"Sinner" poisons nine soi dogs who only "barked at night"

webfact

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Anyone who thinks Soi dogs are a good thing has lost the plot. There are no plusses. In that other post I submitted above I mentioned some good reasons to get rid of them... You found that post confusing for some reason. I forgot to add another huge negative. They cause a lot of accidents by cars trying to avoid hitting them, and motorcyclists trying to avoid hitting them and/or being bitten by them. It's quite easy to end up with a double whammy - a dog bite AND an accident at the same time. I've been chased by hundreds of soi dogs over the years and nearly been bitten many times. Some of the back sois are dangerous places to go as they hang out in vicious packs. These are areas where there's not much traffic, so they focus on whatever comes through. They own many of these sois.

Now, instead of telling how confused you are, how about you give us some good reasons why soi dogs are a good thing. Even one would do. I don't care if you're an animal lover. They have their places to be, and that's not on public streets. I love tigers, but I wouldn't want one living outside my house on the street.

Do You look a bit like a Cat by any chance.?.?:violin:

10 hours ago, 300sd said:

abandoning their pets

The real problem is not "abandonment" its their thinking that their own dog roaming free is  just fine, it isn't it's an accident waiting to happen but they are too lazy to  1. take it for a walk on a leash 2. keep it within the confines of their  land boundary.

7 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

In the area around where I live in Chiang Mai, residents deliberately leave their dogs outside to roam at night as a deterrent to stop people not living there from cycling, motorbiking or walking through their Sois. These dogs will chase after and try to attack people using the Sois. Anyone not awares could end up with serious injuries.

Poisoning these dogs is a cruel and horrific way to kill them. It`s the so-called owners that should be fined for reckless behaviour, but of course it won`t happen, this is Thailand.

Hence the odd person that takes the law into their own hands

Edited by oldlakey
  • Like 1

People who have written that they are kept awake by dogs barking, I don't believe it. I stayed at one time in the Bronx in New York, and right outside was an overhead railway where trains would grind and squeal past 24 hours a day. Within a couple of days I was used to it and slept like a baby. Amazing how humans adapt.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Rhys said:

...this was done at universities as well...per instructions of......

As best I recall, universities are now practicing capture, vaccinate neuter and release programmes. Proven in many countries to be the best and only effective way, to deal with feral dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, chrissables said:

Do you clean up the dog shit before letting your children play in the road?

Keep reptiles away? 

They are part of a big problem in the country, attacking people, causing so many accidents, rabies, filthy shit everywhere. 

Your idea of educated means keeping your head in the sand, keep it there.

why would you want children playing in the road? the garden or the park is a better place. 

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Thought I saw a Tasmanian tiger down SOI Khao noi. Was gonna capture it. But on closer inspection saw it had stripes painted on it.

What's up with that?

Ah, a Thai copy. Either that, or it ran through a spray-painting booth at the wrong time.

57 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I do believe it. I have never adapted to 'noise'.

While there are no noisy dogs where I live, any sort of noise keeps me awake. If there's reasonably heavy rain during the night it wakes me up. Next door's cockerels wake me up at 4 a.m.

Regular street parties for weddings or funerals stop me going to sleep. The earplugs idea doesn't work very well for me, especially as they don't stop the low bass from the party speakers.

Thais seem to love noise. When I've asked in the past why it's so, I've been told the noise scares the ghosts away. I remember someone living on their own had the TV on all night to be able to sleep, in order to avoid the scary quietness.

It's a little strange for me. I can sleep through a thunderstorm and cockerels crowing, but other sounds like the alarm going off or the wife turning on her pleasuring device wake me up straight away.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

It's a little strange for me. I can sleep through a thunderstorm and a cockerel crowing, but other sounds like the alarm going off or the wife turning on her pleasuring device wakes me up straight away.

I suppose it must give you some sort of a buzz...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I suppose it must give you some sort of a buzz...

An attempt at humour there bluesofa. Like it!!!

Need more on topics like this.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

As best I recall, universities are now practicing capture, vaccinate neuter and release programmes. Proven in many countries to be the best and only effective way, to deal with feral dogs.

26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

How does that stop them barking?

It doesn't. Hence the afore mentioned ear plugs. They do work.

I live in a village full of dogs, but never loose a night's sleep.

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:
38 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

31 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

How does that stop them barking?

So I take it the logic is that hopefully the number of soi dogs will eventually reduce, due to their inability to reproduce?

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Earplugs lol

Then you may not hear your smoke alarm or someone breaking in etc 

The poison guy did everyone a favour

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So I take it the logic is that hopefully the number of soi dogs will eventually reduce, due to their inability to reproduce?

I see your point. Any sensible person, including both dog haters and lovers, should see that the stray/feral issue is a massive public health issue and should be treated as such.

For me it would be quite simple:

a) assess the impact of the problem i.e. monitor all bites, reports of nuisances, road accidents, etc. over a given period;

b) fix the problem as humanely as possible once the public gets informed of the magnitude of the disaster;

Education of the public should start right now. Dogs are only dogs, not an endangered species. They are entitled to "special" consideration only when a Master/Pet relationship is established an proven.

7 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I've heard Thais say they like the dog situation as it is because they think it deters thieves in some situations.

I think a motion-activated floodlight or a burglar alarm would do the same. There again, I suppose dogs aren't prone to power outages though.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Feeble! Are you suggesting that dogs don't chase motorcycles?... or just needed a place to use your emoticons.

Old Mongers of Pattaya couuld be at risk  as they lurk the dark Sois i suppose. Catcha Motorbike Taxi, young Thais have no worries, Mongers n Muts part of Thai Life  in Fun City..

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

That's the logic and is was, in fact happens. The pack slowly declines until there are not enough of them to protect their patch. A new pack then moves in and the program has to be repeated. However that is a generation away.

If you cull the lot in one fell swoop as Mr. sinner has done, A new pack will quickly take over and you're back where you started. So I'm afraid he hasn't really achieved much at all. Just a short reprieve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ks45672 said:

Earplugs lol

Then you may not hear your smoke alarm or someone breaking in etc 

The poison guy did everyone a favour

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

I've heard Thais say they like the dog situation as it is because they think it deters thieves in some situations.

Ks. We don't actually have a smoke alarm, but if we did, I'm sure that my wife, who has younger, hence more acute hearing than I would. Especially as she does not wear ear plugs.

I agree with stud's point. A break-in our village is unheard of and I'm sure the dogs have something to do with it. Besides, a burglar is likely to make much less noise that a pack of street dogs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1