Special Report: Here’s uproar over the concept for a new terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport – and how it was picked

snoop1130

52 minutes ago, bagheera65 said:

There is more pics! 

Also: "Dubbed ‘The Forest Terminal’ the new building has been carefully designed to reflect Thailand’s lush tropical forests, while using Duangrit Bunnag’s familiar modular design language. It doesn’t stop there though, between the terminal’s two main buildings, the team have designed a tropical garden featuring a cascading waterfall."

dbalp-2.jpg

Plagiarism!!  Plagiarism!!  That's clearly copied from EmQuartier!  This project should be cancelled immediately!

Thanks for digging out all the pics though.  I agree with you, the winning design is head and shoulders about the others in terms of character and aesthetics.

Expect a construction nightmare and years of delay with this design.
Not to mention the cleaning and maintenance.
Airports are functional buildings, why make such a fuzz about the design.
They're usually in the middle of nowhere and who gets to see them from outside for a closer look.

15 hours ago, rebo said:

IMHO: Looks great: cosy and nevertheless representativ!
But

I have to admit: Almost impossible to clean in a thorough manner.

Never mind.  the termites will love it, and the potential for birdnest soup gathering looks unprecedented.  What an unnecessarily expensive looking monstrosity

• Like 2

Oh, dear.  Not a waterfall and ponds.  So often these water features look great at first and then they fall into ugly disrepair after a year or so from lack of proper maintenance and upkeep.  Seems like they seized on a technicality to award the second place finisher the winner.  "Oh, sorry. We required the documents to have BLUE paperclips and you used  RED.  We have to disqualify you but better luck next time!".

“I didn’t copy anyone else’s work,” Duangrit insisted. He said he spent over two months on the concept, drawing inspiration not from Kuma’s museum but from Thailand’s tropical forests.

Getting the idea from Kuma's museum and where I could get the timber...

but not copying anything???

22 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Plagiarism!!  Plagiarism!!  That's clearly copied from EmQuartier!  This project should be cancelled immediately!

Thanks for digging out all the pics though.  I agree with you, the winning design is head and shoulders about the others in terms of character and aesthetics.

Actually if it’s copied from EmQuartier he’s plagiarizing his own work as his firm designed emquartier (they are the local designer of record) 

https://wisont.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/emquartier-by-dbalp/

Edited by AJBangkok

22 hours ago, CLW said:

That would have been to easy emoji58.png

Yes.  Copying a 20-25 year old design would have been too easy.

I assume you think having a new design is a very "Thai" thing to do and we should sneer at it.  Would love to hear why you think copying the old design would have been a much better thing to do.

I'm pretty sure that people who make comments like yours are the same kind of people who constantly complain about "Swampy" (tee hee we gave it a funny name) - its design, layout and location.  

I'm all ears.

Yes.  Copying a 20-25 year old design would have been too easy.

I assume you think having a new design is a very "Thai" thing to do and we should sneer at it.  Would love to hear why you think copying the old design would have been a much better thing to do.

I'm pretty sure that people who make comments like yours are the same kind of people who constantly complain about "Swampy" (tee hee we gave it a funny name) - its design, layout and location.  

I'm all ears.

Nothing to do with Thai thing or about any complaints about Swampy, which by the way I not have.

And if there have been any flaws or mistakes at the design of the existing terminal building, why not improve it in a version 2.0?

It's more about continuity and seeing the airport as a whole design.

If you extend your house or build some structure next to it, wouldn't you prefer something that fits as good as possible to the old design?

53 minutes ago, CLW said:

Nothing to do with Thai thing or about any complaints about Swampy, which by the way I not have.

And if there have been any flaws or mistakes at the design of the existing terminal building, why not improve it in a version 2.0?

It's more about continuity and seeing the airport as a whole design.

If you extend your house or build some structure next to it, wouldn't you prefer something that fits as good as possible to the old design?

It's a matter of personal opinion obviously, but I disagree.  This is an entirely new standalone thing so I think there's no necessity for it to be the same at all.  It they were building a new concourse on the existing terminal then yes, keep it the same.  But here you will use one or the other terminal so no need for the continuity in my opinion.

At the end of the day this is a chance to showcase something new and I think the design accomplishes that and will be much talked about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1