Immigration Officer coming to visit me at home after 12 month extension renewed

18 hours ago, Bodger22 said:

Has anyone heard of this type of home visit? Do you know what they are looking for? Anything to be concerned about?

Yes, it seem a new standard procedure, but I was visited by two polite police officers an early morning. They just check that you live on the address reported to Immigration when applying for extension of stay.

They'll need a photo – in my case it was so early (for me) that I had my photo taken with a towel around my waist, and early morning hair, while holding my passport with picture page open, standing next to one of the kind police officers that tried not to laugh too much ((the other one laughed while taking he snapped the photo by his smartphone) in front of home with house number visible – I just pray to that they didn't share the photo on Facebook or in other social forums...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bodger22 said:

This was at Phang Nga immigration. Visits for the extension based on marriage seem to be more common, but I think this is a new thing for retirement visa. Thanks for the other replies confirming it was a quick check on the address, But I am still interested to know if that was for marriage or retirement extension.

I lived in Nakorn Pathom province for 10 years, changed from marriage to retirement some years ago, never had a visit. Moved to Songkhla province last year and got a visit this year when i made the extension - proof of really living at this adress. And TSF; no bear, offering bear to Muslim officers is not the best idea..

1 minute ago, Sprigger said:

The whole Thai nation is built on lies and bullshit, that they can’t believe anyone is capable of telling the truth that’s why they are visiting you. We all know they can’t lie straight in bed.

Immigration.."Hello, we have come for a chat with your husband"

Wifey.."Sorry, he is having a short break in Pattaya"

"Ok, can we have his mobile number"..

"Of course, but don't phone between 10pm and 2am as he has to keep a close eye on staff at the tills"

"No ploblem, we finish just after runch anyhooo".....?

34 minutes ago, transam said:

Immigration.."Hello, we have come for a chat with your husband"

Wifey.."Sorry, he is having a short break in Pattaya"

"Ok, can we have his mobile number"..

"Of course, but don't phone between 10pm and 2am as he has to keep a close eye on staff at the tills"

"No ploblem, we finish just after runch anyhooo".....?

Yep, as my Thai wife would say quite norman!

2 hours ago, Bodger22 said:

I live in the middle of nowhere which the immigration officer seemed to know! So clearly they just want to check that I live where I say. All seems very unnecessary as I have to check in every 90 days anyway as noted! Keep calm and carry on ?

They probably just wanted to boldly go where they have never boldly gone before!?

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I really disagree with them, this country snooping so much in our lives. 

How do you feel about mobile phone data, google tracking, the Internet, smart meters, credit card tracking, smart TV and numerous other things that track us All daily ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bodger22 said:

This was at Phang Nga immigration. Visits for the extension based on marriage seem to be more common, but I think this is a new thing for retirement visa. Thanks for the other replies confirming it was a quick check on the address, But I am still interested to know if that was for marriage or retirement extension.

I can't see them trying that in places like Pattaya. It would be far too much work.

16 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I really disagree with them, this country snooping so much in our lives. 

Hardly. I've never had a home visit in over 12 years. What is the problem if they do the occasional check to see if people are living where they say they are. They actually made an appointment with the OP for their visit. That's more than reasonable.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CGW said:

How do you feel about mobile phone data, google tracking, the Internet, smart meters, credit card tracking, smart TV and numerous other things that track us All daily ?

Not the same but still invasion of your life and privacy. For them they show up and make it a spectacle for how it looks. Luckily no neighbors are home, but if so then you are farang in zoo. Makes you feel like they are your parole officer. It is in a sense a violation of our human rights.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

Hardly. I've never had a home visit in over 12 years. What is the problem if they do the occasional check to see if people are living where they say they are. They actually made an appointment with the OP for their visit. That's more than reasonable.

Invasion of privacy. We are not on parole, but pretty close to 3rd rate cannot be citizens. It is like looking down on us. We already do the 90 day nose ring check in which is bad enough. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Invasion of privacy. We are not on parole, but pretty close to 3rd rate cannot be citizens. It is like looking down on us. We already do the 90 day nose ring check in which is bad enough. 

