Chinese tourist killed by car after shopping in Chiang Mai

webfact

Chinese tourist killed by car after shopping in Chiang Mai

By The Nation

892495-696x392.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

A Chinese tourist was killed while crossing a highway in Chiang Mai after going shopping on Thursday night, police said.

The tourist was identified as Huang Cifei, 21.

The accident happened on the Chiang Mai-Lampang highway in front of the BigC superstore in Tambon Mae Ping in Muang district.

Huang’s friends told police that they had come to shop at the store and were on their way back with Huang well out in front when she was hit by a speeding car.

The car driver, whose name was withheld, claimed that the woman suddenly ran across the road in front of him and he was unable to stop in time.

The tourists had been visiting the city since Tuesday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353408

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-31

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queue the 'Chinese hotel bookings collapse in Chiang Mai following road traffic fatality' news tag.

This will be shortly followed by reports of the approval for additional street lighting, light-controlled pedestrian crossings and increased due diligence on the part of the land transport department and department of rural roads.

About a month later, TAT will report that Chinese arrivals in CNX are up ~12%.

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

She forgot, and looked reft not light when she crossed the road.

Probably not a bad idea to look both ways, as it is easy for us who come from countries where cars go the opposite way on the opposite side of the road, to get confused. I have made this mistake many times.

But I suspect that it was more a case of just not paying attention, kids having careless fun.

RIP young girl, much sorrow for your friends and family.

RIP

A young girl dies tragically and needlessly and as usual the TV trolls are immediately out in force making their inane comments. Regretfully, not much evidence of the "milk of human kindness" here!

It's tragic that this 21 year-old has died whilst on holiday here, no matter what the circumstances. Surely it's time someone explained to (especially Chinese) tourists that the roads here are exceptionally dangerous and to take extreme care. For a reason I don't understand, I've seen many Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai putting themselves in danger by standing in the middle of a busy road consulting a map or simply talking; scurrying across the road at (seemingly) the least safe moment and hiring and riding cycles and motobikes with the minimum of skill, care and attention, oblivious to any danger to themselves and others. I really don't know what the answer is.

Regards,

Joe

1 minute ago, Shoeless Joe said:

RIP

A young girl dies tragically and needlessly and as usual the TV trolls are immediately out in force making their inane comments. Regretfully, not much evidence of the "milk of human kindness" here!

It's tragic that this 21 year-old has died whilst on holiday here, no matter what the circumstances. Surely it's time someone explained to (especially Chinese) tourists that the roads here are exceptionally dangerous and to take extreme care. For a reason I don't understand, I've seen many Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai putting themselves in danger by standing in the middle of a busy road consulting a map or simply talking; scurrying across the road at (seemingly) the least safe moment and hiring and riding cycles and motobikes with the minimum of skill, care and attention, oblivious to any danger to themselves and others. I really don't know what the answer is.

Regards,

Joe

Perhaps you should go to church and start praying for them.

4 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Really?? That's all you've got?? My word you really are broken...

With no regards whatsoever.

Joe

Really!!!

Do you want everyone going around hang dog faced everytime someone is killed on the road. Should we all stay home 24/7 thinking about it and looking miserable?

37 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Really!!!

Do you want everyone going around hang dog faced everytime someone is killed on the road. Should we all stay home 24/7 thinking about it and looking miserable?

I know someone just like you in my home country. Is your name Mark????? Just a despicable attitude!

No need to "hang dog faced" but no need to be so "broken".

1 hour ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Really?? That's all you've got?? My word you really are broken...

With no regards whatsoever.

Joe

Young people die all over the world prematurely, and frequently unremarked. Sometimes by their own choices, sometimes by misfortune. Get used to it.

I don't have a problem with you lamenting the death of a young woman, or saying there's a need for better road education. I also don't have a problem with you lacking a sense of humor - not all of us have one.

However, when you describe me as an inane troll and pontificate about the milk of human kindness when I have simply pointed out the absurdity of a headline, you step over the line into sanctimony. I've sometimes found sanctimony is combined with hypocrisy. One only has to look at the Roman Catholic Church for that.

I don't suppose you would understand a headline which states that a body was found in Sherwood Forest by a tramp in an advanced state of decomposition either.

No, that's not all I've got.

The article give scant information but it seemed she was trying to cross the Superhighway to get from the bus station area to the Big C ( This has EIGHT lane of high speed traffic) And she was doing this at night!...

My heart goes out to her and the poor guy that will have to live with the vision of her in his headlights....

8ED96F41-DA20-421F-87C9-C2AD3EE15380.png

A crazy road to even think about crossing but some blame lies with the thai authorities who routinely build roads with no thought on how pedestrians can cross them safely. Even if you go to the junction there are no pedestrian crossings. If you use a pedestrian crossing there are no warnings for tourists that not all traffic will stop for the red light so cross with extreme caution. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The accident happened on the Chiang Mai-Lampang highway

EDIT:

just seen post 16 by @sfokevin

My assumption too. In front of BigC Extra(?).

Crazy!!!

Sukhumvit Pattaya is childs play in comparison.

Like walking over a UK motorway or German autobahn.

No lights etc.

If only a local could tell me where "Tambon Mae Ping" in Mueang district is? Non existent to my sources.

Yeah, eventually walking across a road with your hand positioned in a 'Stop' gesture doesn't impress one of the locals who simply keeps driving.  A wai, an apology to Thai society, and a hand-slap and all will be forgiven.  On the flip side, from what I've experienced in CM, Chinese simply have no concept of the danger to themselves when crossing Thai roads and thinking that Thai drivers are like drivers in other countries where pedestrians generally have the right-of-way.  It ain't.  But some chose to bet their lives that Thais will stop.  Bad assumption.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

She forgot, and looked reft not light when she crossed the road.

Yes.

It is how Winston Churchill got creamed in New York city-and how I almost got splattered on my trip to the US.If you are in a group you just follow the leader but when you are by yourself you tend to forget.

4 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

When I was knee high to a grasshopper, our teachers would take us on traffic safety walks. Before we crossed on a green light - they would make us repeat ad nauseam - "look left, look right, look left again." To this day, their words are indelibly etched in my mind; consequently, they have saved my hide on several occasions.

Yes..but in my country it was (and is) look right...look left..and right again-good for Thailand.

I fear that the Chinese girl did the reverse because,as you say,it can be etched on your memory.

Anyway,Rest in Peace, lassie..

The only reason more Chinese are not killed in the old city is that the traffic has slowed . I despair every time I go, they wander into the middle of the road to take pictures and seem inacapable of walking on the footpath.Add they forget the traffic is coming the other way and its a recipe for accidents.

Usain Bolt would be lucky to get across that part of the super highway.A tragic loss of life and a life long nightmare for the guy driving

8 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Surely it's time someone explained to (especially Chinese) tourists that the roads here are exceptionally dangerous and to take extreme care.

China traffic is even worse, I have no idea why they behave like this in Thailand.

Archived