I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

20K/month doable?

Perhaps, if no car, medical insurance, no clothes ordered overseas, no vacations abroad, no premium TV, minimal seafood, animal protein, or imported food. Ten years ago did this as a social experiment (not out of necessity), and it had the feel of grinding frugality. Nowadays, I'd say 40K baht would be the absolute minimum for sustainable living.

2 hours ago, dginoob said:

Depends where you live in the UK. I bought a 3-bedroom house for £50k 5 or 6 years ago (granted it hadn't been decorated since the 70's, and I subsequently spent 15k or so on it). The rent I get from that is less than half of what my rent is here for a condo.

Exceptions can be found, but they are not the rule.

Edited by mommysboy

15 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Buzz off dill brain.

You are a sick person,indeed.

I've deliberately refrained from posting photo's of Thai kids for a reason.

You for all I know you could be one of those reasons.

Edited by Tanoshi

On 9/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, wgdanson said:

All those things you mention are not FREE. They are/were paid for by UK TAXPAYERS, who now in their twilight years cannot get a decent pension.

I was looking back for that post to say *exactly* what you have already written.  I agree with you nothing less than 100%. 

You paid for it, it wasn't free.  Newbs on the block think it's free but it's not, it's all of us that paid for it (they're making their own bed, and we'll likely be gone by then, or at least have stopped listening).

I gave up on 'the system' and looked to find my own path...under duress.  I'm fortunate (by a roll of the dice, smarts (unlikely), friends (surely)), and one way or another reinvented and excelled much better than I ever could have done under their rule, and to be able to pay back in spades those that gave me a lift up when I needed it most.

You can change your flag, your location, your language or anything else except your values.  Please don't undermine yourself, please... you make us all look like doing what we care about means nothing, and that's bordering on blasphemy, and who knows how much retaliatory kindness you can handle before you crumble? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dginoob said:

Depends where you live in the UK. I bought a 3-bedroom house for £50k 5 or 6 years ago (granted it hadn't been decorated since the 70's, and I subsequently spent 15k or so on it). The rent I get from that is less than half of what my rent is here for a condo.

Surprised.  In UK I did "buy to let" (mid 90's) before it was a 'thing', and had 70% mortgage (buy cash/renovate/mortgage/next property) with roughly 1.5x monthly income to mortgage (since nothing is ever 100% rented).  This was North West England suburban which is hardly the centre of high prices, but even then (more than 2 decades ago) it was perhaps 15-16K per month in todays exchange rate.  Oh how I wish I'd been here at that time with that kind of income x that number of properties at that exchange rate.... and then '97, which I was completely unaware of.  Buggr, you miss all the opportunities you don't take part in I guess.

A former business partner however who was here in Thailand said that in his country (Aus) it was the other way around, in that you pay less for rent than mortgage since you'll never own it.  The UK (then) was "you're not committing to 25 years, so there's a premium".  I guess YMMV depending of quite a few factors (location, timing, social attitude and more).

5 hours ago, dginoob said:

Some might say that a 600k flat in London is hardly the rule.

No that is an exception.  But generally, while we can say rents in excess of 1000 pcm are common in London for even a modest flat, the same in Bangkok can he had for 350 pcm. 

10 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

No that is an exception.  But generally, while we can say rents in excess of 1000 pcm are common in London for even a modest flat, the same in Bangkok can he had for 350 pcm. 

Try getting even  1 bedroom place for that in London 

19 hours ago, WinterGael said:

There is the problem. I'll be living in Thailand with my wife on a permanent basis next year... My income is 30000 to 35,000 baht per month. Medical will be for provincial hospitals, so have been quoted at about 2000 baht per month. If things go south, is there something to return back to home country to. Free medical, that's it. On a total pension of 2000$C/month (4 years from now) I can barely afford to live in Canada, let alone support a wife there. 

I see how my wife's family lives, and even at 20 baht /Canadian dollar, I can have a better life in Thailand. And my wife does bring in an average of 10,000 /month... 

???

You can live quite well on $2000 a month in Canada. Much better than in Thailand. Of course, one would assume that by the time you are retired, you would own your own place instead of renting. My mom gets less than $2000 a month and she lives like a queen. People over 60 in Canada get a lot of discounts, she only buys organic at the supermarkets and on top of that she is able to save money. Travels to Europe twice a year.

Canada is dirt cheap buddy. You are in for quite a shock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You can live quite well on $2000 a month in Canada. Much better than in Thailand. Of course, one would assume that by the time you are retired, you would own your own place instead of renting. My mom gets less than $2000 a month and she lives like a queen. People over 60 in Canada get a lot of discounts, she only buys organic at the supermarkets and on top of that she is able to save money. Travels to Europe twice a year.

