Recent Change of Extension status - retire to marriage (jomtien 09/18)

Good information- but I am curious why you would provide a copy of the Chanote.  In almost 5 decades of extensions both marriage and  retirement- I have never been asked for a Chanote. My wife is the owner of the house and I provide her ID Copy and T ambien Ban (Blue Book).

Were you asked for the Chanote or did you just provide it as part of the packet? It seems a strange request by Immigration when the other documents prove marriage and address.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gamini said:

These checks are necessary because many foreigners have "arranged" marriages with Thai women just in order to stay here. So you should not complain.

Hardly a complaint-  A Chanot proves who owns the property/house-  It is no value to anyone  to prove whether the marriage is legitimate. The affirmation for marriage- the trip to the Amphur for registration and the documents in Thai prove the marriage exists.  then they make a home visit to make sure the marriage is legitimate

At one time- Immigration asked me to provide my old passport  to prove I was in Thailand at the time of my marriage- even though I had been married for 25 years and had  the complete marriage packet required by Thai authorities.  The passport was 25 years  old when I gave it to them and then they questioned why my  entry was stamped as 15 days instead of 30 days.  When I informed them that was the Thai Immigration law 25 years ago- they stopped the interrogation and gave me the extension. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Good information- but I am curious why you would provide a copy of the Chanote.  In almost 5 decades of extensions both marriage and  retirement- I have never been asked for a Chanote. My wife is the owner of the house and I provide her ID Copy and T ambien Ban (Blue Book).

Were you asked for the Chanote or did you just provide it as part of the packet? It seems a strange request by Immigration when the other documents prove marriage and address.

They asked for chanote, it seemed odd to me as well but a unique situation changing extension, not just renewing. We had all the documents so maybe she just wanted to show some power and ask for something we didnt have, I had it with me so wife just ran outside and copied it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

Why would you want PR when for basically the same requirements you can apply for citizenship?

Yes, will probably try for Citizenship rather than PR, PR was less letters to type, lol. Hopefully marriage extension is the start of the process.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:44 AM, Peterw42 said:

Copy (A3 reduced to A4) of chanote (I presume if you rent it would be rental lease etc)

At that office, if you rent, you need, instead, the rental-lease, the landlord's ID-Card, his house-book, the house-book for where you live, plus the chanote for where you live - all signed by the landlord.  The house-books cannot be "too old" (no age specified), or it will be requested you have your landlord go to an amphoe for new copies (hope he lives nearby / in-country, and has plenty of spare time for such things).

On 9/7/2018 at 6:27 PM, Peterw42 said:

They asked for chanote, it seemed odd to me as well but a unique situation changing extension, not just renewing. We had all the documents so maybe she just wanted to show some power and ask for something we didnt have, I had it with me so wife just ran outside and copied it. 

They will be coming to your house anyway, so will be confirming where you live.  So, yes, it's about finding something you don't have - or cannot get before your current extension expires - hoping you will give up and pay an agent, because we know where some of that 10x of the actual extension-cost goes.

Edited by JackThompson

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

At that office, if you rent, you need, instead, the rental-lease, the landlord's ID-Card, his house-book, the house-book for where you live, plus the chanote for where you live - all signed by the landlord.  The house-books cannot be "too old" (no age specified), or it will be requested you have your landlord go to an amphoe for new copies (hope he lives nearby / in-country, and has plenty of spare time for such things).

I have never come across them wanting Chanote before but have only ever done retire extensions,,I did one when I was renting and they only wanted lease document. It maybe has something to do with changing type of extension.

16 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I have never come across them wanting Chanote before but have only ever done retire extensions,,I did one when I was renting and they only wanted lease document. It maybe has something to do with changing type of extension.

If referring to Jomtien, based on reports I have read from those applying for retirement-extensions, that desk seems to have a completely different attitude and process than that which applicants experience at conversions and family. 

• 1 month later...