The 90-day is online or mail-in, so not really that big of a deal.  I know this "visit" thing annoys many folks, but it is one of the few hassles inflicted which actually has some value in terms of immigration's mandate and national-security more generally.  I got held up for an extension based on pure unadulterated BS - but would have been happy for them to visit and do everything "by the book."

Just curious - has anyone reported this from an agent-submitted extension?  I would be surprised if they have.  Maybe agents don't serve some of these outlying areas, but would be curious if an agent-submitted extension in say, Phuket, involves an "address verification" visit.

5 hours ago, CGW said:

Buy yourself a sheet of copper matting an fashion a skull cap out of it. Wear at all times.

Works far better than tinfoil. Looks better too.

Immigration officers wouldn't visit unless they have been told to do so. I suspect some IO's have been complicit in giving dodgy extensions, and this photo at least proves the address was right. Only had a visit once on my first marriage extension (very hot on checking that after some fake marriages).

56 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Immigration officers wouldn't visit unless they have been told to do so. I suspect some IO's have been complicit in giving dodgy extensions, and this photo at least proves the address was right. Only had a visit once on my first marriage extension (very hot on checking that after some fake marriages).

There are far more fraudulent-extensions for retirement than marriage by an order of magnitude.  The only reason for a fraudulent marriage would be "under 50," since fraudulent retirement-extensions are much simpler - and "Cheap Charlie" types would not be getting married "for a visa."

I don't think the "visits" are a bad policy in theory.  The problem is who is enforcing it.  Because, wouldn't the same IOs who are helping with the fraudulent extensions be happy to take a pic somewhere, for a bit more incentive?  This is the heart of the problem - it's internal - and any dodgy type can go to an agent and escape all scrutiny.  As long as this is the case, actual dangerous "bad guys" have nothing to worry about. 

To solve the problem, the tea-money schemes would have to be eliminated.  I suspect anyone attempting to clean things up would not have a happy time of it.  Considering the oodles of baht on the line, which some are counting on to sustain lifestyles to which they have become accustomed, it's not hard to imagine the sort of intense reaction which would ensue from a change in policy.

12 hours ago, Spidey said:

Buy yourself a sheet of copper matting an fashion a skull cap out of it. Wear at all times.

Works far better than tinfoil. Looks better too.

Thats really amusing ? continue standing in the corner with the "Dunce" hat on ?

Happened to me a few years ago. The police, not immigration decided to do a check on all the Farangs in the area. An officer came to my gate, spoke with my wife, but I wasn`t home at the time. Instead I phoned the phone station and made an appointment to visit them, that I did.

We had a nice chat, the officer gave me some tips about home security, took down my details on a form, was even served a cup of coffee. No problems, not heard from them since. 

I was pleased the police know who I am, all about me and where I live, having nothing to hide. 2 weeks later I invited the policeman to my house for dinner, have been on good terms with them from that day.

Just cooperate, be polite and friendly, understanding they are only doing their job and you`ll have no problems.
"Only doing thier job " I have never seen a legal requirement on any immigration website that a home visit is part of the visa /allowed to stay process. Is this really legal? Checking my home? My closet? Seems way over the top and frankly very invasive to say the least.

Be happy

On 9/8/2018 at 10:21 PM, Bournville said:

"Only doing thier job " I have never seen a legal requirement on any immigration website that a home visit is part of the visa /allowed to stay process. Is this really legal? Checking my home? My closet? Seems way over the top and frankly very invasive to say the least.

Be happy

Nobody will ever be inspecting my living areas unless they use a battering ram to get in.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, baansgr said:

The joys of living under a Junta. Thats the reason

FYI - I had a friend in the USA (citizen) who married a foreigner (European) over a decade ago.  They applied for her visa, and surprise home-visits were a part of the package.  Granted, it was/is silly, when you consider the lack of uniform immigration-enforcement there.