Anyone know what these are and should I remove them ?

Andrew Dwyer

They look like some sort of insect which attaches to my garden wall usually from a short thread but sometimes not.

IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6202.JPG

I get a few of these on my side of the wall and just knock them off when I see them.

But on the backside of the wall, where there’s a 2 metre no mans land before the next Moobahn starts, there are literally hundreds of them.

IMG_6201.JPG

Apologies for the photo, I was literally hanging upside down over the wall [emoji23]

You must have never lived outside the city

Yes I admit to not having lived in the country.

The small amount on my side of the wall are not worrying but when I saw the hundreds hanging from the other side I wondered if they maybe detrimental, I.e some sort of mosquitoes or the suchlike.

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes I admit to not having lived in the country.

The small amount on my side of the wall are not worrying but when I saw the hundreds hanging from the other side I wondered if they maybe detrimental, I.e some sort of mosquitoes or the suchlike.

Mosquitos are born in shallow, silent water, like puddles, they NEED water. Eggs on twigs and so on.

Caterpillars make cocoons hanging like this to develop to butterfly, moths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Mosquitos are born in shallow, silent water, like puddles, they NEED water. Eggs on twigs and so on.

Caterpillars make cocoons hanging like this to develop to butterfly, moths.

Thank you sir,

yes I knew mosquitoes were born in water ( I lived in S.America for many years and could have no standing water in the garden due to Dengue, health authorities used to come round and check ) I don’t know why I said mosquitoes.

( Senior moment !! )

Anyhoo, I think you are right, the general consensus seems to be some sort of moth .

Thanks to all .

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thank you sir,

yes I knew mosquitoes were born in water ( I lived in S.America for many years and could have no standing water in the garden due to Dengue, health authorities used to come round and check ) I don’t know why I said mosquitoes.

( Senior moment !! )

Anyhoo, I think you are right, the general consensus seems to be some sort of moth .

Thanks to all .

no problem sometimes we do have that senior moment

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not quite the same, I have seen those on occasion as they crawl up the wall.
Where I lived before Thailand they were plentiful .

These are bag worms, but they`re not really a worm. Inside are developing caterpillars. Once the  caterpillars are mature they will infest a garden and feed on trees. Type bag worm in Google and click on images.

• Like 1

Well seems like my mystery is solved:

They are Bagworm Moths !
Thanks to all the answers, my apologies to 80A8 who answered my question early doors but I failed to recognise it from google image.

Second prize goes to Juan B Tong for his Latin stab in the dark !! What he meant to say was “Thyridopteryx ephemeraeformis” but as the saying goes “ nice try but no cigar “.