Heavy fines vowed for late Takhiantia roadwork

Rimmer

Heavy fines vowed for late Takhiantia roadwork

image.png

PATTAYA:--Banglamung officials vowed to fine the contractor rebuilding Takhiantia-Wat Sangkapiew Road if it missed its second deadline.

The project to widen and repave 950 meters of the roadway on top of a new sewer system was scheduled for completion on Aug. 11. Banglamung District then extended the deadline to Aug. 26 due to myriad of unseen obstacles.

District Chief Naris Niramaiwong said the deadline would not be extended again, with heavy fines facing the contractor for each day past Saturday.

Poor planning is behind the long-running delays for the 14.4-million-baht project.

Contractors broke ground in February, only to discover that Provincial Waterworks Authority pipelines laid under the road and had to be moved. Then electrical poles and transformers had to be moved unexpectedly. All the setbacks led to delays that continue to irritate road users.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-08-31

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Contractors broke ground in February, only to discover that Provincial Waterworks Authority pipelines laid under the road and had to be moved. Then electrical poles and transformers had to be moved unexpectedly. All the setbacks led to delays that continue to irritate road users.

Would be interesting if they went to the bottom of this to find out who is responsible.

Should the contractors have known about this up front, and planned accordingly, or did the PWA and electricity people delay or even constructed pipes and power lines without prior approval? In Thailand everything is possible, even the PWA secretly installing "illegal" piping under roads.

• Like 1

Well done, another pristine example of how efficient certain government agencies are in the land. In most other countries the responsible "signatories" would be properly screened for the selection criteria, the contractor at fault would be in for a surprise as well ? 

9 hours ago, Rimmer said:

due to myriad of unseen obstacles.

Should have got the fortune teller involved sooner.

9 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Contractors broke ground in February, only to discover that Provincial Waterworks Authority pipelines laid under the road and had to be moved.

I know it's all very new here, but for decades in the UK all the major utility companies have had phone lines for contractors to call in advance and check - for free - before starting digging, in order to avoid damaging underground plant.

Nah, 'call in advance' - that's where I went wrong.

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Should have got the fortune teller involved sooner.

I know it's all very new here, but for decades in the UK all the major utility companies have had phone lines for contractors to call in advance and check - for free - before starting digging, in order to avoid damaging underground plant.

Nah, 'call in advance' - that's where I went wrong.

Thailand is sixty years behind UK.  Sixty years ago in UK work on roads was often duplicated/triplicated as different agencies did not communicate with each other.  In sixty years time I anticipate Thailand will have eradicated the soi dog problem.