What happens if you passport application is not ready and your visa runs out?

I'm applying for a new passport, out of pages.

Now there is plenty of time left, but this is THailand...

So what happens if it takes longer than expected and my passport isn't ready before my visa expires..

Do I need to pay overstay? Or can I get an extension at immigration in Jomptien?

I'm on a 30 days extension now...!

If you have your old passport and it has not been canceled you could leave and re-enter the country.

There is no extension you can get at immigration. If needed you could apply for an extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country after the application is denied.

• Like 1

Old passport doesn't have enough pages to do a visa run, and embassy is keeping it, I'm sending it via EMS to them.

For the 7 days extension, they would give it to me even though I'm already on a 30 day extension from my tourist visa?

What I mean is that the 60 days is over, and now on the 30 days extra

2 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

Old passport doesn't have enough pages to do a visa run, and embassy is keeping it, I'm sending it via EMS to them.

For the 7 days extension, they would give it to me even though I'm already on a 30 day extension from my tourist visa?

What I mean is that the 60 days is over, and now on the 30 days extra

The 7 days are given due to refusal of standard 30 day extension. These 7 days are meant to get your affairs in order and leave the country.

But application for an extension would require having a passport.  You should be prepared to pay overstay if passports are not returned in time.  Do not believe 'this is Thailand' will make passport application longer than normal so you are probably OK.

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But application for an extension would require having a passport.  You should be prepared to pay overstay if passports are not returned in time.  Do not believe 'this is Thailand' will make passport application longer than normal so you are probably OK.

Canadian embassy says 20 business days, I'm sending application on Monday , visa expires October 7th, so I have a few extra days...!

You've kind of 'dropped yourself in it'.... 

The VFS do not take your passport but instead clip the corner of the page when you collect your renewal. 

Doing the renewal process by post has left you vulnerable - That said, you should have a letter of receipt with you (???) which states your passport is under renewal, thus anyone looking for your ID should be ok with this. 

If you are in a 'sticky spot' your only option could be to collect your passport and request a Visa Extension (which it seems may not be available as you are already on an extension) - thus you'll have to do a border run... BUT, you say you don't have enough space for entry stamps.

There is also the additional risk of not being permitted to re-enter Thailand on back to back Visa's which could place you in a rather sticky situation with a full passport, your only option would be to go to the UK and get another passport, which would become even more complex as they have just sent one to BKK which you are unable to collect if you are not permitted re-entry). 

So.. ultimately you could be stuck.. lesson learned... and while you are waiting for your passport to arrive you'll have to risk the overstay and getting caught (which could result in a ban). 

I'm surprised that anyone will let the passport become 100% full - OK, I'm not.

It seems lots of people do not plan ahead for things such as this. 

I'm in the process of applying for my Son's passport renewal - the Website says 3-4 weeks, so you should 'get away with it' if you've just started on the 30-day extension. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The VFS do not take your passport but instead clip the corner of the page when you collect your renewal. 

I guess you missed the OP's most recent post. You writing about a UK passport.

11 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

Canadian embassy says 20 business days, I'm sending application on Monday , visa expires October 7th, so I have a few extra days...!

40 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

The passport was fine, but the idiot at immigration didn't listen to me, probably deliberately, and to be an <deleted>, and he put a stamp smack in the middle of my last extra page , ruining a whole page..this is what got me in this predicament...

For future reference, a border-bounce to Myanmar or entry to/from Malaysia do not involve the full-page stickers, so should fit on partially-available pages.  If you don't have 2 land-border visa-exempts, you just need to carry 20K (should be 10K) Baht worth of cash to show if asked upon returning.  Also, at the Malaysian checkpoints (Thai side), they may require you to stay out one night before returning.

Note to others - best do apply for a new passport at the start of a 60-day (or greater) entry, if possible.  Things can/do go wrong sometimes.  And if on a shorter entry (if it was damaged or something), hold on to that old passport so you can apply for the "7-days to get out" extension to buy a little extra time.

59 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

Passport PAGES, when you have  1 ( 2 is better ) pages left, get NEW passport.

Four pages would be my limit.  One out/in to Laos for a new Thai Visa and you lose 2 pages in a flash.  Too many things can happen unexpectedly. 

I had 6 left, the last time I did it, because it timed well with a fresh 60-day permitted-stay and an embassy outreach-visit in my area.  They said "up to 2 weeks," and I got mine back (done via EMS-return, that time) exactly on day 14.

23 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

I just renewed my Passport at the Canadian Embassy last month. It took them a total of 2 weeks to have my new Passport and Old one back in my hands.

I did apply in person, although this was not very convenient for me as I had to get a flight to Bangkok and return and also overnight in Bangkok. But having said that I am very glad I did and I suggest you do the same.

I am glad I did do this in person as the Passport Photos were the wrong size so I was able to correct that and get new ones on the same day. If you mail your application in and there is a mistake, error, or omission, obviously it will take much longer.

I also had an Interview that very same day. Not sure why I needed one other than to prove I am who I say I am. If I was you and in a hurry, I really would consider showing up at the Canadian Embassy in person, and the first thing to do in the morning. It did take me all morning, including getting new Passport Photos. but since you do this once in 5 or10 years, no big deal really.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...