I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

2 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

You've been lucky to make it to 62 in such excellent health, let's hope that it will continue for the rest of your life.  But one stroke, or cancer diagnosis, of motorcycle accident could instantly change your economic situation.

worse in UK only sure thing is DEATH and TAX

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The other places you mention will still have financial requirements to qualify for long stay Visa etc. Same situation different country, cost of living probably similar.

I know you have said the thread is not about how to get an extension but if you do the income letter (no proof required) from Australian consulate you can still get visa extension no matter what your finances.

Depending on your lifestyle it can still be way cheaper than Australia and probably the same as the other destinations you mention.

You still have an income better than most Thais, teachers, policemen, bank workers etc. Not sure if you are saying you are having problems living on 40k or qualifying for visa on 40k ?

There is currently no financial requirements for obtaining a long-term retirement visa in Cambodia. There is an age requirement which the OP easily satisfies.  You are not permitted to work and if caught doing so will be required to leave in seven days, and fined some small amount.

Bt40,000 equates to about US1,200. Can live very comfortably on that in Chinodia, even in Phnom Penh.

Edited by Yme
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Health care for the elderly is unnatural and pointless, I accept my fate whatever it may be.

Enjoy your erectile dysfunction, adult diapers, limited mobility and dementia, hopefully, I'll give them a miss.

YA,ME TO IF I GET SICK, GO TO PATS AND JUMP, 71 IS OLD ENOUGH , SO WHY HANG AROUND IN PAIN

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Chiang Rai is quite vibrant if you know where to look. It's actually more central to a number of attractions than Chiang Mai, although admittedly the bar scene is a lot smaller.

I’ve been there a few times and really liked it, easy to get around, facilities okay and people pretty helpful. Also a great place for daytripping to the surrounding areas ... only downside is the pollution during the burning season ... so for six months a year it’s great.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

So you are going to give limited mobility a miss!!

What a crazy comment, maybe you will like me have no choice regarding that.

If you are going to give limited mobility a miss, stay inside your home, never ever dare to go on the roads here, as doing so you could very easily lose your mobility, due to no fault of yours, but others.

That's factored in to living anywhere it's not the point he's making ,but who's gonna wipe your arse and spoon feed you gruel and make sure you take your pills that keep you alive when age takes its toll,my sister takes care of my 95yo mum and the rest of us help her as much as we can,ain't going to be anybody to do that for me.you got anybody?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, adammike said:

That's factored in to living anywhere it's not the point he's making ,but who's gonna wipe your arse and spoon feed you gruel and make sure you take your pills that keep you alive when age takes its toll,my sister takes care of my 95yo mum and the rest of us help her as much as we can,ain't going to be anybody to do that for me.you got anybody?

Yes i have somebody do that for me, being paraplegic i need help with many things, and my wife does that for me.

• Like 1

You can live in Thailand on much less than 40,000 baht per month IF you live in a smaller city, like in Issan, or northern Thailand. Many things are much less costly in Chiang Rai than they are in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket for example. Also avoid the bars and girls. They will suck your wallet and bank account dry. 

If you have become attached to Buddhism in your time in Thailand.....(as happened to me. I went for Refuge and Five Precepts) then you could be happy in Cambodia or Vietnam. (Although Vietnam is primarily Mahayana Buddhist, not Theravāda, but the basics are the same).  You will find almost no Buddhism in the Philippines. A few small Mahayana Buddhist temples in Manila, and Cebu city, and I think one small one in Cagayan de Oro. I think that’s about it. Philippines is more than 90% Christian. Primarily Catholic. With Muslims. Most Muslims on Mindanao. So if you love the Buddhist culture, you might miss the temples if living in the Philippines. And Philippines might not be cheaper than Thailand. Again, the big thing is what level of living style you feel that you need. That is what will effect your spending.

But if you are smart with your  spending, live simply in a small apartment in a smaller city, and leave the bars and girls alone except for maybe a special treat once a month, you should be able to live on less than 40,000 baht a month. I’ve met expats living in Chiang Mai on much less.  All depends on the lifestyle you desire. Some people need U.S. $4,000.00 per month. Some need only $700.00 or $800.00 a month. How much luxury do you require? ?  If you wish to live at a western style level, you will need about U.S. $2000.00  -  $3000.00 minimum. 

I can live there easily on a bit less than $1000.00 per month.

Up to you what your needs and desires are that effects your spending.  Good luck. 

Edited by Catoni
Correction
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I know a couple of Thai families living quite well on 10k/month (and paying rent and uni fees for their kids out of that).

As for health care, some of us aren't constantly ill, my last visit to a doctor was 4 years back for a few stitches after a crash (about 1,000bht). I live well on 20k/month + house loan repayments.

I've not had any health insurance since I left the UK.

You cannot live "WELL" on 10K per month with two kids in school anywhere. Don't worry, no health care will certainly catch up with you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Chiang Rai is quite vibrant if you know where to look. It's actually more central to a number of attractions than Chiang Mai, although admittedly the bar scene is a lot smaller.

If his funds are limited to less than 40,000 Baht per month, he should be avoiding the bar scene. The bars and girls will suck your wallet empty. Leave it for maybe a once in a month treat. Lots of foolish farangs blow it all and end up flying home when they really wanted to stay in Thailand. Some even end up begging on Thailand streets. 

If your funds are very limited, you can’t afford the bar scene all the time.  Foolishness. 

I would have a very hard time making ends meet let alone enjoying my life on 40k Baht a month. I rarely drink, don’t smoke, but still 40k would be very tight.

At least back in most of Farang land there is a social safety net to cover healthcare, pension top ups for the poor, programs for seniors etc.

Yes I would miss my GF and how well she takes care of me but being destitute in Thailand is just not a good option for any farang.

I don’t think there are significant savings to be had Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Come on we all know the guys spending $$$$s have a new McMansion, new Fortuna and a gold-digger (with extended family) hanging off them.

I live a completely western lifestyle on 20k + housing, but I do cook all my own western food.

I agree totally. You’re absolutely right BritManTwo. I don’t know if you have a family with you, but best wishes to you and your family. 

• Like 1

I had a friend in a similar position but worse than you in that he had less than 40,000 baht a month. You asked for advice and he did also. My advice is get a one way ticket to your home country and get medical care, benefits and a job. Yes a job. Make some money and don’t come back until you have enough money saved. You could find some type of work and have a better life.  Good luck. 

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Come on we all know the guys spending $$$$s have a new McMansion, new Fortuna and a gold-digger (with extended family) hanging off them.

I live a completely western lifestyle on 20k + housing, but I do cook all my own western food.

I would spend of the order of 70K baht a month. That's living well, eating out every day, playing golf, and having a Thai GF. IMHO she's worth every baht I spend on her.

I don't drink much, and avoid the bars. I've given up buying expensive cars.

If it came to a pinch, I could probably cut down to about 30 K baht and become a miserable git. But why should I?

• Haha 1

There's a Lifestyle Index report which is quite interesting. Here's an excerpt:

"Hong Kong is the most expensive city in Asia to have a fine dining experience at a cost of USD 287, followed by Singapore (USD 283) and Shanghai (USD 280). On the other hand, the best priced degustation dinner can be found in Mumbai (USD 113). On aggregate, the price of fine dining in Asia as measured by our Index has risen by 1.2% y/y in US dollar terms with the most significant movements in Bangkok (+17.3%) and Manila (-7.0%)."

The link is here:  https://www.juliusbaer.com/fileadmin/user_upload/2017-10-17_JuliusBaer_WealthReportAsia2017_Report_EN.pdf