JJ Green Market To Close Forever In 2 Weeks

webfact

JJ Green Market To Close Forever In 2 Weeks

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

38391260_1876267242456262_80271318056330

Photo: JJ Green / Facebook

BANGKOK — After Sept. 13, not a single vendor will be found at a famous night market in the capital.

Four years after the Chatuchak Green night market, or JJ Green, opened to become a popular evening hangout, Bangkok Gov. Aswin Kwanmuang said Friday that all vendors will need to quit the property by Sept. 12 at the end of the market’s lease contract.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/08/31/jj-green-market-to-close-forever-in-2-weeks/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-08-31

It looks terrifically successful, though I've never been there. Too far away for me.

I remember an earlier story that many vendors were in arrears on rent. But that can't be the main reason. I find it hard to believe the administration has had a sudden "green" moment. Something's up because no one does anything here that doesn't make money. Eventually.

15 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It looks terrifically successful, though I've never been there. Too far away for me.

I remember an earlier story that many vendors were in arrears on rent. But that can't be the main reason. I find it hard to believe the administration has had a sudden "green" moment. Something's up because no one does anything here that doesn't make money. Eventually.

Probably selected encroachers have paid some money to some crooked official and are lined up and waiting to move in.

In my opinion the soon to be opened nearby shopping mall Mixt Chatuchak is the real cause.
Some influential figures paid someone to close the JJ Green market quickly.
There was never anything mentioned for months and as others pointed out, why the sudden need for more green area. Especially if there are two big parks already nearby.

1 hour ago, bangkok blue said:

Another nail in the coffin for tourism and Bangkok attractions

Nonsense. 

I've never been there,  or the floating markets.

Or the Grand Palace.

I've eaten off the street carts a handful of times in years of being here as a tourist -or expat. 

Packed sidewalks on Silom and Sukhumvit are a massive death toll stampede-crush disaster waiting to happen. 

Best thing they ever done was clean up the gangster-rented sidewalks. 

Millions don't come for 'the temples'  I've only ever been to them to humour my other half. 

Horses for courses. 

Progress. 

Nonsense. 

Or the Grand Palace.

I've eaten off the street carts a handful of times in years of being here as a tourist -or expat. 

Packed sidewalks on Silom and Sukhumvit are a massive death toll stampede-crush disaster waiting to happen. 

Millions don't come for 'the temples'  I've only ever been to them to humour my other half. 

Horses for courses. 

Progress. 

Then why are you coming to Thailand?

For the beaches? (That is sarcasm)

2 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Nonsense. 

Or the Grand Palace.

Horses for courses. 

Progress. 

Maybe for you but THAT makes Bkk for me special. The first asian city i visited the organized chaos; now the empty streets. They try to copy Singapore? Its nice clean all work but its boring in that sense of way.

I don't know what the JJ "Green Market" is.  Is everything at Chatuchak closing?  i.e. Will the massive "weekend market" still be there?
It is a separate market next to Chatuchak. Mostly open with a few structures and vintage theme.

Spoke to some of the traders today and they were saying the market will close October 21 - and after that they are moving to a new site behind Chattuchak market, near to an MRT station.
That is interesting. Thanks for this information. If you have more details would you mind posting them here?

Archived