What is the best wine you have ever tasted?

norbertt

On 9/1/2018 at 4:52 AM, Damrongsak said:

Boone's Farm, Ripple, Thunderbird, Night Train, Mad Dog 20/20 - they're all about the same.  I switched over to beer when I attained legal drinking age.

About the only wine I really remember tasting was some Retsina.  It was actually good, but I like the smell of Pine sap and turpentine.  Took awhile to drink the entire bottle.

image.png.c620cb46b8b6c5ca938aa82d512f21c2.png

Retsina is like Thai rice whiskey, its so bad its good.

• Like 1

There are two wines that I recall as being superb although many others have been drunk.
One was Domaine de la Romanee-Conti which was over 40 years ago and the other was Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon also some 40 years ago. Still remember the taste. For those who disclaim  wine, perhaps because you have never had a good bottle. [emoji485]
273189727_images(9).jpeg.2dcd3a21be987bd9745b2bebe541a207.jpeg
21797.jpg.e57c0eabeeaaee2d01ef2615cbc5b6ca.jpg
I'm seriously jealous....

Only 4 acre plot, producing the most expensive wine on the world. Probably not worth the 10,000 euros a bottle, but I'd take a glass is someone offered it.20180719_141131.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I guess if your taste is in your  ***e that's what is bound to happen.

nothing winds up pinky raising wine snobs more than reminding them that their status in a glass is just sour grape juice at a silly price...

And the lingo? Swirls, snif and taste..."Hmmm...Presumptuous, with just a hint of irrationality".

Dont insult wine! Folks take it personal and insult the messenger.

Now I will say that I do have a weakness for Chateau d'Yquem but only if someone else is paying.

I did drink a fabulous Morgan Davis once....it was rated 100 points on the Abdul's Deli scale by the homeless dude with the gorgeous cardboard shack behind the dumpster

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, rchapstick said:

I'm seriously jealous....

Only 4 acre plot, producing the most expensive wine on the world. Probably not worth the 10,000 euros a bottle, but I'd take a glass is someone offered it.20180719_141131.jpeg

A close friend owned a wine shop in USA and the Romanne Conti was from him.

The Heitz Cabernet was a bottle I bought for maybe $10 and kept in my cellar (dirty old basement) for a number of years; maybe the bottle was 10 years old when I drank it.

Also drank an old bottle of  Lafite Rotshchild; first glass was superb, the second glass was terrible as it spoiled upon opening the bottle.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

royal reserve.png

That's a port, not a wine. Fortified wine means extra alcohol added to kill fermentation and leave residual sugar. OK as a dessert wine with cheese; however, you'd have to be an alcoholic to have it with a steak.

• Like 2

That's a port, not a wine. Fortified wine means extra alcohol added to kill fermentation and leave residual sugar. OK as a dessert wine with cheese; however, you'd have to be an alcoholic to have it with a steak.
Chateau D'Yquem is NOT a fortified wine. It is a late harvest dessert wine, but is famously served with Foie Gras

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, rchapstick said:

Chateau D'Yquem is NOT a fortified wine. It is a late harvest dessert wine, but is famously served with Foie Gras

I was commenting on the McWilliam's product. Perhaps you can point me to where I made a comment about Chateau D'Yquem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Puligny Montrachet...I have a good french friend who was the wine correspondent for Le Progressive Newspaper. He took me to a very small Chateau somewhere outside Lyon....still in the cask and selling it for 3 euros a bottle around 2005!....I ordered 12 and the owner bottled and labelled it there and then. When he made up the case I said not 12 bottles ...12 cases. 

The extra baggage at the airport was about the same as the cost of the wine....gorgeous stuff.

• Like 2

To a certain extent I do agree with Nyezovs comments about wine snobbery.  

Jilly Goolden does rather wax too lyrical about wine.

"Have a sniff,” she says, putting her nose into a glass of chenin blanc and going quiet. “Sort of honey… honeydew melon… a little smell of cream… it reminds you of lying in bed upstairs and having a tiny waft of someone marvellous having made you breakfast downstairs. You get that smell of toast and butter… mmm.”

Bloody hell love, it's wine....:laugh:

But, I really enjoy a decent glass of Australian Shiraz, & in my opinion in the same price bracket, it beats the French Syrah as it's called there.

At the moment, I'm enjoying a perky glass of Chateau Leo....

:laugh:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Don't think I ever heard a joke from Finland, despite living there for a while.

You have to be patient, jokes are told slooowly, so you don't missunderstand anything, especially the point...?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, wgdanson said:

For the price.........my home-made stuff here.

My Wine.jpg

Do you make it, or do you mix Tipco juice with LaoKhao? ?  I think that's what most commercial wines here taste like.

I did have 1 good bottle here quite a few years ago, but I never knew the name of it because it was a blind tasting session, where we all buy a bottle and had to rate them (I guess it's just a jumped up version of a beer game).

The best wines I've had by far were in Livigo Italy.  I drink red if I have the chance, but it was a wine taste in a Deli to encourage sales.  I came out with white, rose as well as red.  They'd give you some to try, then a biscuit with it, and the taste transformed, then with cheese, then the biscuit (cracker actually) and the cheese together.  I don't have words to describe it, but got half a dozen bottles to take back to UK.  All pleased with myself I opened a bottle at Sunday dinner and all of them were absolutely average.

I'm told that if you take them from altitude just down to sea level (never mind on an aircraft) they don't make it.  No idea why that would be, but these things transformed into 'also rans' that's for sure.  I so wish my family could have experienced them.  They weren't expensive either (Livigno being tax free).

Edited by Shiver

6 hours ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Vodka

Only if it's been in the freezer for a couple of hours to make it syrupy.  Stolly did me a lot of damage...well I did myself a lot of damage with Stolly, haven't touched it in many years.

Edited by Shiver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Only if it's been in the freezer for a couple of hours to make it syrupy.  Stolly did me a lot of damage...well I did myself a lot of damage with Stolly, haven't touched it in many years.

Same except with Absolut and Finlandia

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

That's easy. Booth's Premium Shiraz, a small winery on the southern side of the Warby Range in Victoria. At its peak 1990 to 1997. Couldn't buy it at any retail outlet, was only sold at the cellar door. $15 a bottle, better than anything 10 times the price. I used to buy 2 - 3 dozen every time I visited there. You had to be quick, because it was sold out about 6 weeks after the years' vintage was released.

It was the kind of rich, full-bodied red that insisted another glass was necessary. Cliffy Booth, the winemaker, passed away early 2000's. The secret died with him, because later vintages produced by his family were never the same.

I had some very good South African Shiraz for about $6 a bottle in Jo'burg..........I doubt they sell it outside the country, spent a month there and think I went thru about 30 bottles...............it tasted so good.