Canada is dirt cheap buddy. You are in for quite a shock.

LOL. Take it up with numbeo, bro.

Per numbeo:

You would need around 155,223.67฿ (6,235.68C$) in Toronto to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 70,000.00฿ in Chiang Mai (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax). You can change the amount in this calculation.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Canada&city1=Chiang+Mai&city2=Toronto&tracking=getDispatchComparison

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=Thailand&city1=Toronto&city2=Bangkok&tracking=getDispatchComparison

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

LOL. Take it up with numbeo, bro.

Per numbeo:

You would need around 155,223.67฿ (6,235.68C$) in Toronto to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 70,000.00฿ in Chiang Mai (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax). You can change the amount in this calculation.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Canada&city1=Chiang+Mai&city2=Toronto&tracking=getDispatchComparison

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=Thailand&city1=Toronto&city2=Bangkok&tracking=getDispatchComparison

First of all you are comparing Toronto to Chiang Mai? Seriously? 

I also did say if you own your place, bud.

Regardless, these sites are highly inaccurate as they assume local standard of living vs. Western standard of living.

According to these very inaccurate sites, the average condo in Bangkok is a lot cheaper than Toronto, but of course they include a complete unlivable condos in their averages that even homeless people wouldn't be put  in Canada.

Compare the price of condo in Ekkamai built by Cambodian slave labor vs a condo in downtown Toronto and Ekkamai will be more expensive.

The only thing cheaper I find in Thailand is transportation, accommodation (not always true), the price of chicken and for some reason Ritter chocolate. Of course, local fruits will be cheaper too.

Anyway, here's my budget for my first month in Toronto. I live right smack downtown. It's supposedly the most expensive city in Canada.

Condo fees (includes electricity) $396

Property tax $120

Food for a single person. About 60% of the stuff is organic $700

Unlimited 75mb internet $45

Netflix $10.99 (oh, the selection here)

No cell phone. It's a ripoff.

Total $1272or 31,747 baht going by today's exchange rate.

Cheap as chips.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I did say if you own your place, bud.

Regardless, these sites are highly inaccurate as they assume local standard of living vs. Western standard of living.

According to these very inaccurate sites, the average condo in Bangkok is a lot cheaper than Toronto, but of course they include a complete unlivable condos in their averages that even homeless people wouldn't be put  in Canada.

Compare the price of condo in Ekkamai built by Cambodian slave labor vs a condo in downtown Toronto and Ekkamai will be more expensive.

I studied the non-housing costs for Bangkok and Chiang Mai closely and they appear to be highly accurate. I see no reason to suspect the same isn't true about Toronto's costs. Numbeo's non-housing cost comparisons blow your claims that Canada is cheaper than Thailand out of the water. Your claims about "Cambodian slave labor" aren't substantiatable. Even if you focused exclusively on housing construction standards, I am confident that you will find on an apples-to-apples/cost per square meter basis Thailand is cheaper.

We're not living in 1492 where people can make outlandish claims about the New World which no one can challenge. It just cracks me up when people just make up crap to support their narrative. Sorry if my calling you "bro''" annoyed you. It was an allusion to "brother from another planet" which I assumed your forum name is derived from. No offense intended.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

How about NZ ? How do the costs of living compare?

New Zealand has become very expensive.  The killer is housing or rent, and that is assuming you can even find a place.  It's so bad in some places that locals are being housed in hotels at the government's expense because they cannot find anywhere to live at any price.

Who on earth would want to live in Canada - you’d die from boredom...

Plus it’s too cold to go outside

Plus based on my experience, Canadians are a peculiar breed best avoided....A

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

First of all you are comparing Toronto to Chiang Mai? Seriously? 

I also did say if you own your place, bud.

The only thing cheaper I find in Thailand is transportation, accommodation (not always true), the price of chicken and for some reason Ritter chocolate. Of course, local fruits will be cheaper too.

Anyway, here's my budget for my first month in Toronto. I live right smack downtown. It's supposedly the most expensive city in Canada.

Condo fees (includes electricity) $396

Property tax $120

Food for a single person. About 60% of the stuff is organic $700

Unlimited 75mb internet $45

Netflix $10.99 (oh, the selection here)

No cell phone. It's a ripoff.

Total $1272or 31,747 baht going by today's exchange rate.

Cheap as chips.

You don't even have a phone?? ? 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

You don't even have a phone?? ? 

Looks very much like my son's budget when in was a student, in Lyon (France). But he had a mobile...

What I'd be interested to know is what kind of activities, other than watching Netflix, sport, culture, etc you get in Toronto with this lifestyle.