Can mail laptop to USA?

13 hours ago, PoeDogg said:

Are there any restrictions on mailing a laptop from Thailand to USA? 

Yes you can use Thai Post for any form of mailing of your laptops,,,As Long As You Remove Battery

They will ask at counter if you did once you declare contents for insurance

I mailed home our two laptops  rather than carry on flight.

Then put the batteries in our luggage...Funny how commercial airliners don't care but Postal does

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Did you inform the airline?
There are getting more particular about batteries because of fire danger and all the planes now carry fire-proof isolation bags for burning laptops and exploding iPhones. In Business class you can even decline your seat if you drop it down a crackz

Come now............Have you thought about that question fully?

Have you not seen the thousands who daily carry laptops & tablets on airlines?

Have you not seen passengers remove them from back packs & briefcases for screening? Then continue onto planes with them?

Have you seen any refused??  Do not they all contain a battery like the ones we put in the suitcase??

The isolated cases you speak of regarding defective phones were an isolated & corrected incident related to Samsung Galaxy Note 7 banned on all U.S. flights due to fire hazard. if I remember correctly

Edited by meechai

Yes. You are allowed to carry them in the cabin precisely because if it explodes it can be dealt with before the fire spreads with extinguishers, buckets of water,  and placed in the now required fireproof bag.

If it goes off in an inaccessible belly hold the plane burns up midair, craters in a desert or remote ocean, and everyone dies. Look up UPS Flight 6.

*On July 24, 2013,[25] the GCAA released the final investigation report. The report indicated that the fire was caused by the autoignition of the contents of a cargo pallet, which contained more than 81,000 lithium type batteries and "other combustible materials".[26]* - wikipedia

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143
  • Sad 1

Well the day I see a sign warning about batteries in luggage or am asked if carrying any disconnected laptop batteries I will be sure to say yes ?

Should be fine though as I never carry more than 80,999 batteries...so less than the 81,000 battery example you gave ??

Edited by meechai

If the size of the batterie is below the allowed limit it is legal to load a Laptop in belly hold baggage.

It is otherwise however, unwise, and the laptop is likely to be pilfered by light fingered baggage screeners and airline staff

The airline will not be responsible for the theft of valuable items, under any circumstance.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143

Last year when a friend had to return his Surface Pro notebook with a built-in battery to Microsoft USA for repair, only FedEx would take it.

Maybe because FedEx ships everything on their own, non-passenger carrying aircraft so they do not have to abide by strict battery rules whereas DHL and UPS along with EMS do ship cargo on passenger flights.

Edited by dddave