Guns blazing in Chiang Mai, huge drug haul seized

webfact

Guns blazing in Chiang Mai, huge drug haul seized

By The Nation

a079fd6d0ae4e6df03c095f498be7de0.jpeg

Border Patrol police engaged in a shootout with drug traffickers in Chiang Mai on Thursday night.

At least one of the bad guys was wounded, but all eluded capture.

The police had to settle for a haul of 4.4 million methamphetamine pills and 97 kilograms of crystal meth.

e9041c116e772fdf0bebb3a494893ac1.jpeg

The 30-minute gun battle took place at a checkpoint on Ban Doi Laem-Ban Tad Mok Road in Mae Ai district. Police had been tipped off about a drug shipment coming through.

Three suspects in a pickup truck opened fire in a bid to force their way through the police blockade.

After an exchange of fire, the suspects abandoned their vehicle and fled into a forest.

Police found traces of blood around the pickup and the drugs under canvas in the back.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353946

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-07

So the police are either incompetent with guns or they deliberately shoot to miss as they or their seniors are complicit in illegal drug smuggling.  Oh sorry forgot that this is the RTP 

Edited by Esso49
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yes. However, about 200 km north of Chiang Mai city.

But, the story did not state Chiang Mai 'city'.  It was referring to Chiang Mai province.  As for Chiang Mai 'city', I often hear locals (here at my house!) refer to it as "Chiang Mai town" or by its actual name, "Muang".

Chiang Mai province, as I know to my detriment, goes beyond Tha Ton east towards Mae Salong for 20 kms. Thats 200kms from immigration in C Mai city as I well know. From Chiang Dao all the way around the border to the infamous village of Huay San. Despite the risks drug dealing is the only way for these villagers to own a fancy house and a big car, so they partake despite the danger. Several big hauls have used army brought in especially to reduce the risk of collusion between local officials and the drug carriers. It has long been suspected that deals were done, money changed hands and efforts were superficial rather than serious. Tip offs usually result in a large amount of well armed uniforms that are reluctant to bring anything but dead bodies back to base so it is rather odd that all 3 suspects got away to tell the story. But Doi Laem is pretty much a wild mountain district and hilltribes who know the area would have a great advantage in a chase.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

As I am the first one to post in this thread, may I have the honour of suggesting that there was a collaboration between the smugglers and the soldiers and a brown envelope was involved ?

When "ALL Elude Capture" your theory is probable right also there can now be a different count of the amount of drugs seized, thus leaving some to be resold to the drug dealers.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, sanemax said:

As I am the first one to post in this thread, may I have the honour of suggesting that there was a collaboration between the smugglers and the soldiers and a brown envelope was involved ?

I am not the first to post on this thread but it would be unusual if there wasn't collusion with either the police or the army.  Now that the junta is in place the police and the army probably have to share the spoils and no doubt they will be squabbling over the distribution rights for this haul. ?

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

I am not the first to post on this thread but it would be unusual if there wasn't collusion with either the police or the army.  Now that the junta is in place the police and the army probably have to share the spoils and no doubt they will be squabbling over the distribution rights for this haul. ?

Do you have evidence of this or is that just what think probably happens ?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Do you have evidence of this or is that just what think probably happens ?

13 years of living in Chiang Mai, with three of my wife's close relatives being in the police at various ranks.  I remember the chagrin in the family when after a coup some years ago the army got the first pick of the spoils.  I am talking about the border areas here.