Banter - and Thai culture regarding boundaries

BurgerGung

My main goal has been to get students to speak. Banter works well. And six-pack-abs are among the things I like to jest about.

Am middle aged and do have a paunch. But having my belly fat felt up has happened a few times. Students aged 11 and 17 did that. Is this normal?

Just asking.

Serves me right, talking about "sic-pack-abs".

Thais are generally a little more touchy than some cultures.   So, on their part, it wouldn't be viewed as particularly wrong, but it is a good idea to set boundaries with the students and I would avoid letting them do that.

When I taught younger children, they often liked to touch the hair on my arms.

In general also females should not touch males or vice versa.  

Getting them to speak is important, but don't become a clown. They wont take you seriously and you'll end up with a class that is in control. 

Have you had any teacher training? There are lots off effective ways to get them to speak that are more structured and that can be used when you give them tests later on in the term.

• 1 month later...

At every English camp I’ve been to, where we are allowed to dress down, the students have always been fascinated with my chest hair. There’s a fair amount of touching and pulling too. Same things happens at a nearby water park where I sometimes take a bunch of the neighborhood kids (in fact I’m there right now).

Archived