Order threatens Bangkok’s charm

rooster59

Leave the vendors alone. Fix the sidewalks instead. Even with the vendors gone, you still can not walk on some sidewalks without the risk of snapping your ankle in some broken concrete, falling into a hole that ends up in sewer water or avoiding dangling electrical wires. Not to mention getting hit by a motor bike.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/8/2018 at 7:22 AM, Esso49 said:

Bangkoks charm may be considered being enhanced by street vendors but there again,  in few years time it will become the worlds largest floating market when it  becomes flooded.

The VENICE of SE Asia just with lots of plastic bags and rubbish swimming in the "roads" ?
Do the vendors learn to swim in the next few years ? ?

22 hours ago, CGW said:

"Bangkok charm" what charm? if you visit for a couple of days and enjoy some crappy street food and riding in a noisy tuk tuk, breathing in the obnoxious filth of the city - great, then get away to somewhere where you are not fighting traffic & filth ? Doubt those that are moaning about the "loss" actually live or have lived there!

Wrong. I do. And you?

6 hours ago, rosst said:

I could not have said it with such eloquence, it reminds me of the sanitation of Singapore and the destruction of Bugis Street. 

Terribly sad. 

The toilets on Bugis Street really needed the use of a small tactical nuclear warhead to improve them.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The toilets on Bugis Street really needed the use of a small tactical nuclear warhead to improve them.

I must be the only person that went to Bugis Street and didn't like it! If you go anywhere at 02:00 your generally going to have a good time regardless, Bugis St was full of drunks & trannies ?

But the beer was cheap and there was no where else to go at that time!

Tropicana when it was open was brilliant ? 

12 minutes ago, CGW said:

I must be the only person that went to Bugis Street and didn't like it! If you go anywhere at 02:00 your generally going to have a good time regardless, Bugis St was full of drunks & trannies ?

But the beer was cheap and there was no where else to go at that time!

Tropicana when it was open was brilliant ? 

That was one of the main reasons that I went there.

There are plenty of places the vendors could use without blocking the footpaths, but do they ? No, of course not. They could set up underneath the footbridges blocking half the pavement, or in between the assorted poles, derelict phone boxes, etc that line the footpath, but they choose to use the vacant, clear part of the footpath. Just this morning there was a woman selling the Buddha garlands and offerings on Sukhumwit near Onnut BTS. There is a footbridge taking up half the space and she chose to set up shop on the other half, blocking pedestrian traffic when she could have been 2 meters away under the bridge and out of the way.

People should remember that life in Bangkok is not the same as a generation ago .....the population has increased and is more concentrated in multi story condos, so the population density is much greater, with more people needing that space on the footpaths.

8 hours ago, CGW said:

it was a different city to what it has become now.

All cities are different than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Life goes on s**t changes. There is fun everywhere, it comes from inside

43 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

There is fun everywhere, it comes from inside

Wise words indeed, reminds me off the old saying. 

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something" ?

On 9/8/2018 at 3:45 PM, Patanawet said:

Well this poster DOES live in Bangkok and uses these very streets every day for 20 years. Now Silom is dead. People used to come just to see the street market and food stalls day and nighttime. For heaven's sake it's a couple of hundred metres from how many thousands in Bangkok?

Oh, and can I see proof of your assertion that 90% of Thais are happier now -- fake news if ever I saw it!

Here, here !  More proof that jackboots are crushing the neck of the golden goose, defiling the nature of Thailand. 

Archived