Chinese tourist killed by car after shopping in Chiang Mai

webfact

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

There is a massive difference between gloating and not being affected by the fact.

I read about people dying every day ... from stabbings in London, terrorist bombs, and, like this one, some poor girl on vacation who dies crossing the road. I'm almost inured to it ... but "having a laugh" about is a bit sick. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

I read about people dying every day ... from stabbings in London, terrorist bombs, and, like this one, some poor girl on vacation who dies crossing the road. I'm almost inured to it ... but "having a laugh" about is a bit sick. 

Who is having a laugh?

6 hours ago, impulse said:

And I've seen Aussies do the same, and Brits, and Yanks, and plenty of other tourists of all descriptions.  That's the nature of tourists of all stripes.  They're on holiday and they let down their guard.  I've been just as guilty.

Strange how it's always the Thai driver's fault when it's a western foreigner killed on Thai roads, but not when it's an Asian, African, Eastern European or Middle Eastern tourist.  Then, it's their own stupidity.  Seems more than a little racist to me.   

And it's despicable that so many posters revel in the death of another human being and the grief of the loved ones that will be devastated.  Unless, of course, it's one of their own...

I'm sure that more than a few tourists are "careless" when on holiday, however my experience here over 14 years of driving on the roads and more recently where there have been more Chinese tourists, is that they are absolutely the worst, by a long chalk.

I could quite easily count about 20 near misses I've had on Chinese tourists, when I've been driving in my car or motorbike, and this within the last six months, and this doesn't include the other stupidity like walking four abreast on a narrow road........and many more instances if I were to go on.

And I've seen one farang motorbike accident over the past couple of years, and many absolute doozies from Chinese drivers where they seem to lose control of their bikes and plunge into ditches or roadside barriers!

For the record, I personally don't revel in the death of another human being, although there have been many times that I have wished that some idiot on a large bike who has been weaving in and out of the traffic at speed, and endangering other lives, would go to meet his maker before he dispatches someone else to that end.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:18 AM, oldrunner said:

Nothing to do with speeding driver, I'm sure.

"speeding" or not, if you're about to cross a road, you're instinct should tell you to look for oncoming vechicles, and do a quick calculation if you'll have time to pass the road.

EDIT:
just seen post 16 by [mention=23568]sfokevin[/mention]
My assumption too. In front of BigC Extra(?).
Crazy!!!
Sukhumvit Pattaya is childs play in comparison.
Like walking over a UK motorway or German autobahn.
No lights etc.

If only a local could tell me where "Tambon Mae Ping" in Mueang district is? Non existent to my sources.

Not only you. Muangs mean to be near the City, but in reality it can be on the Province Border 200 cliks away.Stupid idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

humor or not, whatever.  let's be real, the person's relatives aren't reading this post.  fluent in English?  doubtful.  anyhow, not my intention.  my intention is to simply post and keep this going.....the more that read, the more that will think, "HOLD UP, I don't want to die this way.....let me be safe and increase my odds of not getting hurt."  Lot's of time I act very defensively, sometimes aggressively, and luckily no accidents in three years.  But four very close calls.....anything can happen.  be safe out there.  

Archived