfortunately they actually believe the BS they continue to spout, the unabated cost is sad the "Bell" should have a crack in it by now as it "Tolls " so regularly

If there is one thing I would recommend a first time visitor doing it would be  to do some research on the accident figures that might just prepare them somewhat if they have an understanding of those

It would also help if they compared them with a first word country of a similar population size, they would of course need to take into account the types of transport used during their research, plus the prevalent economic "needs must"

Then who know perhaps they wont have to claim on their "Insurance cover" 55555

Archived